Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dune trailer

C C Offline
Finally. But no "Part One" or "Volume One" in the title. Maybe that's perceived as a turn-off to audiences nowadays, to indicate such in the opening installment. Knowing that they'll have to wait maybe 2 to the 3 years for a resolution. (Unless the whole thing has already been filmed in advance, but broken in halves because of the length.) Seems to work -- that "John Wick" thing is nothing but a serial film, with "chapters" only added to the titles after the first debuted.

OTOH, maybe some of these movie franchises are retroactively appending a "One" to the starter after its original theater run. The vastly underwhelming at the box-office "Atlas Shrugged" seems to have done that. John Travolta's raspberry "Battlefield Earth" was supposed to have been a part-one, but its commercial failure and lack of money for the second installment ended that scientology cult venture of 1998.
Secular Sanity Offline
Yeah, same here. I've been waiting and watching little clips here and there. December 18th, right on!
Syne Offline
Yeah, it is only half of the first book, which means no Feyd, but hopefully it means that much more attention to detail.

I wonder where they'll cut the story.
stryder Offline
Apparently Funcom has also got Dune in the works for PC and Console, however it's suggested to be "years away". Funcom's known for its MMO's (Such as Anarchy Online amongst others) I'd hazard a guess that it's eventual release to market will be between the two Dune film releases so as to keep interest in the subject and the spice flowing.

Hopefully they'll do a better job than the ill-fated Matrix Online which lacked a development team to keep honing it and eventually it's disbandenment after mutliple owner/license switches. (Although it did introduce stories that fleshed out the characters and universe further, so if Funcom creates episode spinoff's from the stories of lesser characters, they could have some interesting fan fiction extending the Dune world).
Syne Offline
For some reason, fan fiction of Dune doesn't appeal to me. I was only really on-board with the Brian Herbert books because he was family and basing it off of Frank's notes. Dune doesn't lend itself to fan fiction and games the way something like Star Wars has. There weren't many iconic battle sites....Arrakeen was used many times. The different factions largely vied for political power. The series covers a huge span of time. Kind of like trying to make fan fiction and games about Asimov's Foundation series.
stryder Offline
(Sep 11, 2020 05:40 AM)Syne Wrote: For some reason, fan fiction of Dune doesn't appeal to me. I was only really on-board with the Brian Herbert books because he was family and basing it off of Frank's notes. Dune doesn't lend itself to fan fiction and games the way something like Star Wars has. There weren't many iconic battle sites....Arrakeen was used many times. The different factions largely vied for political power. The series covers a huge span of time. Kind of like trying to make fan fiction and games about Asimov's Foundation series.

I tend to think along the lines that an Author can't only envision and write so much. Sure some authors are great at going to lengths to put flesh on the characters (amongst other bodily parts) so it brings them to life, however there is always a point where your imagine is used to take what has been mentioned and add a lot more yourself. It's one of the reason people still like to read over just watch some rendition on the screen where the reader becomes the fan fiction writer crafting narratives in those areas that were otherwise missed.

Still it should be interesting to see if there is any spin-off and whether it actually stays true or starts rewriting it on a different path. (a lot of things nowadays have involved adaptions adding twists where there were originally none to try and keep it different from the original.)
Syne Offline
The director of Dune, Denis Villeneuve, has already announced a Dune: The Sisterhood TV series.
Syne Offline
Dune has now been delayed to October 2021, due to Covid lockdowns. Denis Villeneuve had already said that lockdowns had rushed post-production, so the bright side is that this will give them the time to do it right, and between that and more theater attendance, hopefully help ensure part two gets greenlit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Mirror Season 6 trailer Magical Realist 2 105 Jun 30, 2023 01:04 AM
Last Post: C C
  The Rings of Power trailer Magical Realist 8 267 Jul 24, 2022 09:49 PM
  Avatar: The Way of Water (trailer) Magical Realist 0 57 May 13, 2022 07:21 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  "Override" trailer (formerly titled R.I.A.) C C 3 284 Mar 9, 2021 05:32 AM
Last Post: Syne
  "Deadwood: The Movie" special trailer with cast commentary added C C 0 215 May 11, 2019 08:55 AM
  New Dune movie Magical Realist 2 841 Dec 8, 2018 11:13 PM
  Jodorowsky's Dune Magical Realist 1 365 Jun 4, 2017 04:04 AM
Last Post: Syne