Anyone see the movie, Joker?

It looks very dark and literary, but I like those types of films, if done well. I've read different reviews that paint it as a controversial attempt at making excuses for those who commit mass murders, based on being bullied or feeling outcasted. I find that if a movie can stir such conversation, whether internal or external, it has accomplished a goal beyond mere entertainment. Then again, sometimes, a movie...is just a movie, and we don't necessarily have to analyze it to death, in hopes of drawing conclusions that connect us to real life events. 

If you've seen it, what are your views? Please refrain from posting spoilers.
The commercials haven't sold me on it. They make it look like an art film. But I have read enough that I'll probably eventually see it. Doesn't sound so much that it's making excuses as it is a study of what it takes to make people do horrible things.
I'm not a fan of super heroes in general, but I do like the backstories of villains. V for Vendetta, while at first ''V'' seems like the town villain, as the film continues, you grow to empathize with him, and feel for his cause. I'm wondering if Joker will have a similar vibe.

No one is born a villain.
Huh, I never thought of "V" as a villain. Maybe more of a rebel Matrix hero, but not a villain.
(Oct 8, 2019 10:55 PM)Syne Wrote: Huh, I never thought of "V" as a villain. Maybe more of a rebel Matrix hero, but not a villain.
Yea, it was hard to tell in the very beginning, but his opposition as part of the plot, definitely saw him as a threat. I read an article earlier today that "SJW's" are warning people to shy away from seeing Joker.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/joker-mov...ly-zanotti
(Oct 8, 2019 09:58 PM)Leigha Wrote: It looks very dark and literary, but I like those types of films, if done well. I've read different reviews that paint it as a controversial attempt at making excuses for those who commit mass murders, based on being bullied or feeling outcasted. I find that if a movie can stir such conversation, whether internal or external, it has accomplished a goal beyond mere entertainment. Then again, sometimes, a movie...is just a movie, and we don't necessarily have to analyze it to death, in hopes of drawing conclusions that connect us to real life events. 

If you've seen it, what are your views? Please refrain from posting spoilers.

If I ever see it, it probably won't be soon (i.e. in a theater). 

I guess cinema and television have switched places in recent times, to where the the former is the one that's "tamer" now because it has to appeal to a much more global audience to pay for itself (Disney slash Marvel Comics caliber stuff the hot item); and is therefore more subject to uproar whenever it crosses a line. Decades ago it was the opposite of that.

Which is to say, I don't understand the controversy, as far as an empathetically treated villain being reacted to as if a "new" or unfamiliar type of unsettling trend. There are and have been numerous cable and even broadcast TV shows where there's only a fine line distinguishing the protagonists from the antagonists. Viewers actually find themselves sympathetic toward and rooting for one set of "bad guys" because that's the category which in a traditional era would subsume all the characters featured in the series.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Science Fiction Movie Filmed in Space Yazata 0 124 Jan 28, 2019 07:05 AM
Last Post: Yazata
  New Dune movie Magical Realist 2 309 Dec 8, 2018 11:13 PM
Last Post: C C
  2018 Science Fiction Movie Trailers Yazata 4 465 Dec 15, 2017 07:40 PM
Last Post: Syne
  LIFE: the movie Zinjanthropos 2 340 Apr 5, 2017 07:15 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos