Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reality is self-perceptual, therefore the soul has independent existence

Ostronomos Offline
Emphasis is on the word "self". As the universe perceives itself through us. This conclusively represents self-perception. And since reality is self-perceptual, the soul can perceive itself independently of the body.

The soul has independent existence from the body because it is made to.
Syne Offline
You obviously don't know the definition of "conclusively".
Yazata Offline
(Sep 7, 2018 11:25 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: Reality is self-perceptual, therefore the soul has independent existence

"Reality is self-perceptual"... well at least one small part of reality seems to be, namely us. (And maybe some of the other higher animals.) Just because we are self-aware (whatever that means) certainly doesn't imply that the universe as a whole is.

"therefore the soul has independent existence"... I don't see how that follows from observing that we are real and we are (arguably) aware of ourselves (whatever that means).

Quote:Emphasis is on the word "self".

I think that the idea of self-awareness is problematic if we try to spin it such that it implies there is something called a 'self' in addition to our bodies and their activities that we are somehow directly aware of. I follow the Buddhists on that one.

Quote:As the universe perceives itself through us.

You seem to be expressing your own pantheistic faith there.

Quote:This conclusively represents self-perception. And since reality is self-perceptual, the soul can perceive itself independently of the body.

??? I don't understand how you reach that conclusion.

Quote:The soul has independent existence from the body because it is made to.

By what or whom? And what is a soul?
Ostronomos Offline
(Sep 8, 2018 03:23 AM)Yazata Wrote:
(Sep 7, 2018 11:25 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: Reality is self-perceptual, therefore the soul has independent existence

"Reality is self-perceptual"... well at least one small part of reality seems to be, namely us. (And maybe some of the other higher animals.) Just because we are self-aware (whatever that means) certainly doesn't imply that the universe as a whole is.

In part the universe appears self-perceptual/ self-aware. But if the parts equal the whole in terms of composition and qualities, then it may follow that the universe as a whole is equivalently the same in those terms. Mathematically carrying the parts to the whole does not require a great deal of effort.

Quote:"therefore the soul has independent existence"... I don't see how that follows from observing that we are real and we are (arguably) aware of ourselves (whatever that means).

Again, emphasis is on the relationship between self-perceptual capability and independent function.  

Quote:I think that the idea of self-awareness is problematic if we try to spin it such that it implies there is something called a 'self' in addition to our bodies and their activities that we are somehow directly aware of. I follow the Buddhists on that one.

It is only problematic if one believes one is cut off from the rest of reality. That the parts do not equal the whole.

Quote:You seem to be expressing your own pantheistic faith there.

It is a fact that the universe has nothing but itself of which to consist and so we are the universe perceiving itself through itself.

Quote:??? I don't understand how you reach that conclusion.

Self-perception follows from the parts equaling the whole. Allow me to demonstrate it mathematically for the sake of simplicity: subsystems s recognize S within S. Where the universe's structure is given the label S and you and I would be self-perceptual subsystems s. This represents universal self-perception by s and S. And since S can contain nothing other than itself, because everything is a subset of it, S is perceiving S.

Quote:By what or whom? And what is a soul?

It was designed with intent by God. A soul can be thought of as the spiritual substance of the body equipped with its own essence and programmable structure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God only reveals His existence to a chosen few Ostronomos 16 517 Sep 6, 2023 02:08 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Quantum Theory and the Reality Self-Simulation Hypothesis Ostronomos 0 57 Jun 17, 2023 09:38 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  On the objective existence/persistence of the past Magical Realist 1 111 Jan 2, 2023 10:36 PM
Last Post: C C
  One X, therefore one God Ostronomos 2 129 Aug 14, 2022 06:12 PM
  Virtual reality is reality, too (Chalmers) + Interview with Karl Marx + A bias bias C C 0 100 Jan 13, 2022 01:00 AM
Last Post: C C
  The Reality self-simulation principle Ostronomos 0 85 Feb 8, 2021 04:51 PM
  Since reality is self-creative, we created reality before it creates us and vice vers Ostronomos 2 359 Oct 9, 2019 09:34 PM
  Reality is reflexive self-processing Ostronomos 2 281 Jul 25, 2019 04:56 PM
  Reality self-creatively actualizes itself from potential Ostronomos 0 269 May 22, 2019 06:41 PM
  My insights on sciforums are sufficient to lead one to deduce the existence of God Ostronomos 1 341 Feb 6, 2019 04:57 PM
Last Post: Syne