Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Therapy animals are everywhere. Proof that they help is not.

C C Offline
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...23e468f069

EXCERPT: [...] The trend, which has accelerated hugely since its initial stirrings a few decades ago, is underpinned by a widespread belief that interaction with animals can reduce distress — whether it happens over brief caresses at the airport or in long-term relationships at home. Certainly, the groups offering up pets think this, as do some mental health professionals. But the popular embrace of pets as furry therapists is causing growing discomfort among some researchers in the field, who say it has raced far ahead of scientific evidence.

Earlier this year in the Journal of Applied Developmental Science, an introduction to a series of articles on “animal-assisted intervention” said research into its efficacy “remains in its infancy.” A recent literature review by Molly Crossman, a Yale University doctoral candidate who recently wrapped up one study involving an 8-year-old dog named Pardner, cited a “murky body of evidence” that sometimes has shown positive short-term effects, often found no effect and occasionally identified higher rates of distress. Overall, Crossman wrote, animals seem to be helpful in a “small-to-medium” way, but it’s unclear whether the critters deserve the credit or something else is at play....
confused2 Offline
Quote:... the popular embrace of pets as furry therapists is causing growing discomfort among some researchers in the field, who say it has raced far ahead of scientific evidence.
As this is high summer in the UK and I have flowers by my door so my day starts with a confrontation with bees. The flowers are there for the bees - the more bees the better the start to the day. I open my door and wait for the bees to move aside - just common sense all round. The worst part of the day is driving to work with other drivers - something seems to happen to humans when they get into cars and it isn't pretty. Work isn't so bad and driving home is just the bit before actually being home. Once home my office/nest is in the roof of the house up with the seagulls. I am happier up here (now) with the gulls than at any other time in my life.
confused2 Offline
The thing is that dogs have been domesticated and trained by us to be furry idiots. In time of crisis does having a furry idiot by your side actually help?
Magical Realist Offline
Going by the recent attack of a therapy dog on a adjacent passenger, I'd say the evidence for dogs being that necessary is pretty exaggerated. If people are stressed out by flying on planes, they need meds or therapy. A dog is a bandaid.
confused2 Offline
I was thinking more along the lines of introducing animals into towns and cities. Prairie dogs sprang to mind as being cute and mostly harmless. It's important to find something that will integrate happily without trying to copy us. Preferably no noxious odour and doesn't attack phone cables.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ketamine therapy effective treatment for depression (study) Magical Realist 2 112 Sep 6, 2023 07:30 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Does depression exist? Nobody understands why therapy works. C C 19 501 Dec 3, 2021 11:14 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Religious leaders press minister to ban conversion therapy amid possible delay (UK) C C 0 102 Jul 8, 2020 08:23 PM
Last Post: C C
  Electroconvulsive therapy elte 2 342 Mar 7, 2018 11:26 AM
Last Post: elte
  Implant treats inflamed vagus nerve + The wild history of electroconvulsive therapy C C 0 363 Jan 14, 2017 07:22 PM
Last Post: C C
  Massage therapy elte 3 847 Oct 3, 2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Leigha