Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Implant treats inflamed vagus nerve + The wild history of electroconvulsive therapy

C C Offline
Implant zaps vagus nerve just right to treat inflammation
http://www.futurity.org/vagus-nerve-1335012-2/

EXCERPT: An implanted device—a bit like a pacemaker—electrically stimulates the vagus nerve, while inhibiting unwanted nerve activity in a targeted way. Forms of vagus nerve stimulation treatment against chronic inflammation have already been successfully tested in humans by private industry with the intent to make them available to patients. But the innovation by researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology adds an inhibiting signal could increase the clinical efficacy and therapeutic benefit of existing treatments....

Shocking the Brain: The Wild History of Electroconvulsive Therapy
http://www.livescience.com/57507-history...erapy.html

EXCERPT: [...] The public grief over Carrie Fisher's death was not only for an actress who played one of the most iconic roles in film history. It was also for one who spoke with wit and courage about her struggle with mental illness. In a way, the fearless General Leia Organa on screen was not much of an act.

Fisher's bravery, though, was not just in fighting the stigma of her illness, but also in declaring in her memoir "Shockaholic" her voluntary use of a stigmatized treatment: electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), often known as shock treatment.

Many critics have portrayed ECT as a form of medical abuse, and depictions in film and television are usually scary. Yet many psychiatrists, and more importantly, patients, consider it to be a safe and effective treatment for severe depression and bipolar disorder. Few medical treatments have such disparate images.

I am a historian of psychiatry, and I have published a book on the history of ECT. I had, like many people, been exposed only to the frightening images of ECT, and I grew interested in the history of the treatment after learning how many clinicians and patients consider it a valuable treatment. My book asks the question: Why has this treatment been so controversial? ....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ketamine therapy effective treatment for depression (study) Magical Realist 2 112 Sep 6, 2023 07:30 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Mushrooms magnify memory by boosting nerve growth C C 0 42 Feb 13, 2023 07:06 PM
Last Post: C C
  Obesity and the new medication that treats it Magical Realist 6 167 Jan 5, 2023 12:31 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Genetic study confirms sarin nerve gas as cause of Gulf War illness C C 2 114 May 17, 2022 07:24 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Does depression exist? Nobody understands why therapy works. C C 19 501 Dec 3, 2021 11:14 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Religious leaders press minister to ban conversion therapy amid possible delay (UK) C C 0 102 Jul 8, 2020 08:23 PM
  Electroconvulsive therapy elte 2 342 Mar 7, 2018 11:26 AM
Last Post: elte
  Therapy animals are everywhere. Proof that they help is not. C C 4 642 Jul 5, 2017 12:37 AM
Last Post: confused2
  How cannabidiol treats rare form of epilepsy + St. John's wort link to psychosis case C C 2 532 Jun 6, 2017 09:11 PM
  The One-Time Injection That Treats Depression C C 4 546 Jun 5, 2017 06:51 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn