Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The odd phenomenon of Ghost Apples

C C Offline
The story behind odd phenomenon of ‘ghost apples’
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/the-sto...ost-apples

What The Heck Are These 'Ghost Apples' Spotted In Michigan?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinandrew...fa5ba9402f

INTRO: Well there’s something you don’t see every day: icy casing of apples hanging off a tree. Rather appropriately, they’ve been given the moniker “ghost apples”, but what the heck are they?

Currently going viral on Twitter, these rather striking features were spotted in West Michigan by one Andrew Sietsema, who posted the images on his Facebook page. He told me that he’s not quite sure how they formed, but suspects that after some rather cold conditions and plenty of chilly rainfall, the surface of the apples froze over. The apples themselves, which are resistant to temperatures that freeze water to a greater extent, remained intact.

Later, it was just warm enough to allow the encased apples to take on some of that water and turn into a mush. “When I pruned a tree it would be shaken in the process, and the mush would slip out of the bottom of the ‘ghost apple’,” he explained. “Most apples just fell off, ice and all. But quite a few would leave a cool ‘ghost apple’ behind.”

As these apples happen to be of the Jonagold variety, Sietsema has come to calling them “Jonaghosts.”

As far as I can tell, this phenomenon hasn’t really been seen before. During a brief Twitter exchange, I wondered if botanist extraordinaire James Wong had seen anything like this before, to which he replied: “No!” before noting that he isn't sure how a frozen apple would rot and fall out of the casing like that. Some of you may be wondering if this is too good to be true....

MORE: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinandrew...fa5ba9402f

[Image: ghost-apple.jpg]
[Image: ghost-apple.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd accounts and strange tales orbit around Shasta Magical Realist 4 1,054 Feb 29, 2024 05:32 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  What If Aliens Are Here? The UFO UAP Phenomenon Kornee 9 363 Nov 11, 2022 09:26 PM
  The spooky rise of ‘ghost forests’ along the eastern seaboard C C 0 126 Mar 18, 2021 06:55 PM
Last Post: C C
  Preston Castle Ghost Adventures Secular Sanity 2 191 Jun 15, 2020 08:34 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  Gef the talking mongoose or ghost or whatever Magical Realist 1 157 Apr 2, 2020 09:56 PM
Last Post: C C
  2nd interstellar visitor not as odd as 1st + Galaxy might be full of micro-machines C C 1 307 Oct 16, 2019 09:50 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Ten of the Best Scary Ghost Stories Leigha 5 542 Sep 14, 2019 05:41 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Security guard spots ghost Magical Realist 18 2,250 Oct 30, 2018 10:27 PM
  Ghost ship shows up after 9 years of being lost at sea Magical Realist 8 2,548 Sep 6, 2018 04:12 PM
Last Post: stryder
  DOP (disappearing object phenomenon) Magical Realist 2 988 Aug 2, 2018 05:27 PM