Scivillage.com Casual Discussion Science Forum

Full Version: Are brain implants the future of treatment for depression and anxiety?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
https://leaps.org/are-brain-implants-the...particle-1

EXCERPTS: When she woke up after a procedure involving drilling small holes in her skull, a woman suffering from chronic depression reported feeling “euphoric”. The holes were made to fit the wires that connected her brain with a matchbox-sized electrical implant; this would deliver up to 300 short-lived electricity bursts per day to specific parts of her brain.

Over a year later, Sarah, 36, says the brain implant has turned her life around. A sense of alertness and energy have replaced suicidal thoughts and feelings of despair, which had persisted despite antidepressants and electroconvulsive therapy. Sarah is the first person to have received a brain implant to treat depression, a breakthrough that happened during an experimental study published recently in Nature Medicine.

[...] “It was a personalized treatment not only in where to stimulate, but when to stimulate,” Krystal says. Sarah’s depression translated to low amounts of energy, loss of pleasure and interest in life, and feelings of sluggishness. Those symptoms went away when scientists stimulated her ventral capsule area. When the same area was manipulated by electricity when Sarah’s symptoms “were not there” though, she was feeling more energetic, but this sudden flush of energy soon gave way to feelings of overstimulation and anxiety. “This is a very tangible illustration of why it's best to simulate only when you need it,” says Krystal.

We have the tendency to lump together depression symptoms, but, in reality, they are quite diverse; some people feel sad and lethargic, others stay up all night; some overeat, others don’t eat at all. “This happens because people have different underlying dysfunctions in different parts of their brain. Our approach is targeting the specific brain circuit that modulates different kinds of symptoms. Simply, where we stimulate depends on the specific set of problems a person has,” Krystal says. Such tailormade brain stimulation for patients with long-term, drug-resistant depression, which would be easy to use at home, could be transformative, the UCSF researcher concludes.

In the U.S., 12.7 percent of the population is on antidepressants. Almost exactly the same percentage of Australians–12.5–take similar drugs every day. With 13 percent of its population being on antidepressants, Iceland is the world’s highest antidepressant consumer. And quite away from Scandinavia, the Southern European country of Portugal is the world’s third strongest market for corresponding medication.

[...] the UCSF study brings to the mental health field a specificity it has long lacked. “A lot of the traditional medications only really work on six neurotransmitters, when there are over 100 neurotransmitters in the brain,” Anderson says. Drugs are changing the chemistry of a single system in the brain, but brain stimulation is essentially changing the very architecture of the brain, says James Giordano [...] It is a far more elegant approach to treating brain disorders, with the potential to prove a lifesaver for the 40 to 50 percent of patients who see no benefits at all with antidepressants, Giordano says. It is neurofeedback, on steroids, adds Anderson. But it comes with certain risks.

Even if the device generating the brain stimulation sits outside the skull and could be easily used at home, the whole process still involves neurosurgery. [...] Patients could wear a cap, helmet, or visor that transmits electrical signals from the brain to a computer system and back, in a brain-computer interface that would not need surgery. “This could counter the implantation of hardware into the brain and body, around which there is also a lot of public hesitance,” says Giordano, who is working on such techniques at DARPA.

Embedding a chip in your head is one of the finest examples of biohacking, an umbrella word for all the practices aimed at hacking one’s body and brain to enhance performance –a citizen do-it-yourself biology. It is also a word charged enough to set off a public backlash. Large segments of the population will simply refuse to allow that level of invasiveness in their heads, says Laura Cabrera.. (MORE - missing details)
Think I'll wait for the chip implant that allows me to surf the internet in my mind.
Depression is part of MR's identity.
“My thought is me: that's why I can't stop. I exist because I think… and I can't stop myself from thinking. At this very moment - it's frightful - if I exist, it is because I am horrified at existing. I am the one who pulls myself from the nothingness to which I aspire.”
― Jean-Paul Sartre, Nausea
Well, affective nihilism seems to go hand in hand with depression.

It's only fixed patterns of thought that keeps people from simply changing their mood. https://www.scivillage.com/thread-11341-...l#pid47605
A strong belief in free will allows one to take responsibility for, and thus change, their thinking habits.
(Dec 14, 2021 01:07 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Well, affective nihilism seems to go hand in hand with depression.

It's only fixed patterns of thought that keeps people from simply changing their mood. https://www.scivillage.com/thread-11341-...l#pid47605
A strong belief in free will allows one to take responsibility for, and thus change, their thinking habits.

Some of our life-hopes may well be futile, yet many of them will not be. We cannot determine which is which without trying. Determinism doesn't give us access to the outcomes. Freewill doesn't give us access to the outcome. Here's a real life trolley problem.

Aguilera-Mederos had claimed the brakes in his truck had failed and he lost control, but prosecutors argued in court that he could have taken steps to prevent the crash, including using a runaway truck ramp miles before the crash near the Denver West Colorado Mills Parkway, and said he made a 'bunch of bad decisions' instead.

His defense attorney argued that the tragedy was cause by someone that was overwhelmed by circumstances that were beyond his control. Guilt, regret, and fear can contribute to a crippling inability to make decisions.

He was sentenced to 110 years in prison.
(Dec 14, 2021 04:44 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(Dec 14, 2021 01:07 AM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Well, affective nihilism seems to go hand in hand with depression.

Some of our life-hopes may well be futile, yet many of them will not be. We cannot determine which is which without trying. Determinism doesn't give us access to the outcomes. Freewill doesn't give us access to the outcome. Here's a real life trolley problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyLMo7Ce-0

Aguilera-Mederos had claimed the brakes in his truck had failed and he lost control, but prosecutors argued in court that he could have taken steps to prevent the crash, including using a runaway truck ramp miles before the crash near the Denver West Colorado Mills Parkway, and said he made a 'bunch of bad decisions' instead.

His defense attorney argued that the tragedy was cause by someone that was overwhelmed by circumstances that were beyond his control. Guilt, regret, and fear can contribute to a crippling inability to make decisions.

He was sentenced to 110 years in prison.

Any vehicle, especially a semi truck, is a potential deadly weapon. If it's your job to drive one, you should be trained and understand how to take emergency measures, such as down shifting, emergency brakes, and utilizing truck run-offs. Failing to do so is negligence, either in you learning the training material or in your judgement over a significant amount of time, with several opportunities to avoid disaster.

If you cannot be responsible for handling circumstances that are well-known to occur driving a semi, you should be responsible enough to not drive one. If you get "overwhelmed" easily, you shouldn't be operating such a potentially deadly vehicle.

Getting "overwhelmed" is what happens when you don't "take responsibility for" things. Without a belief in free will, you can think you're just at the mercy of the vicissitudes of fate, and fail to see the options you have, within your control, to change the circumstance.

And no, that's not a real life trolley problem. If he'd acted sooner, by taking a semi run-off, he would have avoided the whole situation. And he never had a choice to not take action, as he was already responsible for the truck he was driving. You do realize that the trolley problem is about the dilemma of whether to act or not, right? If you're claiming that, due to his mental state, he couldn't act, that again is not a real life trolley problem.

This guy was basically driving the trolley, had a remote that would have switched him into a completely empty track, but he chose (lack of choice is still a choice) to wait until he had to choose between one semi on the shoulder and multiple cars. And he chose to put the most people in jeopardy.
(Dec 14, 2021 05:44 PM)Syne Wrote: [ -> ]Any vehicle, especially a semi truck, is a potential deadly weapon. If it's your job to drive one, you should be trained and understand how to take emergency measures, such as down shifting, emergency brakes, and utilizing truck run-offs. Failing to do so is negligence, either in you learning the training material or in your judgement over a significant amount of time, with several opportunities to avoid disaster.

If you cannot be responsible for handling circumstances that are well-known to occur driving a semi, you should be responsible enough to not drive one. If you get "overwhelmed" easily, you shouldn't be operating such a potentially deadly vehicle.

Getting "overwhelmed" is what happens when you don't "take responsibility for" things. Without a belief in free will, you can think you're just at the mercy of the vicissitudes of fate, and fail to see the options you have, within your control, to change the circumstance.

And no, that's not a real life trolley problem. If he'd acted sooner, by taking a semi run-off, he would have avoided the whole situation. And he never had a choice to not take action, as he was already responsible for the truck he was driving. You do realize that the trolley problem is about the dilemma of whether to act or not, right? If you're claiming that, due to his mental state, he couldn't act, that again is not a real life trolley problem.

This guy was basically driving the trolley, had a remote that would have switched him into a completely empty track, but he chose (lack of choice is still a choice) to wait until he had to choose between one semi on the shoulder and multiple cars. And he chose to put the most people in jeopardy.

He didn't know that there'd be multiple cars ahead that had stopped.

“When you lost your brakes your mind is blocking,” he said.

I’ve been in that situation before and I didn’t feel like I had any control over it. It felt like it wasn’t me. His mind locked up, and thankfully, mine didn't.

He said that he didn’t understand why God made the decision to keep him alive because I would have preferred that God had taken me because this is no life. The judge said his hands were tied by the Colorado violent crime statue, and that if he had the discretion, this would not be his sentence.
(Dec 14, 2021 05:54 PM)Secular Sanity Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't know that there'd be multiple cars ahead that had stopped.

“When you lost your brakes your mind is blocking,” he said.

I’ve been in that situation before and I didn’t feel like I had any control over it. It felt like it wasn’t me. His mind locked up, and thankfully, mine didn't.

He said that he didn’t understand why God made the decision to keep him alive because I would have preferred that God had taken me because this is no life. The judge said his hands were tied by the Colorado violent crime statue, and that if he had the discretion, this would not be his sentence.

So he just ignored all his training, and multiple outs, because he didn't think there'd be traffic ahead? That's just stupid. If he couldn't handle an emergency situation, he should have never been behind the wheel of a semi.

And how far did you continue to drive while you didn't feel like you had any control? Past two opportunities to pull off and opting to plow into many cars instead of one semi on the shoulder? How long can you excuse someone's "mind locked up?" I guess long enough for them to kill four innocent people, huh?

If he'd have taken responsibility for the truck immediately, he would have pulled into the run-off. Instead, he ended up killing people and the court is forced to hold him responsible since he didn't at the time.

Good to see you've given up the trolley nonsense though.
You could continue that argument all the way down to every car accident. My situation was fortunate because there were openings that I was able to maneuver through. If there wasn’t then by your account, I’d be guilty.

Why was traffic at a standstill? Was it due to a roadway engineering design flaw? Why did the trucking company allow someone without enough experience to take a mountainous route? Were the brakes checked and serviced by the trucking company? His English was limited. Could he even read the runaway ramp sign? If not, why did the DMV allow him to obtain a commercial driver’s license?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10