Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

73 shot, 13 fatally, over Fourth of July weekend in Chicago so far + Atlanta death

C C Offline
Atlanta Mayor Bottoms calls on violence to stop after 8-year-old’s death

EXCERPTS: . . . Secoriea’s father, Secoriya Williamson, said his daughter just wanted to get home to see her cousins. “They say Black lives matter,” he said. “You killed your own.” (MORE)

[...] There have been ongoing protests near the Wendy's restaurant in the aftermath of the death of Rayshard Brooks and George Floyd, who was killed by police in Minneapolis on Memorial Day.

"Enough is enough," Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said at a Sunday news conference. "You shot and killed a baby. And there wasn't just one shooter, there were at least two shooters," Bottoms said. "If you want to be part of a solution and not the problem, you need to clear out the area."

[...] Secoriea Turner, 8, was riding in a car with her mother and an adult friend on I-75/85 when they exited onto University Avenue, police spokesman Sergeant John Chafee told USA TODAY. As the driver tried to enter a parking lot at 1238 Pryor Road, a group of armed individuals blocked the entrance... (MORE)

CYNICAL SINDEE: Tail wagging the dog. Impotent mayors in these various cities who wave their hands around and plead for protests turned violent to cease or alternately excuse them (the errors of a good cause, the collateral damage of a good cause, etc.)

73 shot, 13 fatally, over Fourth of July weekend in Chicago so far
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/us/ch...tings.html

EXCERPTS: . . . At least 336 people have been murdered in Chicago through July 2 of this year, according to the Chicago Police Department, a homicide rate on track to hit the 2016 record of 778 deaths. [...] Distrust of the police is also a contributing factor as many residents of the hardest-hit neighborhoods feel reluctant to call on law enforcement, perhaps even more so since the death of Mr. Floyd and the nationwide protests against police brutality that followed it.

CYNICAL SINDEE: Makes perfect sense. Why risk a bad cop doing something to one or a few individuals and garnering the outpouring attention and concern of the whole world in response to the utter horror of that injustice? Better to have hundreds of people (including children) killed and wounded by young black men over the course of the year, wherein -- beyond the grieving families and local communities -- interests abroad seem to care less about those deaths because they're caused by members of the specific population group itself. (Which is to say: A death resulting from white or interracial constabulary involvement paradoxically gives upgraded importance to that lost life, thanks to the career boosts and monetary value that type of exploited tragedy has for the opportunistic news media, election candidates, seated government officials, and leaders of special organizations and movements.)

The city needs to do more to protect witnesses, said Rev. Ira Acree of the Greater St. John Bible Church. “People want to tell, but they are afraid,” Rev. Acree told a community meeting that he organized to discuss the shootings, adding that people approach him repeatedly about doing the right thing. They tell him, he said, “I want to go to heaven, but I do not want to go this week.”

CYNICAL SINDEE: Now that's a significantly less ludicrous reason for not contacting the police and avoid being a provider of details for them. Sure made sense in the The Wire, which was probably the most realistic tv-show ever made about drug afflicted neighborhoods, and the bureaucracy and corrupt, pretentious "we feel your pain" big-city politics which facilitates such gaping urban wounds.

Asked about how they are addressing the gun violence, he said that the police are confiscating guns — 4,629 so far this year, over 10,000 last year. He repeatedly appealed to the public for help, saying that residents knew something about the perpetrators in most cases.

CYNICAL SINDEE: Focusing on guns primarily as the cause, and eliminating the guns in such massive quantities, is clearly remedying the problem of the accelerating murders. A safe scapegoat prop and public propaganda response which seems to satisfy voters of large metropolitan areas, anyway. Which is really the only thing that matters career-wise for an ambitious political party member.

RELATED (back in June): 104 shot, 15 fatally, over Father’s Day weekend in Chicago
Syne Offline
Black lives don't matter when only the tiny fraction killed by whites matter. That seems to be anglocentric, at the cost of black lives. Especially when police, themselves, will opt to avoid certain neighborhoods or not risk going after the violent gang, for fear of not only losing their jobs or being doxed, but possibly going to prison for doing their jobs. Just goes to show that Democrat lip service is only that, empty talk, just race baiting to stay in power.

My advice....try Republican. At this point, what do you have to lose?
Zinjanthropos Offline
Scoreboard watching, an American tradition. Highlights on YouTube tonight. Brought to you by Prudential. Skip ad in 5,4,3.....seconds.
Syne Offline
When will we ever see a protest over a death of someone without a criminal record? Not that i ever expect one for black on black violence, but Breonna Taylor would be a much better martyr to lionize.
Leigha Offline
But, when black people kill other black people, they're usually arrested, convicted and incarcerated. I think the problem isn't that no one believes there isn't a problem in urban areas with black on black violence, it has more to do with the fact that white people aren't as swiftly arrested (if at all, look how many cops get off for killing unarmed blacks while in custody) nor incarcerated as the black population, when they murder black people. ''I thought he had a gun,'' etc tends to be their defense, when killing unarmed black people, and they rarely see jail time. I think that's where the outrage is coming from.
Syne Offline
(Jul 7, 2020 08:38 PM)Leigha Wrote: But, when black people kill other black people, they're usually arrested, convicted and incarcerated. I think the problem isn't that no one believes there isn't a problem in urban areas with black on black violence, it has more to do with the fact that white people aren't as swiftly arrested (if at all, look how many cops get off for killing unarmed blacks while in custody) nor incarcerated as the black population, when they murder black people. ''I thought he had a gun,'' etc tends to be their defense, when killing unarmed black people, and they rarely see jail time. I think that's where the outrage is coming from.

Cops killing unarmed black people is extremely rare, like 13 a year. Fewer than unarmed whites killed by cops, and much fewer than the black crime rate, and thus police interactions, would suggest. I see people making this claim that rogue cops don't face justice, but no significant number of cases to support that. Yes, when a cop says he thought he saw a gun in the hand of a known career criminal, people tend to believe he had a reasonable fear, even if mistaken. We know police are not perfect and that they have no obligation to get themselves killed in the line of duty. The alternative is fewer police in black neighborhoods, criminals terrorizing people with impunity, and more black on black violence and murder. Just look at NYC's 200% rise in shootings after reassigning their plain-clothes officers.

The outrage is fabricated race baiting to help Democrats secure the black vote.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A far cry from winter Ostronomos 4 159 Apr 9, 2022 06:54 AM
Last Post: C C