Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Somewhat lengthy interview with Alexander Wendt about UFOs

C C Offline
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/...nder-wendt

INTRO EXCERPT: . . . So in an attempt to force a UFO conversation into the public discourse, I contacted Alexander Wendt, a professor of international relations at Ohio State University. Wendt is a giant in his field of IR theory, but in the past 15 years or so, he’s become an amateur ufologist. He wrote an academic article about the political implications of UFOs in 2008, and, more recently, he gave a TEDx talk calling out the “taboo” against studying UFOs.

Wendt is about the closest thing you’ll find to a UFO expert in a world in which ufology isn’t a real science. Like other enthusiasts, he’s spent a lot of time looking at the evidence, thinking about the stakes, and theorizing about why extraterrestrials would visit Earth in the first place.

In this conversation, which has been lightly edited for clarity, we discuss why scientists refuse to take UFOs seriously, why he thinks there’s a good chance ETs are behind the aircraft in those videos, and why he believes the discovery of extraterrestrial life would be the most significant event in human history... (MORE - the interview)

--- one brief excerpt from interview ---

[...] Sean Illing: If there’s a non-zero chance that aliens are real and they know we’re here, it’s crazy that governments aren’t more concerned about the dangers. We’ve all seen the same movies. How do you explain the apparent indifference here?

Alexander Wendt: For governments, there’s no real upside to talking about this. They can’t control this. If there are ETs, they don’t have the power to do anything about it. They’re helpless in the face of ETs. And there’s a big downside risk of social chaos, loss of authority, loss of control and all that. So I think governments have lots of reasons to let a sleeping dog lie, which is why the Navy’s thing is so surprising in a way.

Sean Illing: Maybe several governments already know of ETs and aren’t revealing that knowledge for all the reasons you suggest.

Alexander Wendt: I’m a strong disbeliever in any kind of conspiracy argument. I don’t think there has ever been a conspiracy to cover up the truth that we know that aliens are here. At most, we’ve covered up the fact that we have no idea what’s going on.
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Alexander Wendt: I’m a strong disbeliever in any kind of conspiracy argument. I don’t think there has ever been a conspiracy to cover up the truth that we know that aliens are here. At most, we’ve covered up the fact that we have no idea what’s going on.

Yeah..it just makes the govt look bad when the ufo phenomenon remains so frustratingly unknown. I mean here we look to them for authoratative guidance and knowledge, and all they really have is an amazing yet elusive phenomena that remains cloaked in mystery. UFO's remain an embarrassment to the govt military because they expose them as incompetent in knowing what is really goin on in our airspace. So the govt and it's agencies remain reluctant to comment on ufos, not because they know what's goin on, but because they have no clue.