Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Humans aren’t designed to be happy – so stop trying

C C Offline
https://theconversation.com/humans-arent...ing-119262

EXCERPT (Rafael Euba): A huge happiness and positive thinking industry [...] has helped to create the fantasy that happiness is a realistic goal. Chasing the happiness dream is a very American concept, exported to the rest of the world through popular culture. ... Unfortunately, this has helped to create an expectation that real life stubbornly refuses to deliver.

Because even when all our material and biological needs are satisfied, a state of sustained happiness will still remain a theoretical and elusive goal, as Abd-al-Rahman III, Caliph of Córdoba in the tenth century, discovered. [...] Happiness is a human construct, an abstract idea with no equivalent in actual human experience. Positive and negative affects do reside in the brain, but sustained happiness has no biological basis.

[...] Humans are not designed to be happy, or even content. Instead, we are designed primarily to survive and reproduce ... A state of contentment is discouraged by nature because it would lower our guard against possible threats to our survival. ... Different geographical locations and circuits in the brain are each associated with certain neurological and intellectual functions, but happiness, being a mere construct with no neurological basis, cannot be found in the brain tissue.

In fact, experts in this field argue that nature’s failure to weed out depression in the evolutionary process [...] is due precisely to the fact that depression as an adaptation plays a useful role in times of adversity, by helping the depressed individual disengage from risky and hopeless situations in which he or she cannot win. Depressive ruminations can also have a problem solving function during difficult times.

The current global happiness industry has some of its roots in Christian morality codes, many of which will tell us that there is a moral reason for any unhappiness we may experience. [...] Our emotions are mixed and impure, messy, tangled and at times contradictory, like everything else in our lives. Research has shown that positive and negative emotions and affects can coexist in the brain relatively independently of each other. ... It’s worth remembering, then, that we are not designed to be consistently happy. (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
I suppose happy and content aren't exactly the words I'm looking for. I want to be engaged and interested in the world around me. I want to keep exposing myself to new experiences and new people and new ideas. This priority on moving outward that I place over being in a state of happiness keeps me from becoming too complacent. I always have an itch for what's coming over the horizon. An eagerness for the new and unfamiliar. A restlessness that haunts me from beyond my bubble of the same ole same ole.
Leigha Offline
I think striving for happiness at all costs, will leave us empty in the end. Happiness and sustainable peace doesn't come from striving, I've found. Whenever I've stopped striving...doing that daily grind...happiness fell upon me, like a blanket. But, we forget, and the striving begins yet again. lol

I have a friend who always has to be busy busy busy. Always posting on FB about her latest adventures, and she is going through a difficult time right now. I've encouraged her to find some time to just be alone...because it seems like she's purposely keeping herself crazy busy to avoid the problems in her life. She agreed, and started meditating, and said that she finally feels ''happy.'' And I think what she meant was ...peace.

Is it ironic that this thread topic makes me...happy? Wink
Seattle Offline
Quote:I think striving for happiness at all costs, will leave us empty in the end. Happiness and sustainable peace doesn't come from striving, I've found. Whenever I've stopped striving...doing that daily grind...happiness fell upon me, like a blanket. But, we forget, and the striving begins yet again. lol

I have a friend who always has to be busy busy busy. Always posting on FB about her latest adventures, and she is going through a difficult time right now. I've encouraged her to find some time to just be alone...because it seems like she's purposely keeping herself crazy busy to avoid the problems in her life. She agreed, and started meditating, and said that she finally feels ''happy.'' And I think what she meant was ...peace.

Is it ironic that this thread topic makes me...happy? Wink

I saw a documentary once that was about a study of what really makes us happy. Of course the main point is that you don't need to focus on being happy all the time for all the reasons already mentioned.

The idea was that many people think if they only had that one thing (money, marriage, great job, kids) then they would be happy. Some of those things may be important or desirable in some way but it turns out that none of them really register high on the happiness scale. Kids don't make you happy. You spend a lot of your life worrying about them. Money isn't the answer, and so on.

People are what makes us happy. Having friends, a social network, etc. The good  news is that happiness is always within our reach.

I also know the busy,busy, busy types. Yes, everyone like that will greatly benefit from some alone time to self-reflect.
Syne Offline
Humans are designed to face death several times a day.
Seattle Offline
(Jul 25, 2019 12:39 AM)Syne Wrote: Humans are designed to face death several times a day.

That explains the lack of humor at least.
Syne Offline
(Jul 25, 2019 01:23 AM)Seattle Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2019 12:39 AM)Syne Wrote: Humans are designed to face death several times a day.

Translation: Lame comedian asking "is this thing on?"
Seattle Offline
(Jul 25, 2019 01:51 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2019 01:23 AM)Seattle Wrote:

Translation: Lame comedian asking "is this thing on?"

I'm not implying that you are a lame comedian. I'm implying that you have no sense of humor.
Syne Offline
(Jul 25, 2019 05:06 AM)Seattle Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2019 01:51 AM)Syne Wrote: Translation: Lame comedian asking "is this thing on?"

I'm not implying that you are a lame comedian. I'm implying that you have no sense of humor.
And I'm not implying anything. I'm directly comparing you to a bad comedian pointing out that he's not getting the laughs.
Seattle Offline
(Jul 26, 2019 12:53 AM)Syne Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2019 05:06 AM)Seattle Wrote:
(Jul 25, 2019 01:51 AM)Syne Wrote: Translation: Lame comedian asking "is this thing on?"

And I'm not implying anything. I'm directly comparing you to a bad comedian pointing out that he's not getting the laughs.
If you were articulate, you would be pointing out that I'm not getting the laughs.
However I'm not a comedian so your point is moot. It's just a desperate cry for help on your part, right?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Even healthy people can be tricked into hearing voices that aren't there C C 20 483 Nov 5, 2023 04:38 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Link between mental health & ADHD is strong – so why aren’t we paying attention? C C 0 73 Jan 17, 2023 09:26 PM
Last Post: C C
  The benefits & downsides of being extraverted + Expect to be happy in your 50s & 60s C C 5 152 Aug 18, 2022 11:43 PM
  Paper contends high aims of evolutionary psychology (probably) aren't possible C C 1 184 Jan 17, 2020 12:02 AM
  4th non-human primate enters its own stone age + Quit trying to find your passion? C C 1 507 Jul 4, 2018 08:37 PM
  This photo deeply disgusts some people, & scientists are trying to understand why C C 5 533 Jul 14, 2017 05:32 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Empathy burn-out for animal rescuers + Luck rituals aren't arbitrary C C 3 535 Jan 25, 2017 02:08 PM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn