Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Delivery apps under fire over tips

RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Feb 7, 2019 04:04 AM)Leigha Wrote: There are greedy bastards everywhere, it seems.  Dodgy

I think this is wrong, and tips should be in addition to their regular wages. Like any other delivery service, or how you'd tip a server at a restaurant.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/techn...eries.html

usa culture demands a tip
consequently employers pay employees less

i am against compulsory tipping culture.
it undermines and devalues the employee

with culture dictating the customer must make a tip.
the customer is expected to make 2 separate credit card transactions for 1 purchase.

what happens when the customer says to the delivery person "sorry i dont have any cash"
the customer is then labelled as a bad customer for not tipping.

strange idea  around making the customer the bad person and subjecting them to guilt and then poor service.

thats a great deal of un paid for moral judgement delivered for free by the person who is being underpaid by the company.

= brainwashing !
brainwashing of religion i might suggest because it asserts moral judgement and guilt upon the person for not giving to charity
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Feb 7, 2019 05:04 AM)Leigha Wrote: Do you tip?

should i tip ?
does society say i should pay more than the agreed value of the product to avoid being guilt-tripped and morally judged ?

what am i purchasing with my tip ?
moral and religious judgement ?

and... i am morally and economically supporting the employer paying a wage that is below acceptable.
financial support of economic terrorism.

i am opposed to compulsory tipping culture

guilt culture being projected as a morality for economic interaction with working class...

and if i am poor i need to declare it to the person who is the service worker of the company i am buying something off ?
must i declare my financial position in fear of being guilt tripped and subjected to bad treatment ?

classicist moral judgment guilt tripping and bullying

and all i want to do is buy my dinner ...
Syne Offline
Tipping incentivizes good service and it's voluntary. A stingy customer may be thought ill of, but poor service will kill a business.
Zinjanthropos Offline
I feel more pressure to tip employees of local businesses. When out of town, i feel safe not tipping since the odds of me returning to or reusing the service is likely remote, plus the fact there's little chance I'll be remembered if I did happen to use the service again. Still, if service is bad I won't tip and in most cases I won't return anyways. Don't like the feeling that a disgruntled cook/waiter is spitting on my dinner.
C C Offline
(Feb 7, 2019 04:44 AM)RainbowUnicorn Wrote: usa culture demands a tip consequently employers pay employees less i am against compulsory tipping culture. it undermines and devalues the employee

This potentially raises the question of whether or not social cues cognition would be universal in even the US, with regard to apprehending all aspects of the service.

Presumedly an Instacart "shopper" simply arriving in a personally owned or non-commercial vehicle would indicate that they're supposed to be tipped (like a free-lance or contracted pizza guy). Otherwise, when this manner of elite civilization finally reaches the thatched huts of the as yet non-served communities (whose residents currently must still physically visit supermarkets to purchase groceries), those customers might reflexively assume it's akin to a UPS/Fedex situation of well-paid union drivers.

###
Syne Offline
"free-lance or contracted pizza guy"? Is that a thing? It sure wasn't when I delivered pizza, as one of my first jobs, nor even when I knew a guy a handful of years ago who moonlighted doing so.
Does it happen outside the US?
Leigha Offline
Think we're getting off the beaten path. The article really isn't about whether or not tipping is necessary, but rather that there was an ethical understanding between the employees delivering the food, and management, that the tips would be above and beyond the hourly wage. It appears like the company was cheating the workers out of their tips, by applying the tips as part of their wages, to equal the agreed upon wage. That is unethical. Doesn't matter if you like to tip or not, lying to new hires as to how they will be compensated is wrong.
C C Offline
(Feb 7, 2019 09:43 PM)Syne Wrote: "free-lance or contracted pizza guy"? Is that a thing? It sure wasn't when I delivered pizza, as one of my first jobs, nor even when I knew a guy a handful of years ago who moonlighted doing so.
Does it happen outside the US?

Apparently more to it than just local wry humor spun off from so many of them driving around in their own cars or vehicles. Some really do offer their services to multiple establishments.

Are Pizza Delivery Drivers Independent Contractors?
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/e/Are-Pizza...ontractors

Some pizza delivery drivers work directly, either full or part-time, for the pizza restaurant. Others are independent contractors, who may deliver for several different restaurants. Independent contractors must declare their full income to the IRS when paying taxes. They can deduct their expenses, such as gasoline, and car maintenance. Independent contractor pizza delivery drivers who can safely get the food to the clients on time and who provide excellent customer service consistently may be asked to become direct employees of the pizza restaurant.

- - - -

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/pizza...53955.html

Q: Son delivers for Pizza Hut and gets minimum wage, plus $1.05 per delivery. He was in an accident and we are just realizing that only our insurance covers any accidents involved during work. Under PA law isn't he considered an employee and not an independent contractor?

3rd A: There are many different factors that the law will look to determine if your son was an employee or an independent contractor. One of the main characteristics of an employer/employee relationship is that the employer is able to control the result of the work and also has the right to direct the way in which the work is done.

###

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article "We don't want them in Egypt" + Nobody knows + Israel haters playing with fire C C 12 315 Oct 22, 2023 06:10 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Bureaucracy eyeing expansion to regulating dog training, under the veil of science C C 0 59 Sep 13, 2022 03:20 PM
Last Post: C C
  US programme targeting researchers with China links crumbling under intense scrutiny C C 0 55 Oct 14, 2021 05:44 PM
  A new California law will help inmate firefighters join fire departments upon release C C 0 195 Sep 13, 2020 02:12 AM