Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DOP (disappearing object phenomenon)

Magical Realist Offline
https://www.strangerdimensions.com/2018/...ring-keys/

It’s the strangest thing when you mysteriously lose an item, only for it to reappear in a location you swear you’ve already checked five times.

Maybe you blame forgetfulness. Maybe you think you just missed it, and perhaps owe your eye doctor a visit. However, there’s also a more extraordinary explanation, if you are so inclined.

In paranormal circles, it’s known as disappearing object phenomenon (DOP). This is a broad term, and encapsulates a number of otherworldly causes for objects going missing — paranormal entities borrowing your stuff, items blinking out of existence, and even tears in the fabric of space and time.

Or a computer glitch.

That’s right: You may, right now, be nothing more than a collection of bits existing in some kind of cosmic computer software. When something inexplicably vanishes only to rematerialize in its usual spot a few minutes, a few hours, or even a few days later, you might have just experienced a temporary hiccup in the universal simulation we call our reality.

Not convinced? I hopped over to the most reliable destination for anecdotes on the Internet, Reddit, and ventured once again into Glitch in the Matrix, a place where everybody seems to have misplaced their keys. Here’s what I learned…

Popping Back to Being

Our first case of disappearing keys was reported only about a month ago.

The witness had lost the keys to his P.O. box a few weeks earlier. They’d seemingly vanished without a trace, though admittedly this wasn’t the first time. He had a history of losing things.

He and his wife searched the likeliest places — the car, their clothes pockets. The keys simply didn’t turn up.

A week later, though, something happened that the witness couldn’t help but find extremely “creepy.”

He and his wife were heading to the P.O. box again to get their mail when they decided to stop by a local Starbucks. As they pulled into the parking lot, they heard the sound of jingling keys, as if they had been “dropped from [an] unknown place.”

“At the same time we both look down at the cup holder and there are my missing keys just sitting there seemingly out of nowhere! It caught us both off guard and just kinda put us in a pause moment.”

The keys had returned, as if they had blinked back into existence and fallen into the car, just as the couple were planning to visit their P.O. box. The situation was doubly confusing, as they had already searched the car — how could they have missed the cup holder of all places?

The witness, of course, was happy to have found the keys, but found the experience an unsettling one.

A Glitchy Key Thief?

Sometimes, a case of DOP is accompanied by another type of mysterious phenomenon.

While at work in his shop one day, another witness suddenly realized his keys were missing. He’d just spoken with a client at the front desk, and figured perhaps she had accidentally taken them when she grabbed her sunglasses on the way out. But that possible explanation wasn’t exactly helpful.

“I had no way to contact her because it was her first time in the shop,” he wrote, “I didn’t get her number.”

This was a problem. He went for the next best thing — the security camera, to at least confirm whether or not she had taken the keys at all. What he found was unexpected, to say the least.

“I went to check the security video tape it was missing the 30 seconds or so she was getting in to her car so I couldn’t see if she had my keys or not.”

He found this very odd. Why was that specific moment missing on the security tape?

Where were the keys?

Things got even stranger the next day, when the keys turned up in the shop’s mail box. Curious still, the witness returned to the security tape to check who, if anyone, had placed them there. However, this time, while the footage wasn’t missing, there was “no sign of a car pulling up in the parking lot.”

What exactly happened, here? The keys seemingly vanished, only to reappear the next day in the mail box. This, at least, could be somewhat explained — perhaps someone found the keys and returned them on foot, or before leaving.

But what do we make of the woman and the missing 30 seconds of tape?

Returning from the Void

One of the more intriguing explanations for DOP is that it’s the result of psychokinetic ability, the witness him or herself inadvertently causing the object to move or disappear.

Psychokinesis is the alleged ability to move objects with one’s mind.

Can DOP be caused by the mind of the observer? Can just thinking about a missing object cause it to manifest?

In another case, a witness may have done just that. A year before, he had purchased a new keychain, and added all of his keys to it. The keychain itself was shaped like Bulbasaur, a popular character from the Pokemon franchise. Unfortunately, sooner or later the Bulbasaur keychain popped off, and he didn’t see it again.

Until a year later.

The witness and his girlfriend were shopping at Walmart when they stumbled upon the very same type of keychain he had lost the year earlier. “Hey, remember when I had that for like a week and lost it?” he joked, and they moved on without giving it much thought.

But when they returned home, something odd happened.

“When we get home, we’re walking through our front lawn and my girlfriend stops because she noticed something on the ground. She picks it up and shows me that it’s the bulbasaur keychain we had just spoke about.”

Given its location, an area where they’d constantly walked, mowed grass, and done yard work, the witness felt he, or someone, should have easily noticed the keychain long before that. “It’s even more strange,” he wrote, “that it would appear the day it was talked about.” He hadn’t spoken of it since the day it vanished, and yet here it was, again, right after he’d thought about it.

Could he have conjured the object back into existence with the power of his mind?

A Key Reappears…In The Ignition!

Finally, we have this, perhaps the strangest entry here.

The witness, in this case, was working at an Enterprise car rental, though he managed trucks. His job, as he put it, was to “inspect, clean, park, and sometimes deliver the trucks.” And on any given day, that’s exactly what he did, without issue.

That is, until one strange Sunday afternoon.

It began normally. The witness opened up “the bay” and gathered all the keys, arranging them according to truck size. He then placed them on their “assigned rings.”

Choosing to begin with the largest of the trucks, he grabbed the keys for the 26-footers. Then, out of habit, he went to each truck, checked to make sure they were dirty, and put the keys into their respective ignitions. This way, when it was time to clean each truck, he could just hop in and move it without searching for its key again.

As he finished, his manager approached and asked that he get to work first on a specific truck, one of the larger variety. The customer, he said, would be there soon, and this was actually a double cab.

However, they soon realized there was a slight problem: The witness remembered already inspecting that very truck, but he didn’t have the key for it. This, he assumed, meant the truck had already been cleaned. The manager just shrugged it off, and went to look for the key, leaving the witness to get started with the cleaning.

Later, when the manager returned, keyless, he asked the witness again to “double check” his keys. The witness did so — double checked, triple checked — and still, they were gone.

At this point, he decided to do the obvious thing, and went to inspect the truck itself:

“I went to the driver side and my friend went to the passenger side, but both doors were locked. I peeped through the window and noticed the truck was definitely dirty so I should have had the key.”

But he didn’t. He even went to check the maintenance keys; perhaps this truck had broken down, and needed special work. No dice.

The witness then offered to simply clean a different double cab for the customer. This, he figured, was the easiest solution. So he went to another truck, cleaned it up, pulled it up for rental, climbed out, and the job was done.

However, it was as he climbing out that he noticed the other truck, the one with the missing key. It was running.

Funny, he thought. Figuring that his manager had found the missing key, he went inside and let him know that the other truck was clean, and out of curiosity asked, “Where’d you find the key?”

“I didn’t find the keys,” the manager said, “I haven’t looked after we decided to just rent the other one.”

Needless to say, the witness was very confused. He quickly went back outside to investigate. There, he found that the truck was, indeed, running. He went over to the driver’s side door to pull it open. It was locked. ”I instantly got this weird feeling and climbed up to look through the window again,” he wrote.

“This time when I looked through the window the key was in the ignition and the truck was clean! I said “no way” and went to check the tag to make sure it was really the same truck. The tag matched, this was the truck.”

The passenger door was locked, as well. And yet, there were the missing keys, in the truck’s ignition, and the truck was running.

Much of this could have been easily explained. — perhaps someone else had found the keys and cleaned the truck. But only three people were present that day — the manager, the witness, and his friend — and they were accounted for. No one claimed to know what was going on. Was it joke?

To put a final twist on this story, the three of them eventually turned to the security cameras to see just who had meddled with the truck, if anyone. What did they find?

“…the cameras didn’t show anyone getting into the truck or starting it. The key just mysteriously popped up in the truck and the truck was magically cleaned and running.”

What do we make of the above stories? Objects vanishing only to reappear, sometimes under extraordinary circumstances. Security cameras failing to capture the events. Where do the objects go when they disappear, anyway?

Perhaps there’s a reasonable explanation for the above, something we’re missing. But for now, we just have the stories. What do you believe?"

Here's a fascinating case of object disappearance and reappearance in an entirely impossible location:

"One morning in August of 1980, at the age of 24, Dan was making a large batch of blueberry muffins in his kitchen. He had just finished mixing the wet ingredients with a cup of honey. Honey being honey, he got some on the lip of the jar and so washed the jar off in the sink and sat it down to drip dry. He then turned to the business of the dry ingredients. Walking over to the pantry, he reached for one of those old-fashioned metal flour tins. As he pulled the tin off the shelf, it suddenly got heavier. His unprepared hands could not hold on to the new weight, and the tin dropped to the floor. Here is what happened next, in Dan's own words, which he was kind enough to share with me at my request:

"Upon meeting the carpeted ground, the tin lost its lid and much of its powdery contents. Rather upset at myself, I kneeled to clean up the mess. Then came the electric discovery whose current still flows thru me. Enough of the flour had run out to reveal that something was buried at the bottom of the tin. Naturally curious, I dug thru the flour with my fingers and then pulled out, of all things, a glass honey jar exactly like the one I had held in my hands and washed a moment ago, a jar completely caked with flour---as if it had been placed in the tin still wet. Puzzled, I turned my head to assure myself that the bottle I had just rinsed was standing where I left it. It was not."

Dan stared for two minutes, examining the situation and its impossibility. "The fact was obvious. The wet honey jar had been moved from the sink and deposited on the bottom of the flour tin. The explanation, however, was not at all obvious...

..Not that Dan had an explanation. He did not, and he still does not. When Dan told this same story to a group of us at a private academic gathering, he added his own immediate conclusion at the time of the original event. "I knew at that instant," he explained to us, "that materialism is false."

From "The Super Natural: A New Vision Of The Unexplained" by Whitley Strieber and Jeffery Kripal, pgs. 199-201. Published 2016, Penguin Random House.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/11/t...g-objects/
C C Offline
(Aug 2, 2018 02:13 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: https://www.strangerdimensions.com/2018/...ring-keys/

It’s the strangest thing when you mysteriously lose an item, only for it to reappear in a location you swear you’ve already checked five times.

Maybe you blame forgetfulness. Maybe you think you just missed it, and perhaps owe your eye doctor a visit.

Like many, I often find a long-term lost or vanished object when I finally give up deliberately looking for it. Kind of goes hand-in-hand with that other infrequent tendency of a moving object falling, bouncing, or sailing directly into a location where it's either most difficult or impossible to recover -- the very last spot one would ever want it to land. Evoking that muttered platitude of "Now if I was intentionally wanting that result or trying to make it deflect around in as complicated a pattern as that in order to get there, I'd never have achieved it in a million tries."

Quote:However, there’s also a more extraordinary explanation, if you are so inclined.

In paranormal circles, it’s known as disappearing object phenomenon (DOP). This is a broad term, and encapsulates a number of otherworldly causes for objects going missing — paranormal entities borrowing your stuff, items blinking out of existence, and even tears in the fabric of space and time.

Or a computer glitch.

That’s right: You may, right now, be nothing more than a collection of bits existing in some kind of cosmic computer software. When something inexplicably vanishes only to rematerialize in its usual spot a few minutes, a few hours, or even a few days later, you might have just experienced a temporary hiccup in the universal simulation we call our reality.

Unknowingly or subliminally, commonsense seems to want the world to be a simulation: Where the cosmos is only a universal, ephemeral moment being constantly annihilated by endless replacement moments or snapshots. The changes outputted by some mathematical or abstract process either immaterial or whose "intellectual / computational machinery" would be metaphysically hidden from observation (but not necessarily from inference).[*]

Parmenides reacted to that fleeting manner of be-ing by positing genuine existence -- an archetypal provenance for such restless, sentient appearances which was itself changeless and unified in contrast -- substance rather than ephemerality and its warring differences. Of course, the rival simulation or perpetual change view actually must have some eternal, unchanging elements, too -- but they would be the principles or "forms" / formulas slash "software" regulating the process of change. Rather than what they outputted -- the developing stages of the sensible differences, entities (etc) -- being also resistant to extinction (timelessly embedded or enfolded in an archetypal level of harmonious and static existence underlying appearances).

- - - footnote - - -

[*] That is, if such tradition demands a process to have a cause. People usually treat generic "causation" as if it is the king of concepts -- it never stops asserting itself, thus perversely more fundamental than the idea of existence. As exemplified when they ask questions like "Why is there something rather than nothing?" or "Where did God, or the universe, or the Big Bang come from?". So it seems safe to assume they would want a "causal substrate" enabling and lawfully regulating the process of change, rather than it floating magically or primordially on its own.

~
Magical Realist Offline
There's a spot on the floorboard of my passenger seat that typically accumulates straw covers, receipts and gum wrappers and is strategically just beyond my reach while driving. I have to think it is intentional and meant to strain the spine of any unsuspecting Toyota 4 Runner owner. Or perhaps to facilitate their speedy egress into the afterlife. Just now I went to my passenger side door and finally picked up all this trash and threw it away. My preternatural slate is clean now, ready for whatever trickster orchestrated pranks are karmically destined to come my way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Declassified UK Documents Show UFO Disappearing in Mid-air Kornee 0 149 Dec 8, 2022 04:08 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  What If Aliens Are Here? The UFO UAP Phenomenon Kornee 9 358 Nov 11, 2022 09:26 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Strange object captured in sky Magical Realist 0 63 Aug 19, 2022 02:02 AM
  UFO Hearing: Pentagon shows declassified photos & video, clip of floating object C C 10 325 Jun 10, 2022 07:53 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Secret government info confirms first known interstellar object on Earth, scientists C C 0 63 Apr 8, 2022 06:11 PM
Last Post: C C
  The odd phenomenon of Ghost Apples C C 1 427 Feb 11, 2019 12:49 AM
  Tic Tac update: “Rendezvous” With Massive Unidentified Underwater Object C C 1 292 May 30, 2018 05:29 AM
  Russian mogul to check interstellar object for signs of technology C C 1 291 Dec 12, 2017 04:02 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Rectangular object over Wisconsin highway Magical Realist 1 439 Feb 26, 2016 09:20 PM
  David Paulides: A new mysterious phenomenon Magical Realist 1 855 Nov 13, 2015 08:16 PM