Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atheist Qualification

Zinjanthropos Offline
Undecided As an atheist, am I allowed to believe that there once was a god? God or whomever once existed but now there's no reason to hold any belief in a living God. IOW is an atheist still an atheist if he/she believes God is dead? Don't know why this thought occurred to me but boing, there it was.  Maybe I'm looking for something to support my exploding God hypothesis Rolleyes
C C Offline
"Atheist" in the simple word-unit sense (a + theist) has no prescribed doctrine or agenda. But thereby such a bare stance is also free to complicate itself by adopting a set of ideas and characteristics to conform to.

"God once existed but is now deceased" would certainly not be commensurable with Alex Rosenberg's appending of a formalized version of scientism to what it means to be an atheist. Unless the aforementioned god was of natural origins, and evidence suggested it had intervened in Earthly affairs in the past (i.e., otherwise there would seem little point to indulging the view). Richard Dawkins once expressed in an interview something to the effect / impression that he didn't reject the possibility of limited super-intelligence being technologically engineered into existence elsewhere in the cosmos, either in the past or in the future.

- - -
Zinjanthropos Offline
Sorry CC, I meant to type living God instead of loving in OP. I have always been led to think that atheists hold no god beliefs and assumed this would mean a living God. I think I can understand why lack of belief in a dead God would Not change things in that regard. Dead or alive, a god is a god. .
elte Offline
I can relate, Z.  When people think that the universe was created by God, and its existence is proof of there being a God,  I get the thought that doesn't mean God still exists.  The universe appears to be just operating on autopilot.  Thinking the latter sense qualifies as atheistic, though maybe some say it is deistic.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 18, 2017 03:12 AM)elte Wrote: I can relate, Z.  When people think that the universe was created by God, and its existence is proof of there being a God,  I get the thought that doesn't mean God still exists.  The universe appears to be just operating on autopilot.  Thinking the latter sense qualifies as atheistic, though maybe some say it is deistic.

I'd be lying if I said I never got the feeling that there's something truly mysterious going on.
elte Offline
I haven't felt that except maybe when I was young.  Since then I have had nothing but doubt since when it entered my mind that things that I thought were providence was my strong desire to see it.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 18, 2017 04:13 AM)elte Wrote: I haven't felt that except maybe when I was young.  Since then I have had nothing but doubt since when it entered my mind that things that I thought were providence was my strong desire to see it.

I feel it but dismiss any thoughts of a god being behind everything. I said mysterious, not something based on nothing but belief Big Grin . Whatever it is I feel at times has more to do with looking at the highly improbable yet could happen nonetheless. I hate using the word 'belief'. If I do say it then it's a mistake, I prefer the words 'I think' over 'I believe'.
elte Offline
Thanks for esplanin. Saying "I think" rather than "I believe" seems like a good idea.  I see now by "mysterious" that it wasn't implying belief in the supernatural but more like acknowledgement of the unknown.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Aug 18, 2017 01:48 PM)elte Wrote: Thanks for esplanin. Saying "I think" rather than "I believe" seems like a good idea.  

I think you said it better than I did.
elte Offline
Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neil deGrasse Tyson: "I'm not an atheist!" + Medieval friars riddled with parasites C C 4 171 Aug 24, 2022 01:39 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  Head Chaplain at Harvard University is an Atheist Yazata 20 534 Aug 30, 2021 08:08 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  Atheist brains different from religious brains? + Jefferson's version of Jesus & NT C C 3 232 Mar 5, 2021 07:19 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Thank God I'm an Atheist Zinjanthropos 2 206 May 26, 2020 03:47 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Atheist YouTuber's controversial Somali "women in bags’ comment reignited C C 3 195 May 25, 2020 02:24 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Why atheists are not as rational as some think + Templeton funds more atheist-bashing C C 35 5,591 Sep 30, 2018 05:07 AM
  Atheist funerals Magical Realist 1 379 Jul 29, 2018 07:52 PM
  Updated- YouTube punished atheist for exposing preacher who wants gay people executed C C 1 432 Jul 4, 2018 08:30 PM
  Absolute values + Tell My Ex That Our Son Is An Atheist? + Christian graffiti C C 1 476 Jan 21, 2018 08:44 AM
  My 3 Year Old Is Praying, What Do I Do? + How to stop the atheist infighting C C 30 3,366 Sep 23, 2017 06:10 PM