Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alamo style women-only 'Wonder Woman' screenings to go national?

C C Offline
https://www.forbes.com/sites/susannahbre...2a824b66c4

EXCERPT: [...] In fact, the women-only screening of the Patty Jenkins-directed superhero movie starring everyone’s favorite amazon was so popular that the Alamo added a second screening. It’s sold out, too. Exclusionary? Maybe. Brilliant? You bet.

The key to selling a movie is turning it into more than just a cinematic work. And with the Alamo’s clever tactic, a $120 million DC Films production was transformed from one more summer superhero movie into a hotly-debated political movement. A women-only screening thrusts Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman off the screen and into the streets [...]

Why go to the movies when you can support your sisters? Why pay to see a superhero movie when you can be a feminist? Why buy a ticket when you can smash the patriarchy? Should theaters across the country hold women-only “Wonder Woman” screenings, the feminist fever will spread across the web virally, boosting tickets sales as it captures headlines....
Syne Offline
Okay... Where's the guys-only screening of Thor:Ragnarok or Spiderman:Homecoming going to be? Nowhere? So...this is just sexist pandering?

Got it.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Honestly, why give a shit? It's harmless beyond belief but really good PR. Can't decide who are the 'useful idiots' in entertainment's latest yawn inducing movie promotion. Perhaps a theatre full of drag queens might have done a better job at getting the flick some attention.
Syne Offline
Oh, I don't really care....beyond just another in a seemingly endless parade of hypocrisy. It happens so regularly that it really isn't notable.

The real point is that guys wouldn't be especially enticed by a guy-only screening. Like feminists going to "support" the last Ghostbusters, it seems women are more prone to allow themselves to be used for such promotion.

It would be interesting to test the inverse though.
Syne Offline
How would you feel about a whites-only screening?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(May 27, 2017 10:54 PM)Syne Wrote: How would you feel about a whites-only screening?

Good grief! It's only a movie, not a KKK membership drive.

I would hope Wonder Woman appeals to women. I only have one Wonder Woman in mind and I was lucky enough to marry her. (my mom is Supergirl)
Secular Sanity Offline
(May 27, 2017 01:24 AM)Syne Wrote: Okay... Where's the guys-only screening of Thor:Ragnarok or Spiderman:Homecoming going to be? Nowhere? So...this is just sexist pandering?

Got it.

(Feb 21, 2017 03:08 AM)Syne Wrote: Yes, I believe that people should have the freedom to deny non-critical, private service for any reason, religious, whim, or whatever. And if a competitor doesn't deny service, that competitor does better. 

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Got it.
Syne Offline
That's how you can tell if something's really wrong or your rationale is at least logically consistent. Make it about race. If you have a problem with the idea of a whites-only screening, you're a hypocrite for not caring about a women-only screening. I wouldn't care if there were a blacks-only, or any other minority/special interest/ethnic group, screening. That is a consistent view. If you're gut reaction to a whites-only screening is "KKK membership drive" then maybe you should examine your complete lack of scrutiny for similar discrimination based solely on superficial physical features.

Wow, SS, you really hold onto things. What do you do, bookmark posts of mine you want to bring up latter but don't have a witty comeback for at the time? LOL!
I had actually written much to that same effect before I decided to just play devil's advocate. I stand by the freedom of private business to do as it will. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy and moral/logical inconsistency of such nonsense.
Secular Sanity Offline
(May 28, 2017 03:27 AM)Syne Wrote: Wow, SS, you really hold onto things. What do you do, bookmark posts of mine you want to bring up latter but don't have a witty comeback for at the time? LOL!
I had actually written much to that same effect before I decided to just play devil's advocate. I stand by the freedom of private business to do as it will. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy and moral/logical inconsistency of such nonsense.

I don't hold on to things, nor do I bookmark your posts. I have a good memory. I've told you that before. Did you forget?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(May 28, 2017 03:27 AM)Syne Wrote: If you're gut reaction to a whites-only screening is "KKK membership drive" then maybe you should examine your complete lack of scrutiny for similar discrimination 
My gut reaction is not giving a shit about an all women movie screening and after careful scrutiny I've decided that I still don't. I couldn't care less if someone else thinks it is discriminatory.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Highly attractive women perceived as aggressive by other women when wearing make-up C C 0 70 May 1, 2022 07:25 PM
Last Post: C C
  Famed biologist allegedly harassed women for decades ('70s style) C C 0 384 Apr 29, 2018 07:58 AM
  Joanna Russ's unclassifiable style: How to Suppress Women’s Writing C C 4 901 Apr 10, 2018 07:37 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Wonder Woman "women-only" screenings go into litigation phase (marketing styles) C C 1 501 Aug 12, 2017 12:07 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Noam Chomsky style + The Shat's style C C 0 547 Apr 5, 2017 04:11 PM
  Lark style versus Owl style: Sex, drugs, late nights, and psychopaths C C 0 796 Jul 21, 2016 05:34 AM