Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Caning of gay couple: Indonesia continues descent into medieval religious code

C C Offline
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-17...ng/8534054

EXCERPT: Two young gay men have been sentenced by a religious court in the Indonesian province of Aceh to receive 85 strokes of the cane during a public ceremony. The men, aged 20 and 23, are the first people to be convicted of homosexuality in Indonesia. They were prosecuted under Aceh's strict sharia code. The sentence is greater than the original prosecution demand of 80 strokes each. The men will be caned during a public ceremony on May 23 in the city of Banda Aceh, just before the beginning of the holy Islamic month of Ramadan....

- - - - - - - -

Indonesian governor sentenced two years for blasphemy
https://www.scivillage.com/thread-3641.html
Zinjanthropos Offline
If I were to ask, is the freedom to be gay something worth fighting for? Perhaps not as a stand alone issue but for the overall status of freedoms within a country.
Magical Realist Offline
(May 18, 2017 02:54 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: If I were to ask, is the freedom to be gay something worth fighting for? Perhaps not as a stand alone issue but for the overall status of freedoms within a country.

Is the freedom to not be persecuted and discriminated against because of your sexual orientation worth fighting for?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(May 18, 2017 06:54 PM)EMagical Realist Wrote:
(May 18, 2017 02:54 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: If I were to ask, is the freedom to be gay something worth fighting for? Perhaps not as a stand alone issue but for the overall status of freedoms within a country.

Is the freedom to not be persecuted and discriminated against because of your sexual orientation worth fighting for?

I was thinking of Carol's war thread when I piped in. I was really wondering how she felt about it. Sexual discrimination is wrong in my book. Would I go to war to defend the right? It's these types of circumstances, multiplied by X that determines it.
Magical Realist Offline
(May 18, 2017 10:47 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(May 18, 2017 06:54 PM)EMagical Realist Wrote:

I was thinking of Carol's war thread when I piped in. I was really wondering how she felt about it. Sexual discrimination is wrong in my book. Would I go to war to defend the right? It's these types of circumstances, multiplied by X that determines it.

War isn't always necessary. There's always negotiations and sanctions. Amnesty International does some great work.
Zinjanthropos Offline
Agreed. However there are times when I'd just like to kick somebody in the ass if that would smarten them up. I'd be the last guy who would want to go to war over a single social freedom issue. That might change if someone else wants to take away many more freedoms even if I'm not affected.
Syne Offline
That's Sharia law for you. Yet many liberals, who especially ally with gays, seem to make excuses for Muslims.
Zinjanthropos Offline
My departed father in law fought the Germans in WWII for 6 years and as soon as that ended, another 4 in Indonesia. Yep, he was Dutch, and he was trying to prevent Indonesian independence. According to him, the Germans were pussycats compared to the Indonesians. He was terrified of them whenever he saw one. About the only claim to fame that I can think of for Indonesia is that they lead the league in lost jetliners or is that Malaysia, don't matter, close enough. Now they cane gays, what a shithole country to allow such an act to take place. Do they have a volcano ready to pop?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Political signaling? Pope ignores gay Catholics practicing chastity (church doctrine) C C 0 60 Oct 9, 2023 10:32 PM
Last Post: C C
  Easily distracted? You need to think like a medieval monk C C 0 62 Jan 20, 2023 09:59 PM
  Neil deGrasse Tyson: "I'm not an atheist!" + Medieval friars riddled with parasites C C 4 168 Aug 24, 2022 01:39 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  NASA hires religious experts, for ETs + India's crackdown on religious minorities C C 4 138 Jan 1, 2022 01:19 AM
Last Post: stryder
  NY wants to ban religious vaccine exemptions + UK non-religious figures jump 46% C C 3 852 Apr 14, 2019 06:36 PM
Last Post: Syne
  CCP's biggest fear + Black Hebrew Israelites + Jews of African descent ‘unnerved’ C C 1 594 Jan 25, 2019 06:07 AM
  Legends of a medieval female pope may tell the truth C C 0 411 Sep 17, 2018 05:28 PM
  Indian court ruling raises LGBT hopes + China continues crackdown on Christianity C C 0 493 Sep 12, 2018 02:55 AM
  Updated- YouTube punished atheist for exposing preacher who wants gay people executed C C 1 431 Jul 4, 2018 08:30 PM
  The transgender spiritual leaders of Indonesia and southeast Asia C C 0 369 Jun 18, 2018 08:22 PM