Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The first book you ever read

Magical Realist Offline
I mean besides just short children's books. My first book that I remember was T.H. White's "The Once And Future King". I was entralled with this tale of Merlin's training of the young Arthur. It instilled in me a sense of magic and destiny in the world. That some things in your life are just meant to be, and all the universe will bend to make sure it happens.

“They made me see that the world was beautiful if you were beautiful, and that you couldn't get unless you gave. And you had to give without wanting to get.”
― T.H. White, The Once and Future King
C C Offline
I honestly can't even remember. At least I do know it was a library book rather than another one of my brother's paperback novels wedged and semi-forgotten in the sofa or some other piece of furniture. I'm pretty sure he didn't start the careless neglect habits till later, when he had an over-stockpile of whatever was accumulating in that dungeon of a room of his.
Ben the Donkey Offline
"Robinson Crusoe", Daniel Defoe. 

I was 8 or 9, I think.
I'd been sitting around a bit during school holidays, Mum decided I needed something to do and bought it second hand. I'd never read a novel before, but she says I sat out in the sun and read it cover to cover in a couple of hours. Certainly changed my life, I still remember it now.
Yazata Offline
Like CC, I don't really remember.

I do remember those (probably long gone) 'Dick and Jane' readers in first grade or whenever it was. The teacher went around the room and each of us had to read a sentence or two aloud. I still remember "Dick went hop, hop, hop. Jane went hop. hop, hop too."

As for a real novel, I'm like Ben. I read 'Robinson Crusoe' as a youth too, at about the same age. I liked it then and like it now.

Perhaps influenced by that book, I started reading science fiction at an early age, and was really into it during high school.
elte Offline
I think it was either Charlotte's Web or The Once and Future King, when I began high school. Further thought and looking at a list of required reads in high school increases my doubt that it was one of those two, though I did read them in freshman year. I think it was that year. Other possibilities are too numerous to mention.
cluelusshusbund Offline
The first semi-adult type book i read was The Chinese Junk (Hardy Boys) for a 6th(?) grade book report.!!!
I chose a Hardy Boy book cause i thout i might not hate readin it... an The Chinese Junk cause it had the fewest pages of the Hardy Boy Books available at our Liberry.!!!

I thank the first real adult type book i experienced was n the 7th grade when the teecher gave us a list of 10 books to choose from for a book report... an i knew she just loved The Ugly American so i chose it thankin it might help my grade.!!!
I only spent about a hour readin an got an "A" on my report.!!!

I guess it just goes to show... formin a plan... puttin forth a little effort... a bit of luck... an ta-da... Excellent Grade.!!!
On the day we handed in our report i discovered that a real smart guy in front of me also read The Ugly American... an he wound up gettin a "C" on his report... lol.!!!
Syne Offline
I don't remember the names, or even stories, of several of the first. The first that sparked my interest in reading was Frank Herbert's "Dune".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sports Illustrated model makes history wearing first ever hijab and burkini Leigha 6 1,166 Apr 30, 2019 07:58 PM
Last Post: C C
  Kanye West writing philosophy book + Lewis Gordon's response to KW controversy C C 1 408 May 9, 2018 06:55 PM
Last Post: Syne
  Have you ever been openly (brutally) honest in an ''exit interview?'' Leigha 5 644 Feb 14, 2018 02:19 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  Do young people read books? And if not then what? confused2 20 3,146 Jan 1, 2018 11:42 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  What comic books did you read as a kid? Magical Realist 3 1,684 Oct 27, 2014 05:46 AM
Last Post: C C