Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What babies see you no longer can + Opposite parenting effects + Antidepressant myths

C C Offline
What Little Babies See That You No Longer Can
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/illu...onger-can/

EXCERPT: Before developing perceptual constancy, three- to four-month-old babies have a striking ability to see image differences that are invisible to adults. They lose this superior skill around the age of five months...

Parenthood seems to have an opposite effect on how men and women perceive babies' emotions
http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/02/parenth...osite.html

EXCERPT: In our part of the world, a growing proportion of fathers are rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in early child care. This has prompted increased interest from psychologists in any similarities or differences in the way that mothers and fathers interact with their children. One finding is that fathers tend to engage in more physical play, whereas mothers spend more time playing with toys and interacting socially. A new study in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology takes a fresh approach, asking whether mothers and fathers perceive babies' emotional expressions differently. The results, while tentative, suggest that parenthood may lead women to become more sensitive to babies' emotions, while men actually become less sensitive....

5 Antidepressant Medication Myths
http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/2016...myths.html

INCLUDED:

1. Antidepressants are “addictive”.

2. Antidepressants are “happy pills.”

3. Antidepressants are a "quick fix" and don't really cure depression.

4. Antidepressants will change your personality.

5. Once you start taking antidepressants, you're on them for the rest of your life.
Magical Realist Offline
A few more myths I have heard:

1) I've tried antidepressants and they don't work.

More likely you never found the right one that works for you.Or maybe your depression isn't biochemical in nature. Each antidepressant is different, some suitable for certain brain chemistries over others. Keep trying. It's worth all the fails when you find the one that works.

2) You can burn out on antidepressants.

Not really. Because of the nature of their functioning, you cannot reach a tolerance threshhold where they no longer work. I thought this was the case for Effexor, until I adjusted my dosage and found them to be more effective.

I've suspected numerous times that my antidepressant HAS changed me in certain ways. My sexual interest isn't as constant, which is fine by me. I also don't experience extremes of emotion as much, such as deep sorrow or rage. But this too is good as in fact being stable and mellow may be making me more myself than I was.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The opposite of deja vu Magical Realist 2 57 Jan 17, 2024 04:51 PM
Last Post: stryder
  Research Familiar scents can change the way we see color C C 2 113 Oct 31, 2023 09:38 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  We can now speak to dead relatives. Are we ready? (ethics, psychological effects) C C 0 142 Nov 7, 2022 09:32 PM
Last Post: C C
  Women who value self-direction tend to have more opposite-sex friendships (study) C C 0 60 Jul 7, 2022 07:21 PM
  Debunking body language myths + People vary in cognitive slash perceptual abilities C C 0 66 Jul 4, 2022 07:27 PM
  Why psychologists say 'authoritative parenting' is the best style C C 0 57 Oct 6, 2021 05:20 PM
  Long term psychological effects of continued work from home Leigha 4 161 Aug 9, 2021 12:04 AM
  You see color uniquely + Why some people hear colors & taste words + VR gender shifts C C 0 111 Dec 27, 2020 11:33 PM
  How Bots and Sock Puppets Manipulate What You See and Believe Secular Sanity 26 1,204 Jul 11, 2020 08:00 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  This man can't see numbers. But his brain can. C C 1 133 Jun 23, 2020 03:54 AM
Last Post: stryder