Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why psychologists say 'authoritative parenting' is the best style

C C Offline
Here’s what makes ‘authoritative parents’ different from the rest—and why psychologists say it’s the best parenting style
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/05/child-ps...-kids.html

EXCERPTS: . . . Parenting styles fall under four main categories [permissive, neglectful, authoritarian, authoritative]. It might be that you use one or more of these different styles at different times, depending on the situation and context.

Research tells us that authoritative parenting is ranked highly in a number of ways: Academic, social-emotional and behavioral. Similar to authoritarian parents, authoritative parents expect a lot from their children — but they expect even more from their own behavior.

What is authoritative parenting? Authoritative parents are supportive and often in tune with their children’s needs. They guide their kids through open and honest discussions to teach values and reasoning.

Like authoritarian parents, they set limits and enforce standards. But unlike authoritarian parents, they’re much more nurturing. Some common traits of authoritative parents:

• Responsive to their child’s emotional needs, while having high standards
• Communicate frequently and take into consideration their child’s thoughts, feelings and opinions
• Allow natural consequences to occur, but use those opportunities to help their child reflect and learn
• Foster independence and reasoning
• Highly involved in their child’s progress and growth

[...] Let’s say your 10-year-old son begs not to go to soccer practice: “I don’t want to because I don’t think I’m good at it.”

In response,

• A permissive parent might say, “It’s up to you.”
• A neglectful parent might say, “Whatever you want ... it’s your life.”
• An authoritarian parent might say, “You have to. I don’t want to hear another word from you.”
• An authoritative parent might say, “I understand that you don’t want to go. But sometimes, fighting the urge to avoid doing something hard is how you get better!”

While authoritative parents do set limits and expect their kids to behave responsibly, they don’t just demand blind obedience. They communicate and reason with the child, which can help inspire cooperation and teach kids the reason behind the rules... (MORE - missing details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Psychologists were wrong about self control + Fear of being without smartphone C C 1 71 Jan 4, 2024 12:46 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Article Stereotypes might not be as powerful as psychologists assumed C C 0 63 Nov 10, 2023 06:54 PM
Last Post: C C
  What babies see you no longer can + Opposite parenting effects + Antidepressant myths C C 1 536 Feb 3, 2016 08:38 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Fox News Or MSNBC May Be Biological, Say Evolutionary Psychologists C C 1 641 Jun 8, 2015 05:38 PM
Last Post: Yazata