Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

People Are Scaring Their Cats with Cucumbers. They Shouldn’t

C C Offline
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/...-behavior/

EXCERPT: What happens when you put a cucumber behind a cat? Some felines couldn't care less about the vegetable intrusion, but others leap high into the air when they see it. Videos of such encounters are going viral this week, as people try to see how their own pets respond. But that’s not good for the animals, experts warn....
elte Offline
Those poor cats.  I was thinking that might be it--in their startlement they thought it was a green snake.  I saw the headline somewhere else and seeing it here gave me a good opportunity to checkout the story.

I'm sorry that as a kid, I partook in our scaring our cat with a giant stuffed mouse.  I feel a kinship with mammals these days as fellow thinking animals.  I wish we all could live in more peace, however, the raccoons around here can get into damaging property.  Part of the problem is that bursting human population is crowding out wild animal habitat.  The deer are also getting problematic.  Yesterday I noticed that the bark was scraped off one side of the young mimosa tree.  I hope it survives okay because the old one near it has flowers that look too pale.
Yazata Offline
I've seen those videos of cats leaping into the air too.

The question I have is why are cats scared by cucumbers.

Is it their appearance? Do they look like some horrible green living thing, a giant slug or something? (A giant slug would gross me out, but I suspect a cat wouldn't care...)

Or is it something about the cucumber's smell?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientists can hold on to their religious faith + People with ostrich foot syndrome C C 0 132 Aug 22, 2022 06:49 PM
Last Post: C C
  Why people snub their friends with their phone C C 0 88 Aug 9, 2021 11:30 PM
  More on rats: They smell cooperative behavior in other rats & increase their own C C 5 348 Nov 26, 2020 11:02 PM
  Mystery solved? Why cats eat grass C C 1 211 Aug 11, 2019 07:16 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  How cats conquered the world + How to stop the nasty lurking toxoplasmosis parasite? C C 0 223 Jun 19, 2017 06:27 PM
  Cats have the best relationships with adult women + What's slug doing on this cat? C C 0 280 May 11, 2017 06:58 PM
  Why do people read science blogs? And who are they? C C 0 494 Oct 2, 2015 06:54 PM