Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More on rats: They smell cooperative behavior in other rats & increase their own

C C Offline
https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/3240.html?id=6097

RELEASE: Despite their reputation, rats are surprisingly sociable and actually regularly help each other out with tasks. Researchers at the Universities of Göttingen, Bern and St Andrews have now shown that a rat just has to smell the scent of another rat that is engaged in helpful behaviour to increase his or her own helpfulness. This is the first study to show that just the smell of a cooperating individual rat is enough to trigger an altruistic and helpful response in another. The research was published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

It is well known that rats will help each other out. What the researchers wanted to know was whether the rat’s odour during this behaviour had any effect on another rat’s helpfulness. They therefore carried out a series of tests to study the importance of the scent of a rat while making cooperative decisions. The rats being studied could choose to help another rat by pulling a platform containing a reward towards the other rat’s cage. This provided food for the other rat but did not have any immediate benefit for them personally. The researchers then provided the test rats either with the smell of a rat that was being helpful to another rat in a different room or with the smell of a rat that was not engaged in helpful behaviour. The researchers were surprised to find that just the scent of a rat engaged in helpful behavior was enough to illicit helpful behaviour in the other.

Dr Nina Gerber from the Wildlife Sciences at the University of Göttingen, who led the research, says: “Test rats increased their own helping behaviour when they were presented with the smell of a helpful rat. Remarkably, this holds true even though they did not experience this helpful behaviour themselves.” She goes on to say, “Furthermore, such a ‘smell of cooperation’ depends on the actual activity of helping and is not connected to an individual rat. There isn’t a “special smell” for certain nice rats: the same individual can release the scent of being helpful or not, depending solely on their behaviour.”

The researchers concluded that physical cues – such as smell – might be even more important for rats to encourage cooperation than actual experiences. Gerber adds, “Even though people do not seem to rely on communication through scent in the way rats do, some studies indicate that scent is key for finding partners, or that smelling certain chemicals can increase trust in others. Whether there is such a ‘smell of cooperation’ in humans, however, would be an interesting question for future studies.”
confused2 Offline
Quote:Whether there is such a ‘smell of cooperation’ in humans,
Alcohol.
Zinjanthropos Online
I smell a rat here, suspecting satire/parody, making some sort of human social commentary. However she seems legit. Here's her track record....

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nina_Gerber

When we smell a rat there's usually something that gives it away. Call it intuition based on some sort of contact with an individual. Could even be something like reading what they have to say. If we'd never met and you suddenly showed up to help me pull my wagon then it's only natural that I should seek you out the next time I have trouble or even as a new friend. Personally I don't buy the doctor's finding. Did she identify a pheromone?
C C Offline
(Nov 26, 2020 04:11 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I smell a rat here, suspecting satire/parody, making some sort of human social commentary. However she seems legit. Here's her track record....

When we smell a rat there's usually something that gives it away. Call it intuition based on some sort of contact with an individual. Could even be something like reading what they have to say. If we'd never met and you suddenly showed up to help me pull my wagon then it's only natural that I should seek you out the next time I have trouble or even as a new friend. Personally I don't buy the doctor's finding. Did she identify a pheromone?

There was a similar study by different universities released back in March. Apparently rats produce an array of body-state related scents or carry lingering odors from specific activities. One gets the impression that the researchers themselves aren't sure of the exact olfactory cue origins.

Rats give more generously in response to the smell of hunger
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/...031920.php

The researchers provided rats with odor cues from hungry or well-fed rats located in a different room. They found that the rats were quicker to provide help (by pulling a food tray within reaching distance of another rat) when they received odor cues from a hungry rat than from a well-fed one. The authors then analyzed the air from around the rats, revealing seven different volatile organic chemicals that differed significantly in their abundance between hungry and satiated rats. According to the authors, the olfactory cues may result directly from recently ingested food sources, from metabolic processes involved in digestion, or from a putative pheromone that indicates hunger. This "smell of hunger" can serve as a reliable cue of need in reciprocal cooperation, supporting the hypothesis of honest signaling.
Zinjanthropos Online
(Nov 26, 2020 09:08 PM)C C Wrote:
(Nov 26, 2020 04:11 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I smell a rat here, suspecting satire/parody, making some sort of human social commentary. However she seems legit. Here's her track record....

There was a similar study by different universities released back in March. Apparently rats produce an array of body-state related scents or carry lingering odors from specific activities. One gets the impression that the researchers themselves aren't sure of the exact olfactory cue origins.

Rats give more generously in response to the smell of hunger
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/...031920.php

The researchers provided rats with odor cues from hungry or well-fed rats located in a different room. They found that the rats were quicker to provide help (by pulling a food tray within reaching distance of another rat) when they received odor cues from a hungry rat than from a well-fed one. The authors then analyzed the air from around the rats, revealing seven different volatile organic chemicals that differed significantly in their abundance between hungry and satiated rats. According to the authors, the olfactory cues may result directly from recently ingested food sources, from metabolic processes involved in digestion, or from a putative pheromone that indicates hunger. This "smell of hunger" can serve as a reliable cue of need in reciprocal cooperation, supporting the hypothesis of honest signaling.

Don’t know how well they can recreate natural conditions in a lab. These lab rats are in captivity, an added stress that free rats don’t face. Plus it’s free of predators and their smells. Totally different environments. I think if I was a starving captive that my sense of smell would be heightened dramatically. A new activity like pulling a cart full of food may cause a hungry lab rat to pay more attention to an odour it associates with food.
C C Offline
(Nov 26, 2020 09:54 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: Don’t know how well they can recreate natural conditions in a lab. These lab rats are in captivity, an added stress that free rats don’t face. Plus it’s free of predators and their smells. Totally different environments. I think if I was a starving captive that my sense of smell would be heightened dramatically. A new activity like pulling a cart full of food may cause a hungry lab rat to pay more attention to an odour it associates with food.

Well, lab-rat experiments do circularly provide information about lab rats. It's not exactly like a person inventing _X_ game so that they can acquire the security of being an authority (about _X_ game), but seems vaguely related.

In contrast, research on humans is only half lab-rat research. Since it is non-bred humans that are confronted on the streets by data-gatherers, or it is non-bred humans that are taken off the streets to be test subjects in artificial, experimental set-ups.

While the humans used are of the feral kind, they are nevertheless fully aware that they are test-subjects. Which surely doesn't disrupt responses or the natural course of things, any more than detecting a sub-atomic particle by "hitting" it with another particle would alter its otherwise undisturbed behavior.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Worm that jumps from rats to slugs to human brains has invaded Southeast US C C 0 70 Sep 24, 2023 03:25 PM
Last Post: C C
  We can survive on mushrooms, rats, & insects after a sun-blocking apocalypse C C 2 90 Mar 6, 2023 03:56 AM
Last Post: confused2
  Lifelike Behavior in Physically Simple Systems Yazata 5 340 Oct 13, 2022 06:06 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Pollution from wildfires may increase Covid19 risk in affected regions Leigha 4 172 Aug 16, 2021 03:29 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Why people snub their friends with their phone C C 0 88 Aug 9, 2021 11:30 PM
  The secret social lives of giant poisonous rats C C 1 257 Nov 20, 2020 10:37 AM
Last Post: confused2
  The case against plant consciousness + Behavior in a mouse's brain controlled C C 1 208 Jul 19, 2019 04:44 AM
Last Post: Seattle
  Bi-categorical tomato + Smell receptor fuels prostate cancer progression C C 0 288 May 30, 2018 03:35 AM
  People Are Scaring Their Cats with Cucumbers. They Shouldn’t C C 3 777 Nov 30, 2015 09:21 PM
Last Post: Yazata