Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Travel: Refugees who fled ISIS now fear backlash after Paris attacks

C C Offline
http://mashable.com/2015/11/14/refugees-paris-backlash/

EXCERPT: For many Syrians in the Calais refugee camp in northern France, the terror attacks in Paris on Friday night were particularly disturbing. Many have fled a bloody civil war in which the Islamic State has played a particularly brutal role.

[...] "I can't tell you how I felt when I heard about the attack in Paris last night," said one 25-year-old Kurdish Syrian man from Aleppo. "I fled Syria because of [ISIS]. Last night, I could not sleep. I can't explain my anger at seeing [ISIS] in France."

[...] "I feel very bad for the French, especially because they sent the Charles de Gaulle warship to carry out strikes against ISIS, to help my people," he said. "I want to say to François Hollande: If you want your people to be safe, you must withdraw Charles de Gaulle because otherwise there will be more attacks by ISIS — I have seen what they can do."

Another Syrian refugee, 23-year-old Ahmed, said he'd arrived in the Calais camp, also known as The Jungle, about three and a half months ago. He said French police beat him as they caught him trying to get across the fence to get into the Eurotunnel toward the UK.

"The French people have not been kind to me but I feel very bad for them," he said. "I can’t believe that [ISIS] can carry out an attack in France." On Saturday night, refugees held a vigil at the Calais camp to show solidarity with Paris....

Calais migrant camp on fire as France reels from Paris terror attacks
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/...ce-6830330

EXCERPT: [...] Last night a local anti-migrant group known as 'The Angry of Calais' also posted videos of the inferno on Facebook. That sparked speculation the blaze could be connected to events in Paris - but it is still unclear what caused the fire or whether it was a 'revenge' attack. And on social media, people pointed out that any anger with refugees and migrants in the 'Jungle' would be misplaced as they are fleeing ISIS killers.

Quote:To people blaming refugees for attacks in Paris tonight. Do you not realise these are the people the refugees are trying to run away from..? --xxx xxxxxxxx (@RFCdan) November 13, 2015

The drama in Calais came after a series of clashes with riot police during the week - resulting in 27 officers suffering minor injuries. Tensions have risen in Calais since the imposition of tough new security measures, including 15ft-tall, razor-topped fences and increased police patrols. Campaign group No Borders claimed that anger was stoked further when far-right demonstrators burned a Qu'ran in Calais last weekend.

A statement said: "The authorities allowed the far right to hold a demonstration last Sunday, inciting racial hatred, making death threats, and burning a Qu’aran in the middle of boulevard Jacquard (Calais' main street). In the evening 5 nazis wearing hoods went to attack migants near the Eurotunnel. These events made many people in the jungle understandably very angry and we suspect that this was linked to the reasons for the riot...."
Magical Realist Offline
"As of last night, the governors of 26 American states announced that they would refuse to allow any Syrian refugees into their states. Twenty-five of the twenty-six are Republican, as I imagine anyone reading this already could have at least roughly guessed.

Eleven million people have been driven from their homes. A quarter million are dead. America has so far generously offered to take in 10,000. Starting next year.

Texas governor Greg Abbott said in a letter to President Obama about the attacks in Paris: “American humanitarian compassion could be exploited to expose Americans to similar deadly danger… Security comes first.”

It’s funny, but I can’t find the line in the Gospels in which Jesus warns us of the dangers of humanitarian compassion. I don’t remember the Good Samaritan citing his own security coming first and refusing to help the dying man in case the bandits were still nearby.

But then these are also the same men who have loudly proclaimed that society would be safer if everyone just carried handguns at all times. Who have insisted that gun massacres would be impossible if they and their swinging dicks happened to be in a room when violence erupted. They drink the Kool-Aid of their own heroism, even while they hide behind fortress walls as the world burns down, with no understanding that heroes have always been the ones to run towards danger on behalf of the innocent, not away.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t on the one hand claim that your guns solve the problem of violence while on the other run frightened at the prospect of herds of refugees containing a hidden wolf. Of course that’s a danger. But if you only are kind when it costs you nothing, then you’re not a very good person.

So really, what would Jesus do, since that’s the question asked on all those bumper stickers and in all those books that fill up the Christian bookstores? Because I don’t think he’d listen to the dying and refuse to help out of fear of getting hurt. For all the vigorous exhortations of tough talk on the right, it’s those weak sauce liberals who aren’t afraid to help, who are willing to stop to aid the broken man despite not being the ones stockpiling arsenals.

Those 26 governors? They’re not Christian. They’re cowards."===http://www.pajiba.com/politics/26-coward...fugees.php

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unleashing canine travel: Tourism sector urged to adapt to dog-friendly travel demand C C 0 38 Dec 19, 2023 06:44 AM
Last Post: C C
  Space travel weakens our immune systems: Now scientists may know why (travel issues) C C 0 107 Jun 7, 2021 09:51 PM
  After two scrubs, Elon Musk will visit SpaceX launch sites in Florida (space travel) C C 2 239 Oct 6, 2020 11:58 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Nasa CubeSats disappear after flying past Mars (travel, vehicles) C C 0 460 Feb 6, 2019 07:19 PM
  The epiphanies of travel + Writing a travel book is an absurd undertaking C C 0 470 Jan 4, 2018 07:37 PM
  NASA turns on a set of Voyager 1's thrusters after 37 years (interstellar travel) C C 3 734 Dec 3, 2017 07:30 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Seven places to see the Eiffel Tower (not counting the original in Paris, of course) C C 5 1,531 Apr 9, 2016 02:00 AM
Last Post: Yazata