Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

After two scrubs, Elon Musk will visit SpaceX launch sites in Florida (space travel)

C C Offline
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/...n-florida/

EXCERPT: . . . So what is going on? SpaceX has now launched its Falcon 9 rocket more than 90 times, and before this week, recent delays have almost exclusively been due to weather rather than technical problems with the rocket or its ground systems. Musk apparently wants to know as well. [...] he took to Twitter to announce that he would visit the company's two launch sites in Florida...

[...] Musk would like SpaceX to increase its cadence such that it can reach 48 launches in 2021, which would more than double the company's previous record for total number of missions in a single year. Technical scrubs like the ones this week would prevent this. Achieving frequent launches will require smooth operations. "We're doing a broad review of launch site, propulsion, structures, avionics, range & regulatory constraints this weekend," Musk tweeted. "I will also be at the Cape next week to review hardware in person."

This visit is notable, because Musk is now spending most of his time in Boca Chica, Texas, working on the company's next-generation launch system, Starship. Now, he will be returning his focus to the Falcon 9 for a time. This will matter, because Musk truly serves as both the chief executive of SpaceX as well as its chief engineer. [...] He has always been, and remains, the animating force behind SpaceX's technical excellence... (MORE - details)
Yazata Offline
(Oct 3, 2020 11:44 PM)C C Wrote: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/10/...n-florida/

EXCERPT: . . . So what is going on? SpaceX has now launched its Falcon 9 rocket more than 90 times, and before this week, recent delays have almost exclusively been due to weather rather than technical problems with the rocket or its ground systems. Musk apparently wants to know as well. [...] he took to Twitter to announce that he would visit the company's two launch sites in Florida...

[...] Musk would like SpaceX to increase its cadence such that it can reach 48 launches in 2021, which would more than double the company's previous record for total number of missions in a single year. Technical scrubs like the ones this week would prevent this. Achieving frequent launches will require smooth operations. "We're doing a broad review of launch site, propulsion, structures, avionics, range & regulatory constraints this weekend," Musk tweeted. "I will also be at the Cape next week to review hardware in person."

This visit is notable, because Musk is now spending most of his time in Boca Chica, Texas, working on the company's next-generation launch system, Starship. Now, he will be returning his focus to the Falcon 9 for a time. This will matter, because Musk truly serves as both the chief executive of SpaceX as well as its chief engineer. [...] He has always been, and remains, the animating force behind SpaceX's technical excellence... (MORE - details)

SpaceX Cape Canaveral manager: "Mr Musk, what an unexpected pleasure"

Elon: "You may dispense with the pleasantries, commander. I am here to put you back on schedule."

Manager: "I assure you Mr. Musk, my men are working as fast as they can."

Elon: "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them!"

Look of horror on manager's face...

https://twitter.com/DavidNagySFgang/stat...3253585920
Zinjanthropos Offline
Just watched the 4 part Challenger series on Netflix and this sounds eerily similar to events leading to the disaster. Mainly the urgency of maintaining launch schedules and number of launches. I guess one could translate that into funding/money. If the highest authority says it’s a go then all project engineers can do is cross their fingers, especially if they’re aware of a mechanical or technical issue that could jeopardize mission success just like Challenger’s booster rocket o-rings. Is Elon doomed to repeat history?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article 18 cities in the US that are so bad you won’t want to visit C C 12 177 Mar 24, 2024 04:02 AM
Last Post: C C
  Unleashing canine travel: Tourism sector urged to adapt to dog-friendly travel demand C C 0 38 Dec 19, 2023 06:44 AM
  UK spaceports get green light, first rocket launch expected next summer (travel) C C 10 346 Feb 26, 2023 05:29 PM
  Company that aims to race SpaceX to Mars plays with fire (travel) C C 1 64 Apr 14, 2022 12:43 PM
Last Post: Kornee
  SpaceX's Elon Musk: 1st orbital Starship flight may be March (vehicle, travel) C C 0 64 Feb 11, 2022 11:12 PM
  Once-quiet battle to replace the space station suddenly is red hot (orbital travel) C C 0 49 Oct 30, 2021 12:40 AM
  SpaceX tourists struggled with space toilet (travel) C C 0 56 Sep 20, 2021 07:23 PM
  No ETs, life in space? This happens + SpaceX feels it can reach Moon sooner th' 2024 C C 0 75 Aug 23, 2021 04:23 PM
  UK space race investment is heating up + Someone paid $28 mil to travel with Bezos C C 0 105 Jun 12, 2021 10:25 PM
  Space travel weakens our immune systems: Now scientists may know why (travel issues) C C 0 106 Jun 7, 2021 09:51 PM