Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 DIY hacks for anxiety

Magical Realist Offline
https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/an...37378.html

"Many people already know that activities like yoga, exercise, meditation and talk therapy can help reduce anxiety. But what do you do when you’re trying to keep it together in an empty waiting room, driving alone to an appointment in rush-hour traffic, or trying to hold still on an MRI table?

We spoke with licensed clinical social worker Carmella Wygant. Here are seven strategies she uses to help manage anxiety in the moment — and why they work to relieve stress.

1. Diaphragmatic breathing

What it is: Consciously controlling an automatic process

How to do it: Close your eyes and pull as much air as you can into your lungs. Try to take in enough so that your belly actually pokes out. Hold your breath for a couple of beats, then let it out as slowly as possible. Try to breathe out as much air as you can by tightening your abdominal muscles.

Why it works: “The slower you exhale, the more you’ll engage the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for calming the body down after it’s had a bad fright or shock,” says Wygant. “You can’t be both scared and calm all at once, so focus on lengthening your exhale to get the most out of it. The long exhale is what tells your body everything is OK.”

2. Simple stretches

What they are: Releasing tension with movements you can do almost anywhere

How to do them: Gently press the tip of your tongue to the roof of mouth, and your jaw will often fall open and relax on its own. Tilt your head forward and roll it around slowly on your neck clockwise, then counterclockwise. Raise your eyebrows up and down a few times to loosen your facial muscles. Shrug your shoulders as if saying, “I don’t know,” then leave them up high for a few seconds before letting them fall.

Why they work: “People carry so much tension in their jaw, neck and shoulders and don’t even realize it,” notes Wygant. “But as psychologist Dr. Therese Rando once said, ‘If you can relax your body, you can relax your mind.’”

3. Use your words

What it is: Describing strong feelings verbally

How to do it: Ask yourself questions that force the analytical parts of your brain to engage. “What emotion am I feeling right now? Is it anger? Fear? Rage? Why am I feeling this way? Is it because of something that’s already happened or something that I’m only afraid might happen?”

Why it works: “Post-traumatic stress disorder studies show that some people take longer than usual to perceive a threat has diminished,” notes Wygant. “But when they’re asked to label or describe their emotions, it engages the prefrontal cortex in their brain and helps calm them down. Then, they can recognize, ‘Oh, that’s just a stick, not a snake.’”

4. Guided imagery

What it is: Using your imagination to induce feelings of well-being and safety

How to do it: Think of a person, place or thing that brings you joy or comfort, and picture it in your mind in as much detail as possible. If it’s the ocean, for instance, smell the salt water, watch the seagulls flying overhead, feel the warmth of the sand beneath your toes, and hear the waves crashing on the beach. If it’s the symphony, admire the beautiful grain of varnished wood on a violin, feel the smooth velvet of a seat cushion, and hear the bright, cheerful blasts of a trumpet. Then take five slow, cleansing breaths, and with each one, imagine yourself inhaling love, peace, and comfort, and exhaling fear, worry, and tension.

Why it works: “Studies show that people’s bodies can respond in the same way from seeing or envisioning an activity as they would from performing it themselves,” explains Wygant. “Triathletes, for instance, showed increased brain activity and heart rates while just watching videos of other triathletes competing.”

5. Change your language

What it is: Using a second language to redirect the brain

How to do it: If you speak more than one language — including American Sign Language — contact someone you know who also speaks one of your secondary languages and make small talk with them. Or, watch a TV show, listen to a radio broadcast, or read a book or news website in your non-native tongue.

Why it works: “When you switch languages, a different part of the brain has to take over,” explains Wygant. “That shifts your focus away from emotions.”

6. Lose yourself in music

What it is: Using music as a distraction

How to do it: “Changing the language” also applies to music, because making music activates a different part of your brain. So, if you have an instrument available and know how to use it, take a few minutes to practice a song or two. Or, if you’re not in a place where you can do that, imagine yourself playing one of your favorite pieces instead, and really savor the experience.

Why it works: “Playing music just gives your brain a reprieve,” explains Wygant. “During finals in school, I remember students lining up for the chance to play the piano in one of our lobbies. Because when you’re making music, you’re not thinking about anatomy or organic chemistry. And afterward, you can just think much more clearly and solve problems a whole lot better.”

7. Make a new playlist

What it is: Creating a new music collection on a smartphone, tablet or computer

How to do it: Start with three of your favorite songs right now. Then add three more songs you liked last year, or back in college or during high school or as a kid. Keep going as long as you wish, or until you have a collection that feels complete.

Why it works: “Music relaxes people,” says Wygant. “It’s as simple as that. And when the memories and feelings elicited by certain songs are very happy, they completely distract you. The mind cannot focus on two different things at once. So, change the channel and get yourself off the worry station.”
C C Offline
I just want to get to sleep. Or stay asleep for _X_ hours is actually more the problem. I might have to look into this:

The 5-step “military method” for falling asleep in minutes
https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/military-method-sleep/

The military method is a sleep technique practiced by the U.S. Army to help soldiers sleep under any conditions, including gunfire. The method consists of five steps, focusing on progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing, and guided imagery to achieve a calm and peaceful state. Incorporating the military method into a nightly routine can improve sleep habits and overall well-being.
Magical Realist Offline
I do deep breathing to calm myself down when I am in bed trying to sleep. Before I know it I'm waking up and it's morning.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check⁉️ DIY: wilderness wound treatment + DIY: wild fruits lifesaver (Vanessa Blank) C C 1 187 Oct 22, 2023 07:21 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Bushcraft hacks C C 1 355 Jan 10, 2021 11:17 AM
Last Post: stryder
  (29 life hacks) You decide: Pointless? Dubious? Useful? C C 0 130 Oct 12, 2020 02:56 AM
Last Post: C C
  DIY space station air leak fail + Is Venus a DIY hell or did roving Jupiter cause it? C C 0 158 Sep 30, 2020 03:00 AM
  Before DIY protests, research what's really going on? + Janah's DIY poverty remedy C C 1 176 Feb 2, 2020 09:02 PM
Last Post: Syne
  43 camping life hacks (video) C C 0 215 Nov 15, 2019 12:42 AM
  DIY protection of chocholate treats (UK) + DIY grassroots protest of meat buying (NZ) C C 2 324 Sep 23, 2019 10:56 PM
Last Post: confused2
Lightbulb Life Hacks Leigha 0 183 Sep 2, 2019 04:31 AM
Last Post: Leigha
  DIY urban gardening hacks for small spaces (UK) C C 0 314 Apr 27, 2019 10:47 PM
  Ditching DIY for 'do it for me' + Binging on DIY videos + DIY plans for tiny houses C C 0 320 Jan 26, 2019 07:11 PM