Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Airplane turbulence is on the rise: Here's why (travel, vehicles)

C C Offline
https://www.newsweek.com/airplane-turbul...se-1790065

KEY POINTS: Research shows that airplane turbulence could be increasing because of climate change and become three times as common by 2050 to 2080. There have been several cases of severe turbulence in recent years. Flight attendants are calling for "lap babies" to be banned on flights following a recent incident. Research into the issue can help pilots plan smoother routes.

INTRO: Although not a pleasant experience, turbulence is a normal and sometimes inevitable part of flying. But it could be getting a lot worse—because of climate change. Here's why.

Turbulence is caused by wind shear—a variation in wind speeds and directions that occurs over a short distance in the atmosphere. When a plane hits these strong wind currents, it can push or pull the plane in different directions—this is what causes the turbulence. Commercial aircraft will usually fly high above these patterns to avoid it occurring often, but it can happen at many different altitudes.

In a 2019 study published in Nature, scientists at the University of Reading in the U.K. found that the vertical shear in jet streams has increased by 15 percent since observations first began in 1979.

Co-author of the study Paul Williams, a professor of atmospheric science in the Department of Meteorology at the University of Reading, told Newsweek: "We have accumulated a large body of scientific evidence now that turbulence is increasing because of climate change. An invisible form called clear-air turbulence is generated by wind shear, which, because of climate change, is now 15 percent stronger than in the 1970s. We expect a further strengthening of the wind shear in the coming decades, perhaps doubling or tripling the amount of severe turbulence." (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Although not a pleasant experience, turbulence is a normal and sometimes inevitable part of flying. But it could be getting a lot worse—because of climate change.

Turbulence is one of those quirks of flying that terrifies me. During turbulence I hunker down into a ball of praying flesh, overlooking the fact that I'm agnostic--turbulence being one of those triggering events that calls into question the whole premise of flying at 30000 feet in a long metal tube. I know all the statistical reassurances like getting struck by lightning etc. But someone has to crash eventually. Who's to say when and where that may happen?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SpaceX has a New Airplane Yazata 0 33 Jan 29, 2024 07:48 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Unleashing canine travel: Tourism sector urged to adapt to dog-friendly travel demand C C 0 38 Dec 19, 2023 06:44 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article Commentary: I'm ready to trade in my electric car. Here's why C C 1 101 Apr 25, 2023 08:22 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Why were zebras never domesticated? (living vehicles) C C 0 224 Dec 4, 2022 10:17 PM
  Pedestrian fatalities rise: US roads engage in deadly systemic oppression (vehicles) C C 0 168 Jul 18, 2022 06:40 PM
  Blame Congress for ludicrous cost of NASA's SLS & Orion (vehicles, travel) C C 0 52 Mar 2, 2022 08:21 AM
  Space travel weakens our immune systems: Now scientists may know why (travel issues) C C 0 107 Jun 7, 2021 09:51 PM
  SpaceX may send its Starship SN15 back into the skies soon (vehicles, air travel) C C 1 93 May 9, 2021 07:18 PM
  Delayed for years: What went wrong with New Glenn rocket? + NASA's electric airplane C C 0 134 Mar 2, 2021 10:49 PM
  Why moose love licking cars (vehicles) C C 1 174 Feb 3, 2021 10:09 PM
Last Post: Yazata