Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Article  Commentary: I'm ready to trade in my electric car. Here's why

C C Offline
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/other/co...r-AA1adENF

INTRO: I love how I never have to buy gas. I love how it glides quietly up the street. I love that it has so much pickup that I can easily blow past gas-powered muscle cars if I want to. I love having stickers that allow me to drive solo in the HOV lanes. I love that routine maintenance consists of little more than rotating the tires.

But after three years, I am thinking seriously of trading it in for the gas-powered hybrid plug-in version.

Why? Because as much as I love my car, I loathe that I can't travel around California, a state has led the electric car revolution, with confidence that I can get a charge when I need one.

Yes, there are significantly more public charging stations than when I first got behind the wheel of my Kia Niro EV in January 2020. But there are also significantly more electric vehicles vying to use them — and still vast areas of the state without a single fast charger.

Chargers are more reliable now, but still not quite good enough. In 2020, it felt like half the public chargers I tried to use weren't working. These days, l find only about a quarter are out. This jibes with the experience of researchers who checked public fast chargers at 181 charging stations in the Bay Area last year and found that about 23% weren't functional... (MORE - details)
Magical Realist Offline
Quote:Yes, there are significantly more public charging stations than when I first got behind the wheel of my Kia Niro EV in January 2020. But there are also significantly more electric vehicles vying to use them — and still vast areas of the state without a single fast charger.

I'm never buying an electric car. I don't want to deal with the stress of looking for a charger in some out-of-the-way stretch of the highway before my car konks out. I presently have a 2015 Toyota 4 Runner that has only 22000 miles on it and I'm going to hold on to it as long as I can. They're saying some states are goin to outlaw selling gas-powered cars by 2035. Call me a selfish air polluting prick but I will remain gas-powered till the day I die.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Airplane turbulence is on the rise: Here's why (travel, vehicles) C C 1 84 Mar 27, 2023 07:48 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Why is Dodge making an electric muscle car? + Branson vs Bezos: Who has better plan? C C 0 75 Jul 8, 2021 11:51 PM
Last Post: C C
  First look at new flying car + Half of young people want electric cars (UK) C C 1 552 Jul 12, 2018 10:37 PM
Last Post: Syne
  ‘The windscreen phenomenon’ - why your car is no longer covered in dead insects C C 0 264 Aug 27, 2017 05:30 AM
  Snail Car Returns at Warriors Parade, along with Shopping Cart Car Yazata 2 921 Jun 16, 2017 02:08 PM
  Why so much to get car serviced? Bowser 2 506 Aug 22, 2016 08:17 PM
Last Post: scheherazade
  Don’t look now, but your car is watching you: 12 In-Car Devices to Watch Drivers C C 0 443 Mar 18, 2016 06:28 PM
  Your driverless car is now ready Magical Realist 0 653 Oct 5, 2015 03:22 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist