Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How Stanford failed the academic freedom test + Dr. Harriet Hall has passed away

C C Offline
Going to miss Hall. She'd wrangle with things that the rest of them would squirm away from for Leftangelical reasons.
- - - - - - -

We are saddened to announce that The SkepDoc Dr. Harriet Hall has passed away
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/we-are-...ssed-away/

INTRO: As managing editor of Science-Based Medicine, I am greatly saddened to have to announce to our readers that Dr. Harriet Hall passed away unexpectedly last night. Her husband informed Steve and me earlier this afternoon, and the editor of her newsletter sent this email... (MORE - details) ..... HER WEBSITE: https://www.skepdoc.info/

How Stanford failed the academic freedom test
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/arts-...eedom-test

INTRO: We live in an age when a high public health bureaucrat can, without irony, announce to the world that if you criticize him, you are not simply criticizing a man. You are criticizing “the science” itself. The irony in this idea of “science” as a set of sacred doctrines and beliefs is that the Age of Enlightenment, which gave us our modern definitions of scientific methodology, was a reaction against a religious clerisy that claimed for itself the sole ability to distinguish truth from untruth.

The COVID-19 pandemic has apparently brought us full circle, with a public health clerisy having replaced the religious one as the singular source of unassailable truth.

The analogy goes further, unfortunately. The same priests of public health that have the authority to distinguish heresy from orthodoxy also cast out heretics, just like the medieval Catholic Church did. Top universities, like Stanford, where I have been both student and professor since 1986, are supposed to protect against such orthodoxies, creating a safe space for scientists to think and to test their ideas. Sadly, Stanford has failed in this crucial aspect of its mission, as I can attest from personal experience.

I should note here that my Stanford roots go way back. I earned two degrees in economics there in 1990. In the ’90s, I earned an M.D. and a Ph.D. in economics. I’ve been a fully tenured professor at Stanford’s world-renowned medical school for nearly 15 years, happily teaching and researching many topics, including infectious disease epidemiology and health policy.

If you had asked me in March 2020 whether Stanford had an academic freedom problem in medicine or the sciences, I would have scoffed at the idea. Stanford’s motto (in German) is “the winds of freedom blow,” and I would have told you at the time that Stanford lives up to that motto. I was naive then, but not now.

Academic freedom matters most in the edge cases when a faculty member or student is pursuing an idea that others at the university find inconvenient or objectionable. If Stanford cannot protect academic freedom in these cases, it cannot protect academic freedom at all.

To justify this depressing claim, I would like to relate the story of my experience during the pandemic regarding a prominent policy proposal I co-authored called the Great Barrington Declaration (GBD). I could relate many additional incidents that illustrate Stanford’s stunning failure to protect academic freedom, but this one suffices to make my point... (MORE - details)

RELATED (scivillage): Stanford's fickle commitment to science
C C Offline
Since Harriet Hall died last week, antivaxxers have been blaming COVID-19 vaccines. Their vileness knows no limits.
https://www.respectfulinsolence.com/2023...nd-friend/

INTRO: Regular readers might wonder why there was no post earlier this week, as I usually do at least three posts a week. (True, that’s less than I used to do back in my heyday 15 years ago, but these days I try to maintain a Monday-Wednesday-Friday posting schedule.) Truth be told, after the sudden death of Harriet Hall (a.k.a. The SkepDoc), I just didn’t much feel like it. Now I do, and the reason that I do is probably something that regular readers might be able to guess.

That’s right. Unfortunately antivaxxers have glommed onto her death and have added to their “died suddenly” narrative, their conspiracy theory that COVID-19 vaccines are causing a wave of people “dying suddenly.” I’m not surprised. I wish I were... (MORE - details)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How journals & academic enablers are corrupting reporting on crop biotechnology C C 0 97 Feb 2, 2024 04:33 AM
Last Post: C C
  Article When did “herd immunity” become a taboo phrase? + The freedom to harm C C 0 68 Sep 13, 2023 06:18 PM
  Article WHO promotes quackery again + AI use seeps into academic journals C C 1 90 Aug 26, 2023 11:39 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Article Corruption of the academic peer-review process (climate science) C C 4 160 Aug 5, 2023 05:29 PM
  Article Research finds no gender bias in academic science + WHO's pseudoscience problem C C 0 69 Apr 29, 2023 06:44 PM
  Stanford University’s fickle commitment to science (Part 1) C C 0 120 Jan 10, 2023 09:10 PM
  Mandated political prerequisites drive Jonathan Haidt to quit academic society C C 0 236 Oct 5, 2022 04:22 AM
  Academic freedom on the decline C C 0 66 Mar 3, 2022 06:04 PM
  Bad academic writing of the year award C C 0 68 Feb 17, 2022 05:50 PM
  Academic ideologues are corrupting STEM (Anna Krylov) C C 0 167 Dec 21, 2021 01:07 AM