Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The last in the line of defense against evil

Ostronomos Offline
I saw a related thread recently in ethics and morals.

Could it be possible that self-defense is justified when the situation escalates from words to violence?

If a person does not accept a reasonable and rational argument using sound logic are they considered ignorant or evil? Or both? Where is the line drawn?

I am a bit of a martial artist which comes with the territory of being the great genius. So I can't help but think that reason and logic should reign supreme in all arguments. But what if a fool struggles to listen to reason and they react with an emotional outburst and even violence?
C C Offline
(Dec 15, 2022 10:35 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: [...] But what if a fool struggles to listen to reason and they react with an emotional outburst and even violence?

You're in Canada, right? Defend yourself if you don't mind being arrested, spending time in the hospital, being sued, being dead or a combination of them in some sequence. Otherwise, get the heck out there or away.

Pretend the other guy has experienced all those things before (sans death), and is so close to rock bottom now that he doesn't mind going through it all again, or even acquiring the big prize of a cremation appointment. IOW, he's got the advantage either because he has no life, or in a moment of madness, doesn't care if he loses it or wrecks it. He's trying to use you to score some highs on his love of receiving misery and punishment.
Ostronomos Offline
(Dec 16, 2022 03:55 AM)C C Wrote:
(Dec 15, 2022 10:35 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: [...] But what if a fool struggles to listen to reason and they react with an emotional outburst and even violence?

You're in Canada, right? Defend yourself if you don't mind being arrested, spending time in the hospital, being sued, being dead or a combination of them in some sequence. Otherwise, get the heck out there or away.

Pretend the other guy has experienced all those things before (sans death), and is so close to rock bottom now that he doesn't mind going through it all again, or even acquiring the big prize of a cremation appointment. IOW, he's got the advantage either because he has no life, or in a moment of madness, doesn't care if he loses it or wrecks it. He's trying to use you to score some highs on his love of receiving misery and punishment.

Forgive me for making a big deal out of it. It wasn't as alarming as I thought it was going to be. Reason triumphs again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My response to "Special Pleading and the Problem of Evil" Ostronomos 13 426 Jul 6, 2021 12:24 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Why God allows Evil Ostronomos 4 429 Jun 17, 2018 06:19 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Evil Defined Ostronomos 0 215 May 6, 2018 07:25 PM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  In Defense of Pretentiousness: Is authenticity overrated? + Non-existent thrills C C 1 597 Apr 21, 2016 06:45 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist