Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My response to "Special Pleading and the Problem of Evil"

Ostronomos Offline
Your caricature of God and examples of the phenomenon of evil are certainly eye-opening and indisputable evidence that there MUST be no God behind the material universe. NOT!

What those who believe they can dispute God in a few simple paragraphs or even a website fail to realize is that they are ignorant of the phenomenon they give examples of and because of that, it is inconceivable to them. Fools dismiss things they don't understand in a few words and if they wish to construct a world of lies they do it in more than a few.

Your failure to even remotely formulate a convincing argument that there is no supernatural dimension is a joke. But thanks anyways.
Syne Offline
You're talking to the voices in your head, right?
Yazata Offline
(Jul 3, 2021 05:44 PM)Syne Wrote: You're talking to the voices in your head, right?

He's responding here to a post made on Religiousforums.com. I don't have a clue why. Maybe he got confused.

His post doesn't make a whole lot of sense in context of that thread and it makes almost none here.
Syne Offline
Well, the self-deluded are often lacking in communication and critical thinking skills.
Ostronomos Offline
IT DOES MAKE SENSE! I ALREADY TOLD YOU I AM A FUCKING GENIUS!

I FUCKING HATE THIS PLACE!

I DIDN'T GET CONFUSED I FUCKING COPY PASTED MY FUCKING POST FROM RELIGIOUS FORUMS AND YOU KNOW IT!

I HATE YOU ALL!

HOW DARE YOU SAY IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. YOU THINK I'M INSANE YOU FOOL??? WHAT TRITE ACCUSATIONS!!!
stryder Offline
One of the problems with cannabis usage is it can lead people to be prone to misconceptions and even delusions. The reason for this due to how the rewards centre is effected by the drug itself.

For instance lets say you consider yourself to be a genius (which is a label or moniker that nobody should give themselves). It's more than likely that you've had some thought which in turn caused an elated reward reaction that makes you "think/feel" you're a genius, rather than actually being one. It's a bit "Emperors new clothes" in the sense that you are blinded by your belief, however to the outside world looking in just sees you as a deluded pot head.

It might sound harsh, but it's the observational truth. As I've tried to suggest previously.... You need to quit smoking weed for a while (at least a couple of months) then have a read of the things you've said and see if you think the same way when sober.
Syne Offline
(Jul 4, 2021 04:21 PM)stryder Wrote: For instance lets say you consider yourself to be a genius (which is a label or moniker that nobody should give themselves). 
Too true. Even if you have an IQ that qualifies (or you're even in Mensa), you should be aware that no one on the internet is going to take your word for it. Then it's a matter of what you can demonstrate, not to your own self-deluded satisfaction, but to the satisfaction of others, to make that determination on their own. Unless a person is socially stunted, recognizing that much would seem to be a bare minimum for a genius. And if stunted, they're an idiot savant, at best.

Quote:As I've tried to suggest previously.... You need to quit smoking weed for a while (at least a couple of months) then have a read of the things you've said and see if you think the same way when sober.
Very solid advice. And as a former pot smoker, it comes from personal experience. You cannot hope to accurately judge the merit of your own ideas while marijuana is still in your system, which is at least a month. Plus another month or more for your brain to readjust to its normal processing.
Yazata Offline
(Jul 4, 2021 02:25 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: IT DOES MAKE SENSE! I ALREADY TOLD YOU I AM A FUCKING GENIUS!

I FUCKING HATE THIS PLACE!

I DIDN'T GET CONFUSED I FUCKING COPY PASTED MY FUCKING POST FROM RELIGIOUS FORUMS AND YOU KNOW IT!

I often have several youtube livestreams open at once on different tabs on my computer. I might be listening to the sound from one while watching video from another. I do that a lot with rocket launches and stuff like that. And on more than one occasion I've posted comments in the wrong youtube chat, remarks about something happening on one stream posted on a different stream. Oops.

I speculated that you accidently posted something here that you really intended to post on Religiousforums.

If your posting it here was intentional and not an accident, then the question arises - why? What were you trying to accomplish?

Quote:I HATE YOU ALL!

HOW DARE YOU SAY IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Well it doesn't, absent its context. You mention a caricature of God. What caricature? It's impossible for us to know what kind of idea you are responding to without being able to see the post that set you off.

The thread on that board was about the traditional theological problem of evil. It wasn't (at least directly) "evidence that there MUST be no God behind the material universe". The problem of evil is more about the idea that the existence of evil is inconsistent with the widely held theological idea that among God's attributes are omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence. Was the idea that somebody questioned over on that board whether those attributes are consistent with the existence of evil the offense you perceived as the "caricature" of God that so obviously angered you over here?

Quote:YOU THINK I'M INSANE YOU FOOL??? WHAT TRITE ACCUSATIONS!!!

You merely posted something on Scivillage that seemingly was intended for another board.

That's not a terrible thing and it doesn't necessarily imply anything one way or another about your sanity. But since you brought it up, I'm not a shrink and I'll leave the question of your sanity to the relevant mental health professionals.
Ostronomos Offline
PHP Code:
Well it doesn't, absent its context. You mention a caricature of God. What caricature? It's impossible for us to know what kind of idea you are responding to without being able to see the post that set you off.
The thread on that board was about the traditional theological problem of evilIt wasn't (at least directly) "evidence that there MUST be no God behind the material universe". The problem of evil is more about the idea that the existence of evil is inconsistent with the widely held theological idea that among God's attributes are omnipotenceomniscience and omnibenevolenceWas the idea that somebody questioned over on that board whether those attributes are consistent with the existence of evil the offense you perceived as the "caricature" of God that so obviously angered you over here?  

YES!

It pissed me off.

People have so many beliefs and misconceptions that they tout as evidence that there is no God. I hate it.

(Jul 4, 2021 06:22 PM)Syne Wrote:
(Jul 4, 2021 04:21 PM)stryder Wrote: For instance lets say you consider yourself to be a genius (which is a label or moniker that nobody should give themselves). 
Too true. Even if you have an IQ that qualifies (or you're even in Mensa), you should be aware that no one on the internet is going to take your word for it. Then it's a matter of what you can demonstrate, not to your own self-deluded satisfaction, but to the satisfaction of others, to make that determination on their own. Unless a person is socially stunted, recognizing that much would seem to be a bare minimum for a genius. And if stunted, they're an idiot savant, at best. 

Oh shut up. I don't care if nobody gives themselves that label I do. And I wear it proudly.

(Jul 5, 2021 04:34 PM)Ostronomos Wrote:
PHP Code:
Well it doesn't, absent its context. You mention a caricature of God. What caricature? It's impossible for us to know what kind of idea you are responding to without being able to see the post that set you off.
The thread on that board was about the traditional theological problem of evilIt wasn't (at least directly) "evidence that there MUST be no God behind the material universe". The problem of evil is more about the idea that the existence of evil is inconsistent with the widely held theological idea that among God's attributes are omnipotenceomniscience and omnibenevolenceWas the idea that somebody questioned over on that board whether those attributes are consistent with the existence of evil the offense you perceived as the "caricature" of God that so obviously angered you over here?  

YES!

It pissed me off.

People have so many beliefs and misconceptions that they tout as evidence that there is no God. I hate it.

(Jul 4, 2021 06:22 PM)Syne Wrote:

Oh shut up. I don't care if nobody gives themselves that label I do. And I wear it proudly.

Here it is again, I'M A GENIUS!
Syne Offline
(Jul 5, 2021 04:34 PM)Ostronomos Wrote: I don't care if nobody gives themselves that label I do. And I wear it proudly.

And that only serves to prove you are not a genius.
It's obvious you're just trying to convince yourself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The last in the line of defense against evil Ostronomos 2 120 Dec 17, 2022 12:43 AM
Last Post: Ostronomos
  Response to "God isn't real. Prove me Wrong" Ostronomos 0 289 Aug 24, 2018 04:56 PM
  Why God allows Evil Ostronomos 4 429 Jun 17, 2018 06:19 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Evil Defined Ostronomos 0 215 May 6, 2018 07:25 PM
  Does experience provide a direct link to reality? Or is it simply creative response? C C 1 656 Apr 3, 2016 06:46 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist