Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scientific American (and math) go full woke

C C Offline
https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2021/08/2...full-woke/

INTRO (Jerry Coyne): As we all know, Scientific American is changing from a popular-science magazine into a social-justice-in-science magazine, having hardly anything the science-hungry reader wants to see any more. I urge you to peruse its website and look for the kind of article that would have inspired me when I was younger: articles about pure science. Now the rag is all about inequities and human diseases.

In the past couple of months, there have been some dire op-eds, and here’s another one—not as bad as some others, but (especially for a science magazine) riddled with unexamined assumptions. Click on the screenshot to read it. Apparently the “racial reckoning” that began last year has now crept into mathematics.

After reading it, I have two questions: Is mathematics structurally racist? And why has Scientific American changed its mission from publishing decent science pieces to flawed bits of ideology?

The article, of course, claims that mathematics is a hotbed of racism and misogyny, which explains why there are so few women and blacks in academic mathematics... (MORE)
Leigha Offline
To me, from a classroom perspective, there's nothing wrong with teaching ''concepts and ideas'' over procedures/solutions and so on (because not everyone learns in the same way), but attaching any type of ''woke'' agenda may hinder potential progress and could possibly set teachers (and students) up to fail.
Yazata Offline
I've given up on Scientific American. It's a once-great science magazine absolutely ruined by its new owners. Today it's almost unreadable. Pretty much a waste of time and best ignored.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Scientific American proposes policing the language of astronomy C C 1 86 Jan 10, 2024 04:09 AM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  Article "Scientific American" is back to distorting the facts to buttress its ideology C C 1 101 Oct 26, 2023 11:48 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Article Once again, Scientific American ideology distorts science: "Animal sex is not binary" C C 0 57 May 19, 2023 02:05 PM
Last Post: C C
  Scientific American finds SETI racist & colonialist + Fat acceptance movement (Maher) C C 2 142 Aug 14, 2022 11:01 PM
Last Post: Syne
  "Woke" school invasion runs into math obstacle from both parents & educators C C 0 68 Mar 30, 2022 05:19 PM
  Aaronson: demise of Scientific American + Richard Dawkins on race & sex controversy C C 0 92 Jan 6, 2022 06:13 PM
  'Woke' Scientific American goes anti-GMO + SciAm's hit job on E.O. Wilson C C 1 88 Jan 1, 2022 02:18 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Michael Shermer documents the decline and fall of Scientific American C C 0 82 Nov 19, 2021 07:07 PM
  "Planet of the Humans" comes this close to real problem, then goes full ecofascism C C 0 267 Apr 25, 2020 06:20 AM
  Scientific American says 5G is dangerous, vegetables are junk food C C 0 245 Oct 23, 2019 03:03 PM