Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gardening: 6 Plants That Beat Butterfly Bush for the Wildlife Draw

C C Offline
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/16875538/...dlife-Draw

EXCERPT: No one believes me [...but...] The butterfly bush sees one-tenth, even one-twentieth of the action of almost any other native plant. [...] It has proven invasive on both U.S. coasts [...] A native of Asia, it has no checks and balances in the U.S., and as a larger wildlife-supporting plant, it just doesn't pass muster. [...] Butterfly bush flowers limit the types of insects that can reach its nectar, but besides this the nectar and plant have no evolutionary history with native insects — they aren't adapted to each other, so they're like perfect strangers.

[...] The key to good garden design, and replacing butterfly bush, is succession gardening. This means always having something in bloom from spring through fall. When one key pollinator plant stops blooming, another turns on to take its place.

This way we can mimic the long bloom time of butterfly bush, which helps our garden aesthetically while benefiting insects. I'm going to run down a list of plants native to a large portion of the central and eastern U.S., but you should always confirm what's native to you....
elte Offline
I had the small prettier type of butterfly bush, but the frost killed it.

I've noticed that milkweed tends to attract a lot of bees and butterflies.  I'm trying to get some of the common milkweed started here this year.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Chimps beat humans in these cognitive tests (mind games) C C 0 59 Mar 16, 2023 09:24 PM
Last Post: C C
  Why sunflowers face east (gardening hobbies) C C 3 146 Aug 14, 2021 08:07 PM
Last Post: Leigha
  BBC Main Headline:Chelsea beat Man City to win Champions League confused2 1 122 May 30, 2021 03:16 AM
  UK: Hens rescued + Ravens poisoned + (Oz) Wallaby adoptions anger wildlife services C C 0 328 Feb 20, 2019 08:27 PM
  A Beginner's Guide To Companion Planting (hobbies, gardening) C C 0 357 Jun 5, 2018 03:57 PM
  Garden tips for perennial plants + What to do in April (planting guide) C C 0 371 Apr 6, 2017 06:59 PM
  Growing sunchokes in a bucket (gardening) + Camping tips + Mixed bag C C 0 328 Feb 26, 2017 07:44 PM
  48 Smart Money-Saving Garden Ideas + Are Plants Art? C C 0 445 Jul 7, 2016 04:14 AM
  Hobbies: The Benefits of Rain Gardening C C 0 589 Jul 13, 2015 05:46 PM