Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jacques Vallee

Magical Realist Offline
I'm currently reading a book by Jacque Vallee called "Dimensions: A Casebook of Alien Contact." In my view no other ufo researcher has compiled as much data on this subject as he has. And the picture we get of the alien contact phenomenon, which was going on even in the Middle Ages, is far more complex and intriguing than just ETs from another planet. The phenomena itself has morphed itself according to the cultural beliefs of the historical era, attributed to gods and fairies in ancient times, to magicians in the Dark Ages, to genius scientists in the 1800's, and to ETs in our own modern times. We are left pondering a dilemma more disturbing than before: what is this transhuman intelligence that stages these signs and wonders in the heavens, abducts peasants and rednecks, leaving scars on them, and defies even our current knowledge of physics? What does it portend for humanity and the future evolution of consciousness and psyche?
====================================================================
"In his recent autobiographical book, Forbidden Science, Vallee summed up his views about the provenance of UFOs, a viewpoint that he's developed through decades of research: "The UFO Phenomenon exists. It has been with us throughout history. It is physical in nature and it remains unexplained in terms of contemporary science. It represents a level of consciousness that we have not yet recognized, and which is able to manipulate dimensions beyond time and space as we understand them." So much for anti-gravity-powered starships ferrying Big Brothers from outer space. Vallee thinks UFOs are likely "windows" to other dimensions manipulated by intelligent, often mischievous, always enigmatic beings we have yet to understand. (60 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time covers Vallee's theories in detail.)

No other UFO researcher has contributed more to an admittedly controversial field. But Vallee commands a measure of respect that must leave his colleagues feeling a bit envious. Even Philip Klass, the avionics expert and the media's favorite UFO-debunker, calls Vallee "one of the more distinguished members of the pro-UFO community." Vallee, he adds, "is one of the brighter physical scientists who believes in UFOs."===http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc839.htm
Yazata Offline
Magical Realist Wrote:I'm currently reading a book by Jacque Vallee called "Dimensions: A Casebook of Alien Contact."

Jacques Vallee is perhaps my favorite UFOlogist. I remember encountering his books in the 1970's and am glad to hear that he's still active (assuming that he still is).

Quote:In my view no other ufo researcher has compiled as much data on this subject as he has. And the picture we get of the alien contact phenomenon, which was going on even in the Middle Ages, is far more complex and intriguing than just ETs from another planet.

Right.

Quote:The phenomena itself has morphed itself according to the cultural beliefs of the historical era, attributed to gods and fairies in ancient times, to magicians in the Dark Ages, to genius scientists in the 1800's, and to ETs in our own modern times.

I guess that Vallee was the one that originally stimulated my own view that what I call the 'Flying Saucer faith' is a form of popular street-level alternative religiosity in which heavenly visitations have been repackaged in distinctly modern form. (At least what was 'modern' in the 1950's: Alien Spacehips and SuperScience!) Old wine in new bottles...

Quote:We are left pondering a dilemma more disturbing than before: what is this transhuman intelligence that stages these signs and wonders in the heavens, abducts peasants and rednecks, leaving scars on them, and defies even our current knowledge of physics? What does it portend for humanity and the future evolution of consciousness and psyche?

Where I differ from Vallee is that I don't attribute it to 'transhuman intelligence'. I see it as folklore, I guess, as the creation of the human imagination. It's like the miracles of the saints and appearances of the blessed virgin, or the uncanny powers of wizards like Merlin, all dressed up in pseudo-scientific drag. I guess that I see whatever is driving it as being the same impetus that has been driving human folklore for all of human history.

Quote:"In his recent autobiographical book, Forbidden Science, Vallee summed up his views about the provenance of UFOs, a viewpoint that he's developed through decades of research: "The UFO Phenomenon exists. It has been with us throughout history. It is physical in nature and it remains unexplained in terms of contemporary science. It represents a level of consciousness that we have not yet recognized, and which is able to manipulate dimensions beyond time and space as we understand them."

I agree 100% that it exists. I agree 100% that it has been with us throughout history. I'm less convinced that it's physical in nature, but there might conceivably be some unknown phenomenon there that is. When I think non-physical, I'm not thinking 'spiritual plane', I'm thinking 'sociological and psychological phenomenon'. It probably is unexplained by contemporary science. It may or may not represent a 'level of consciousness that we have not yet recognized'. But if so, I suspect it's a 'level' or aspect or process of our own consciousness. I'm more skeptical about 'dimensions beyond time and space as we understand them'. I'm doubtful that physics is the best way to understand this thing. I'd look to the psychology of religion perhaps.

I am not impressed by the 'Sciforums' approach to these kind of matters. ('It's not literally true, so it should be ridiculed and silenced'.) I think the fact that people do believe in (and feel that they actually experience) extraordinary things, is itself an extraordinary thing. It calls out to be better understood.

Quote:So much for anti-gravity-powered starships ferrying Big Brothers from outer space. Vallee thinks UFOs are likely "windows" to other dimensions manipulated by intelligent, often mischievous, always enigmatic beings we have yet to understand. (60 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time covers Vallee's theories in detail.)

I don't think that I'm prepared to follow Vallee that far.

Quote:No other UFO researcher has contributed more to an admittedly controversial field. But Vallee commands a measure of respect that must leave his colleagues feeling a bit envious.

What I like about him is that he's an original thinker who isn't afraid to think outside the box. I also like the longer-range historical perspective that he has on these phenomena.
Magical Realist Offline
Here's one of those famous airship encounters that happened in the late 1800's. Note that at this time the UFO was some sort of balloon contraption with mysterious passengers. I love steampunk!

"The alleged incident took place on May 6,
1897 in the Ouachita Mountains near Hot
Springs.

As the story goes, Constable John J.
Sumpter, Jr., and Deputy Sheriff John
McLemore were investigating reports of cattle
rustling near the community of Jessieville
when they came across an unexpected sight.

The two men were riding northwest over Blue
Ouachita Mountain when they saw a bright
light in the sky. The light disappeared behind
the hilltops and the men continued their ride.

After a ride of a few more miles, they again
saw the light. This time it was much closer to
the earth and appeared to be descending. It
once again disappeared, but after a ride of
another half a mile, the men's horses
suddenly refused to continue.

Looking into the darkness, the two officers
quickly saw the reason why. People could be
seen moving around with lights. Drawing
their weapons, they approached to
investigate.

Demanding that the mysterious people
identify themselves, the two lawmen were
startled when a man with a beard
approached holding a lantern and
announced that he and two companions
were traveling the country in an "airship."

He showed them his unusual craft. They
reported it to be cigar shaped and about 60
feet long. The mysterious man tried to coax
them aboard the craft, but they refused to go.

When they returned by the same place later
in the night, no trace was seen of the airship
or its occupants."=====http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/ar...rship.html
C C Offline
There were airships even before the 1890s (including a steam-powered one in 1852), but they weren't as advanced as those just after the turn of the century. Difficult to imagine any of the known ones (especially from Europe) traveling to the areas of the assorted mystery airship sightings in North America. While lots of free-lance inventors back then never had their experiments publicly documented (and their patents got buried under competitive clutter), it still seems astonishing how contraptions of any truly sophisticated character could escape national notice; or fail to garner published attention from at least local town newspapers.

Yellow journalists, however, were quite familiar with the existing airships and the futuristic expectations revolving around them. Back then tabloid news was yet to make itself into a wholly distinct genre separate from non-fictional or non-exaggerated reporting. One column of the "Holdenville Gazatte" might read like it had high standards while another column sharing space right beside it might read like it came from today's The Weekly World News. ["Skeletons of 15-foot tall Indian giants discovered in the caverns on local rancher's property!"]
Magical Realist Offline
I'm willing to believe there were maybe a few airships around back then. But many reports include details about the occupants that just seem too bizarre. It's also hard to believe that if they were made by human inventors that it would all be done in secret. A human inventor would be more than willing to take credit for these flights.

"December 1896 saw some sightings in the far west that eventually petered out. Some airships were sighted in Washington state in early 1897.

The majority of airship sightings from February to June 1897 were in a wide area stretching from Texas up into the western Midwest area, and across the Mississippi River. Sightings occurred in Oklahoma, Indian Territory, Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota, most of them in April 1897.

Hundreds of airships were sighted in April. We will note some of the better-known and more interesting ones.

The April 15, 1897 issue of the Jefferson Bee (of Iowa) reported that an airship had crashed on the north edge of town in a farmer's field. Most of the Jefferson's residents gathered around the gaping smoking hole. The next day, a man was lowered into the hole via a rope, along with a Volapak dictionary. Like Esperanto, Volapak is an artificial language.

Once in the hole, the man reportedly entered the airship. It seemed neat and clean, despite the violent crash.

That same issue of the Bee reported other airship crashes and captures in surrounding Greene County communities, such as Churdan. Various alien creatures were described.

During this same month, in Missouri, on a lonely road near Springfield, a traveling salesman named William Hopkins was driving his wagon when he suddenly saw an airship on the ground -- and two nude aliens! Hopkins lovingly described the nude female alien, saying she was "dressed in nature's garb." He described the male as a super-Grecian Adonis.

Hopkins later wrote a letter to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, wherein he mentions having kissed both of the alien's hands. Apparently, the three tried to communicate with one another. According to Hopkins, they were partially successful.

The aliens took Hopkins into their craft. From his description, it wasn't too 19th century. If one didn't know they were reading from a Victorian-era newspaper, one may consider the report a modern one. After a fairly thorough look-over, the aliens started the airship, and it began to rise.  Hopkins panicked and jumped off before it got far off of the ground."====http://www.weeklyuniverse.com/2004/airships.htm

[Image: Air_Ship_3.jpg]
[Image: Air_Ship_3.jpg]

"The November 19, 1896, edition of the Stockton, California, Daily Mail featured one of the earliest accounts of an alleged alien craft sighting.[9] Colonel H.G. Shaw claimed that while driving his buggy through the countryside near Stockton, he came across what appeared to be a landed spacecraft.[9] Shaw described it as having a metallic surface which was completely featureless apart from a rudder, and pointed ends.[9] He estimated a diameter of 25 feet and said the vessel was around 150 feet in total length.[9] Three slender, 7-foot-tall (2.1 m), apparent extraterrestrials were said to approach from the craft while "emitting a strange warbling noise."[9] The beings reportedly examined Shaw's buggy and then tried to physically force him to accompany them back to the airship.[10] The aliens were said to give up after realizing they lacked the physical strength to force Shaw onto the ship.[4] They supposedly fled back to their ship, which lifted off the ground and sped out of sight.[4] Shaw believed that the beings were Martians sent to kidnap an earthling for unknowable but potentially nefarious purposes.[4] This has been seen by some as an early attempt at alien abduction; it is apparently the first published account of explicitly extraterrestrial beings attempting to kidnap humans into their spacecraft."===https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship

[Image: Mystery_airship_SFCall_Nov_19_1896.jpg]
[Image: Mystery_airship_SFCall_Nov_19_1896.jpg]

Magical Realist Offline
"I have always been skeptical of parapsychologists, because their experiments and their theories borrow the standard concepts of space and time dimensions from physics. These concepts seem obsolete to me. They are not appropriate for understanding telepathy, or the moving of objects at a distance, or ghosts, or Melchizedek. I have always been struck also by the fact that energy and information are one and the same thing under two different aspects. Our physics professors teach us this; they they never draw the consequences." —Jacques Vallee

"In his 1979 book Messengers of Deception, Jacques Vallee called for a “physics of information” that would enable scientists to think in a more nuanced way about a wide range of paranormal phenomena. Four decades later, it is an idea that is now strongly resonating with many UFO writers. The late Bruce Duensing had been thinking about the equivalence of energy and information on his blog, for example; and lately I see the phrase “physics of information” everywhere I turn. Vallee himself reiterated his call in a TED talk, “A Theory of Everything (Else)” a few years ago (linked below).

In absence of a nice, materialist-sounding theory, the behavior, or character, of psi becomes almost like an interaction with an omniscient intelligence.

What Vallee’s book (and TED talk) left mostly between the lines is that his idea for such a physics arose as much or more from his involvement with psi research in the 1970s as it did from his thinking about UFOs. As a friend and colleague of the CIA-funded researchers and psychics who were revolutionizing the study of psi at SRI, Vallee, whose day job at SRI in the early part of that decade was developing the Arpanet, was in the right place at the right time to cross-fertilize their work with his own wildly outside-the-box thinking. (If there’s anything studying UFOs can do to some people, it is removing the usual barriers to thought and creativity.) Vallee’s contribution to the field of psi was decisive, and his comment about a physics of information directly refers to that contribution.

From the beginnings of psychical research in Frederic Myers’ day up until the early 1970s, psi was commonly (albeit not universally) assumed to work somehow on the model of telegraphic or radio transmission. This metaphor invokes the notion of a sender and receiver, and thus psi was generally thought to be fundamentally a connection between minds—that is, telepathy. The early research at SRI proceeded on this assumption. At SRI, the early protocol in what came to be called “remote viewing” was to use an “outbounder” as a psychic transmitter—that is, a confederate who went to a randomly determined location in the Bay Area while the psychic back at the lab described what they were seeing.

The SRI team was at that time struggling with how to make this form of clairvoyance more suitable to real-world intelligence applications, and they were forced to adjust their operating assumptions to a growing realization that it didn’t actually operate by known physical principles, or via anything like telepathy. They could find to electromagnetic force at work and no “inverse square law” that diminished ESP or psychokinesis (PK) over distance, and psi effects seemed to ignore any form of electromagnetic shielding. Another blow to the “telepathy” concept came when New York artist/psychic Ingo Swann joined the team, bringing with him a different model of how psi operated—not as telepathy but as some discarnate part of consciousness leaving the body and seeing things at a distance.

In his own previous work with ESP researchers in New York, Swann had traveled out of body to view concealed objects, and thus his assumption was that a psychic didn’t need another person as a sender of the information; the psychic could theoretically just “go there” and see the target in his/her mind. This worked so long as you knew where you were trying to go psychically; but the protocols at SRI demanded the psychic be blind to what and where the target was. How could the psychic know where to send his or her consciousness, or find the needed information, without something concrete to home in on?

Here is where Vallee, with his experience in the problem of accessing information in the virtual, dimensionless world of a computer database, was able to offer Swann a key piece of insight: thinking of psi information in terms of “addressing.” Vallee thus suggested to Swann using geographic coordinates to designate the target.* Swann saw the logic of this, and (according to Jim Schnabel’s account in his book Remote Viewers) initially waged an uphill battle convincing Hal Puthoff and the other SRI folks to experiment with using coordinates. The tries were a success, and thus “coordinate remote viewing” or CRV was born—the methodology that became the military protocol refined and taught by Swann to the first generation of military remote viewers over the subsequent decade."====http://thenightshirt.com/?p=3060

In Messengers, Vallee gave a fascinating taste of what a physics of information would entail, and how it might link up his various interests:

"If there is no time dimension as we usually assume there is, we may be traversing events by association. Modern computers retrieve information associatively. You “evoke” the desired records by using keywords, words of power: you request the intersection of “microwave” and “headache,” and you find twenty articles you never suspected existed. Perhaps I had unconsciously posted such a request on some psychic bulletin board with the keyword “Melchizedek.” If we live in the associative universe of the software scientist rather than the sequential universe of the spacetime physicist, then miracles are no longer irrational events. The philosophy we could derive would be closer to Islamic “Occasionalism” than to the Cartesian or Newtonian universe. And a new theory of information would have to be built. Such a theory might have interesting things to say about communication with the denizens of other physical realities."
Magical Realist Offline
"DBS: Tell us your objections to the extraterrestrial hypothesis as the explanation for UFOs.

JV: If we had done this interview 20 years ago I would have told you the best theory we have is that this is extraterrestrial. We do know that UFOs are a physical phenomenon, they offer us an opportunity to do some good science, and they seem to come from the sky. We have the capability to go to the moon and very soon to go to other planets. I do believe that there is life throughout this Universe. So why couldn’t "they" come here?

In the last 20 years we’ve learned a lot of new things about this phenomenon that contradicts the idea that it is extraterrestrial.

We have too many Close Encounters. The extraterrestrial theory on the first level assumes that these are explorers on a mission. They are supposed to have evolved on some other planet and are coming here. But if they have to study us by landing 100,000 times, they have to be very dumb! That’s approximately the volume of data we have on Close Encounters reports today. If you were to take into account that those tend to occur at night when there are fewer observers, if you extrapolate you would actually get into millions of landings.

Now, it wouldn’t take us millions of landings if there was a civilization on Mars we wanted to study. With something the size of a beer keg in orbit we could get most of the things we needed to know about them, especially if they’d been broadcasting "I Love Lucy" into space for so many years! Then we’d want to land to check some things and get actual samples. We’d land maybe a few dozen times, maybe a few hundred times, but we wouldn’t need millions of landings. So that aspect of it is a contradiction with the idea that it’s an extraterrestrial mission.

The second contradiction is the shape of the beings. They are uniformly humanoid in shape, somewhat bizarre and weird. They are described as having big eyes and being short with longer arms and so on, but still they have two legs, two arms. They have a torso and eyes that are adapted to exactly the same part of the spectrum as we are.

They don’t walk around with goggles or strange devices on their eyes. They seem to hear what we hear; they seem to be breathing our air. That means they’re human or very close to human beings! It’s very unlikely that beings evolving on radically different planets would end up looking like us, breathing our air, seeing the same part of the spectrum that we see. I think the biological statistics are against it.

So you can say, "Well, they are so smart they are using biogenetic engineering to adapt to this planet and its gravity." But then why don’t they just create complete human beings? If you can go 99% of the way, why not 100%, and then you’d be completely undetectable? So I think that’s a serious obstacle to the ET theory.

Another argument is that this is not a recent phenomenon. It is a phenomenon that has existed, as far as we can tell, throughout history in one form or another. Without going back to Ezekiel or to Medieval folklore, we do have excellent UFO report records from 1897. I personally have a number of sightings that living people whom I actually met with and interviewed have told me about that they were witnesses of in the twenties and thirties.

So this certainly invalidates the idea that we’re dealing with a civilization that has just discovered us and is coming here now. UFOs seem to have been a part of our environment for a very long time, perhaps as long as man has existed.

Another problem with the extraterrestrial hypothesis is the behavior of these beings. The mainstream of UFOlogy today claims that these are wise explorers of the galaxy who are coming here to study us and the proof of that is what they do. In abductions, for example, they take away human beings. They seem to carry them inside a craft and they draw blood from them. They take samples from them, such as sperm and ova and these look like biological experiments to people like Budd Hopkins and his followers.

Well, I think it proves entirely the opposite thing, because the descriptions that are given of the medical examinations are crude to the point of being absurd. If you had this technology, disc-shaped vehicles that could fly silently and appear out of nowhere, paralyze people and remain unnoticed; if you wanted to, you could land on the roof of the Mayo Clinic or any large research hospital and you’d have access to the blood bank, the sperm, bank, the frozen embryo banks.

We are close to having the techniques for cloning people. You could potentially restart the human race with what we know today on Earth, yet we have only been doing molecular biology for about fifteen years. It’s a very young science, a new science. Think about it. If we can already do this and these beings are supposedly a million years ahead of us, they should be able to perform experiments that would be way beyond what we do.

Instead what people describe is victims coming back with obvious scars. They come back bleeding, they have things up their nose, they have terrible dreams, intense trauma, and they remember under hypnosis! The whole thing is completely absurd. The mind control people in the military already have drugs that can make people forget what they did for a week or what they did on Tuesday between 2 and 3, and no hypnotist could simply put them into a trance and recover the memory. So if we already have that kind of drug, a civilization millions of years in advance of us should be able to manipulate both the body and the memory much better.

Another thing that has been swept under the rug by UFOlogists, which is yet another argument against the extraterrestrial hypothesis, is that these objects change shape. In other words, they are not always discs or eggs or cigars. They change shape dynamically.

When I went to the Soviet Union, I met a man named Vladimir Azhazha, who is head of the research committee on UFOs in Moscow. He said, "You know, one of the most important aspects of this whole phenomenon is that it’s polymorphic." I wasn’t sure my interpreter was translating accurately, so I had him repeat that. He said, "It’s polymorphic; they change shapes. An object will appear as a disc and as it’s moving through the sky it will change into a cube or into a pyramid or it will vanish on the spot."

I showed him an article where I had said essentially the same thing. He looked at me and he said, "You know, it’s as if you and I had been working together for the last ten years." This shows something rather remarkable about the phenomenon, which is that two people who have been studying it in earnest in completely different parts of the world under completely different conditions will arrive at the same conclusions about it.

If it changes shape, if it can appear out of nowhere and disappear into nowhere, this is not just a bunch of spacecraft. This is a much more interesting technology that manipulates dimensions. It manipulates space-time.

And if it can do that, then it can be from anywhere and anytime.

DBS: Where are they coming from, if not from outer space?

JV: Let me try to separate what I think I can prove from personal speculation. I would feel comfortable standing up in front of a scientific committee and I think I could argue convincingly that the UFO phenomenon is a real, unrecognized phenomenon; that it is physical and that it can manipulate space and time in ways that we don’t understand.

Beyond that, my own personal speculation which I could not prove is that the phenomenon represents a form of consciousness that is nonhuman. There’s a big distinction here. A lot of people might agree that there are unrecognized phenomena in nature, but wouldn’t necessarily agree that they are conscious even though they are nonhuman. If UFOs represent a form of consciousness then obviously it could originate in outer space, but not with the first level, nuts-and-bolts extraterrestrial hypothesis. It would have to be a lot more sophisticated than that. There could be a form of consciousness out in space that can manipulate dimensions. But it could just as easily be here on earth. It could be using the Earth as its home port.

It could also be tied to human consciousness. The Collective Unconscious could be doing this to us, projecting images that are important during the current crisis we are going through. It could also come from a form of creature that has always lived on Earth with us and is not an alien consciousness, in the sense that we usually think of aliens. This goes back to the traditions about the faeries and gnomes and Little People: what I have called the Magonia tradition, that in fact there is another Universe right here. Perhaps most of us just don’t see it, but it’s here.

When I started Passport to Magonia, I gathered all the old books about the faeries and the Good People, the Good Neighbors. This is a wonderful body of literature. These beings did approximately what the UFO beings do today. They would fly at night in strange cone-shaped luminous craft, they would abduct human beings, they even had little pins that would paralyze you. This is centuries ago, okay? And it matches reports from people who see UFOs today.

So I think that parallel is very interesting. It’s still one of my favorite theories but there could be others! You could argue that there are natural phenomena that play a role in all this. For instance, Paul Devereux has written several books about "Earth lights" which he has shown to be tied to several megalithic sites.

Whether the megaliths have anything to do with UFOs, or whether those sites tended to have strange lights so that over the years people used them for their temple and put a rock there, is open to question. Perhaps it was a natural phenomenon all along. That’s a possibility, but it really does not explain all UFOs.

The other possibility is that there may be forces within the Earth tied to some old traditions. There may be unrecognized telluric currents, forces within the Earth that could manifest in the form of electromagnetic phenomena that could become luminous and float through the air. Usually those things we don’t think of as being intelligent but who knows? Maybe it could be a form of consciousness.

There are other way-out theories that I find entertaining. We could imagine superconductive clouds moving through the galaxy taking any shape they want. Say, if you were a superconductive hydrogen cloud ten times the size of the solar system and you wanted to look like a Volkswagen, who could stop you from looking like a Volkswagen? You could do anything you wanted to!

There is a book called The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle, who is one of our greatest living astronomers. It is a science fiction story about a conscious hydrogen cloud. Now, of course if there was such a cloud we’d presumably see it as it came closer to the Earth. But there may be forms of plasma that we don’t know how to detect yet, or maybe we’re simply not looking for them.

Now, I don’t specifically believe all that, but these are fun theories that should be looked at. Paul Devereux’s hypothesis of the Earth Lights is a very important one.

Geologists today are beginning to reassess the descriptions by people who said they saw lights before an earthquake: "I saw this globe of light and it flew down the canyon and ten minutes later there was an earthquake!" Geologists used to say those were ignorant farmers who didn’t know their physics. Now they are beginning to realize that before an earthquake the friction forces within the Earth could well create plasma or electromagnetic discharges that could become visible. In fact, scientists like Dr. John Derr at the US Geological Survey have found a correlation of these lights with fault lines and earthquakes."===http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienci...llee03.htm
C C Offline
(May 8, 2016 05:18 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [...] JV: If we had done this interview 20 years ago I would have told you the best theory we have is that this is extraterrestrial. [...] In the last 20 years we’ve learned a lot of new things about this phenomenon that contradicts the idea that it is extraterrestrial.

It's arguably as much a revival of the thinking and meanings exhibited prior to ET theory as entering a new era of post-ET interpretation. Since, before the affairs of science fiction came into vogue, these events were not often conceived as having space-alien origins, anyway.

Apocalyptic Christianity has always deemed them to be deceptive marvels performed by demons. But in earlier centuries there were doubtless other rival significances applied to them by non-Abrahamic occult systems and beliefs (as well as secular ones of that pre-Alien epoch). While the "old" view and style is gradually returning in UFO culture, those agencies formerly held responsible -- as well as the nomenclature -- will doubtless be tweaked and modified to feature more sophisticated versions. An urge to resemble / mimic intellectual standards or scientific and philosophical analyses and hypotheses.

- - - - - - - -

"When describing the conditions that usher in the End Times, Jesus gave several categories of startling events. Then he said to them: 'Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful sights and great signs from heaven.' (Luke 21:10-11) Fearful events and great signs from the heavens could include disastrous weather, modern threats, like asteroids, space junk, solar flares, and even UFO scares." http://www.bible-prophecy.com/ufo.htm

"We find it remarkable that, of all of the reports of abductions by aliens, none seems to have been of anyone claiming to be a begotten-again Christian. If this is true, then it may be the single greatest indication that 'aliens' are actually demonic manifestations posing as extraterrestrial creatures. If the only people who can be abducted are those who have not accepted the Lord Yeshua Messiah as their Savior, and if no one who has accepted him has ever been abducted, we have our answer to the mystery of 'space aliens'." http://rense.com/general32/expose.htm
Magical Realist Offline
I find it slightly suspicious that the claim that no christians are ever abducted is qualified with the "begotten again" adjective. That would conveniently support the whole fundamentalist narrative of aliens being demons who are regularly staved off by invocations of Christ's name. It would also explain why other Christians DO get abducted, but not the ones that are allegedly born again. Take the famous case of devout christian Betty Andreasson Luca for example. She interpreted the aliens as "angels of light":

http://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2010/...nuary.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jacques Vallée, UFOs, and the Case against ET Origins Kornee 4 194 Nov 13, 2022 08:55 AM
Last Post: Kornee