Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

In France's council estates, we have no protection from climate change

C C Offline
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2...ate-change

EXCERPT: I grew up in a cité, the French equivalent of a council estate [...] The majority of its residents were of African and Maghrebi descent. We barely had functioning elevators, so the council couldn’t be bothered to force us to recycle. [...] As I grew older, I realised that my friends who had the opportunity to leave the cité for more secure and bigger accommodation, such as gated communities in the suburbs, were almost all white. The few times I raised the environment issue at home, I was told that “recycling was for white people”. But environmental issues [...] don’t really care about our origins.

The first natural disaster which affected me was the French heatwave of 2003 [...] It was quite a big deal in the country back then, because about 15,000 old people died from heat stroke and poor living conditions. Suddenly, global warming was upon us. I thought that it just meant that we would have higher temperatures [...but....] Climate change means that we experience more extreme temperatures every year, both hot and cold. [...] Our houses are poorly insulated, green spaces few and tiny, turned into wasteland overrun by rats, and no facilities for recycling. We are the people France has forgotten....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Which islands will become uninhabitable 1st due to climate change? + Jaws of Snake C C 3 115 Nov 15, 2023 04:43 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article The terrible paradox of air pollution and climate change C C 0 94 Sep 18, 2023 03:20 PM
Last Post: C C
  Climate change won't stop the Gulf Stream. Here's why. (Sabine Hossenfelder) C C 2 115 Aug 1, 2023 02:19 PM
  An incendiary form of lightning may surge under climate change C C 0 75 Mar 1, 2023 06:30 PM
  A technologically advanced society is choosing to destroy itself (climate change) C C 0 118 Nov 7, 2022 08:52 PM
  UK’s extreme heatwave would have been ‘virtually impossible’ without climate change C C 0 120 Jul 29, 2022 07:33 PM
  Supreme Court cripples the US government's power to fight climate change C C 2 162 Jul 1, 2022 11:23 PM
Last Post: Syne
  La Nina keeps defying climate models + ‘Flash droughts’ are next big climate threat C C 0 97 May 30, 2022 03:18 PM
  Jordan Peterson, climate change, and the many definitions of a scientific model C C 0 91 May 3, 2022 05:54 PM
  Climate Change doomsayers creating mental health issues in kids C C 0 87 Apr 23, 2022 06:29 PM