Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Physicists still lost in math (its importance to technology)

C C Offline
https://backreaction.blogspot.com/2020/0...-math.html

EXCERPT (Sabine Hossenfelder): My book Lost in Math was published two years ago, and this week the paperback edition will appear. I want to use the occasion to tell you why I wrote the book and what has happened since. In Lost in Math, I explain why I have become very worried about what is happening in the foundations of physics. [...] We have not made progress for 40 years. The problems we are trying to solve today are the same problems we were trying to solve half a century ago.

This worries me [...] scientific progress will eventually be reduced to working out details of applications of what we already know. ... overall societal progress depends crucially on progress in the foundations of physics, more so than on any other discipline. I know that a lot of scientists in other disciplines find that tremendously offensive. But if they object all I have to do is remind them that without breakthroughs in the foundations of physics there would be no transistors, no microchips, no hard disks, no computers, no wifi, no internet. There would be no artificial intelligence, no lasers, no magnetic resonance imaging, no electron microscopes, no digital cameras. Computer science would not exist. Modern medicine would not exist either because the imaging methods and tools for data analysis would never have been invented. In brief, without the work that physicists did 100 years ago, modern civilization as we know it today would not exist.

I find it somewhat perplexing that so few people seem to realize how big of a problem it is that progress in the foundations of physics has stalled. Part of the reason, I think, is that physicists in the foundations themselves have been talking so much rubbish that people have come to believe foundational work is just philosophical speculation and has lost any relevance for technological progress.

Indeed, I am afraid, most of my colleagues now believe that themselves. [...] So, my book Lost in Math is an examination of what has gone wrong. As the subtitle says, the problem is that physicists rely on unscientific methods to develop new theories. These methods are variations of arguments from mathematical beauty, though many physicists are not aware that this is what they are doing... (MORE - details)

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/oZ7jwevZbb4

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Laser strikes against planes hit record high (technology abuse) C C 0 23 Mar 24, 2024 10:39 PM
Last Post: C C
  Research Biology or technology: Which moves more information per second? C C 0 48 Jan 21, 2024 11:27 PM
  Article What is meat? Chemistry and technology is changing how we think about meat. C C 2 91 May 19, 2023 06:57 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Smelling in VR environment possible with new gaming technology C C 0 291 Oct 13, 2022 06:25 PM
  Standard Critique of Technology is impotent - what's next for coping with technopoly? C C 1 126 Mar 23, 2021 08:12 PM
  Biggest technology failures of 2020 + The problem with tech predictions C C 1 159 Jan 5, 2021 02:40 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Tech search for space aliens comes up short + OTT: technology, censorship & future C C 0 184 Sep 9, 2020 06:30 PM
  ‘Deepfakes’ ranked as most serious AI technology crime threat C C 1 98 Aug 6, 2020 01:45 PM
Last Post: stryder
  Job-replacing technology's major role in income gap since late 1980s (study) C C 0 122 May 6, 2020 10:01 PM
  Sex in space: Could technology meet astronauts' intimate needs? C C 0 98 Mar 10, 2020 10:44 PM