Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

*The New York Times* is dying before our eyes

C C Offline
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com...-our-eyes/

INTRO (Greg Mayer): The New York Times is dying before our eyes, and for longtime subscribers, such as myself, it is a sad and painful experience. From Orwellian editorial practices to crusading for wokeism, the decline has been clear for some time now. I used to think that Jerry was reacting too strongly to some of the Times‘ missteps, but I’ve realized for a while that, sadly, he was prescient.

One area in which the Times has stumbled in a major way has been its coverage of woo, everything from “energy healing” to “non-invasive face lifts“. Its embrace of astrology has been especially dismaying– why on heaven’s earth would they do this? We’ve noted this before here at WEIT (for example here and here), and the woo just keeps coming. Here’s one of the latest:

The online sub-header is exquisite in its irony: Will Coronavirus Kill Astrology? The pandemic has affected all of us. Who saw it coming?

The answer, of course, is epidemiologists and virologists saw it coming, not astrologers. But through journalistic gymnastics that defy common sense, it turns out that, according to the article, astrology is doing a fine job. It’s like all those various millennial cults who have gathered for the second coming (or the rapture, or Armageddon, or whatever), and when it doesn’t happen, they double down, finding some excuse for why the prophecy really is correct– it’s not just that the believers are fools. It’s textbook motivated reasoning. I’m reminded of what a colleague said after 9-11: “If this doesn’t give religion a bad name, nothing will.” Nothing did, and I guess the same goes for astrology.

This next example of the Times‘ love affair with woo one goes beyond astrology to ghosts!! (MORE)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article 10 times the unexpected appearance of pseudoscience ruined entertainment C C 0 63 Jul 25, 2023 07:12 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Consequences of New York's pesticide ban + Anatomy of a scientific scandal C C 0 67 Jun 16, 2023 06:33 PM
  Peter Doshi + Hoax paper + Dog eyes + Aftermath of work built on an error C C 1 223 Jan 17, 2021 01:45 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Anti-vaxers make life tough for parents of young babies in New York C C 3 571 May 11, 2019 07:52 AM
  Mac & Cheese scare: The New York Times really stepped into it C C 5 810 Jul 16, 2017 10:49 AM