Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Preacher "infects" 40,000 in India + "Stuck in isolation with homophobic parents"

C C Offline
India 'super spreader' quarantines 40,000 people
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52061915

INTRO: Indian authorities in the northern state of Punjab have quarantined around 40,000 residents from 20 villages following a Covid-19 outbreak linked to just one man. The 70-year-old died of coronavirus - a fact found out only after his death.

The man, a preacher, had ignored advice to self quarantine after returning from a trip to Italy and Germany, officials told BBC Punjabi's Arvind Chhabra.

India has 640 confirmed cases of the virus, of which 30 are in Punjab. However, experts worry that the real number of positive cases could be far higher. India has one of the lowest testing rates in the world, although efforts are under way to ramp up capacity.

There are fears that an outbreak in the country of 1.3 billion people could result in a catastrophe. The man, identified as Baldev Singh, had visited a large gathering to celebrate the Sikh festival of Hola Mohalla shortly before he died. The six-day festival attracts around 10,000 people every day... (MORE)

'I'm stuck in isolation with my homophobic parents'
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52039832

INTRO: With the UK on coronavirus lockdown, some young people have been forced to isolate alongside parents who don't accept their sexuality. After the coronavirus outbreak suddenly ended a UK tour he was performing in, Sam, 23, a dancer, from Birmingham, says he had "no choice" but to move back to his "strict" Christian family home. "I saw the career I love disappear overnight, and now I'm stuck in isolation with homophobes."

Even though Sam chose to return home, he says he is "struggling" because he can't be himself. "My mum says that homosexuality is an evil disease and that the devil is making me gay. She loudly prays every day that I'll be delivered from sin and find a wife. "I genuinely have nowhere else to go during this mad time, so I'm just putting up with the abuse."

Sam came out to his mum and dad while at university, thinking he would never live with his parents again. "They didn't take it well at all and time hasn't changed things," he adds. He says when he started working in the theatre, his dad told him be "careful" of homosexual men.

Sam says he feels like the LGBT community has forgotten people like him. "I see on social media that people are so busy filming home workouts, and holding online parties, that they don't realise there are people like me struggling to stay alive right now. Not because of the coronavirus, but because of their sexuality." (MORE)

On the flip side, he did choose to tell them when he actually hadn't actually achieved financial independence yet (and obviously still hasn't). If you're iGen, the future is no done deal. Just because you're currently out of the house doesn't mean you've forever escaped having to live with your parents.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Why are most of us stuck with a belief in the soul? C C 2 87 Apr 1, 2023 08:29 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  What Britain can teach India about religion and politics C C 0 96 Aug 9, 2022 09:51 PM
Last Post: C C
  NASA hires religious experts, for ETs + India's crackdown on religious minorities C C 4 138 Jan 1, 2022 01:19 AM
Last Post: stryder
  Vaxx hesitancy decline + Stabbed preacher update + Ban harmed Muslim American health C C 0 96 Jul 30, 2021 07:36 PM
  How a large cat deity helps people to share space with leopards in India C C 0 75 Jul 9, 2021 05:20 PM
  Dem preacher scolds Hispanics for Church of Woke heresy C C 1 146 Nov 27, 2020 03:19 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Christian genocide developing in Nigeria? + India's goddesses of contagion deployed C C 0 128 Jun 15, 2020 05:07 PM
  Muslim pop passes 3mil mark (UK) + Sikh woman helps bushfire victims + Hate preacher C C 5 511 Jan 7, 2020 06:52 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Cops fake hooked nose + India's Muslim omit + Trump scolds Jews + Rohingya genocide C C 0 242 Dec 12, 2019 01:11 AM
  UK pagan boom + School cancels Darwin play after Christian parents complain C C 8 1,850 Feb 12, 2019 06:11 PM
Last Post: Syne