Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Survival Research Laboratories

Yazata Offline
I still remember the night back in the late 1980's, when I was at the corner of 16th and Valencia in San Francisco (more than a little drunk), and this flatbed truck pulls up with what appeared to be a WWII V1 buzz bomb jet engine on it. And the damn thing lit up and emitted this horrendous sound and a huge tongue of flame. I thought - 'Well, damn, you don't see that every day!' 

Turned out that it was Mark Pauline and his Survival Research Laboratories, fracturing a few more fire, health and safety laws. I think that one was advertising his 'Illusions of Shameless Abundance' show held under an overpass in San Francisco in 1989. They were all kind of underground word-of-mouth deals.

Here's the 'Doom' Show, Pier 70 San Francisco 1994. A dystopian vision of the future. This one's my favorite, I think,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeNdH2ByfCM

He 'performed' (or his robots did) at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's Ground Breaking Show (until the police and fire departments busted him). Despite its recognition in the art world, SRL is now banned from San Francisco. Not sure how active it is any more.

Art on the edge.
Secular Sanity Offline
(Jul 9, 2020 06:38 AM)Yazata Wrote: I still remember the night back in the late 1980's, when I was at the corner of 16th and Valencia in San Francisco (more than a little drunk), and this flatbed truck pulls up with what appeared to be a WWII V1 buzz bomb jet engine on it. And the damn thing lit up and emitted this horrendous sound and a huge tongue of flame. I thought - 'Well, damn, you don't see that every day!' 

Turned out that it was Mark Pauline and his Survival Research Laboratories, fracturing a few more fire, health and safety laws. I think that one was advertising his 'Illusions of Shameless Abundance' show held under an overpass in San Francisco in 1989. They were all kind of underground word-of-mouth deals.

Here's the 'Doom' Show, Pier 70 San Francisco 1994. A dystopian vision of the future. This one's my favorite, I think,

He 'performed' (or his robots did) at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's Ground Breaking Show (until the police and fire departments busted him). Despite its recognition in the art world, SRL is now banned from San Francisco. Not sure how active it is any more.

Art on the edge.

I’ve never heard of him before. Yep, different, that’s for sure. The lab is in Petaluma. I’m always down there. I wonder if they have some sort of art gallery anywhere.
stryder Offline
(Jul 9, 2020 06:38 AM)Yazata Wrote: I still remember the night back in the late 1980's, when I was at the corner of 16th and Valencia in San Francisco (more than a little drunk), and this flatbed truck pulls up with what appeared to be a WWII V1 buzz bomb jet engine on it. And the damn thing lit up and emitted this horrendous sound and a huge tongue of flame. I thought - 'Well, damn, you don't see that every day!' 

Art on the edge.

Kind of reminds me of working with my father in his Fabrications yard (Welders arching without screens or masks, goggles left near grinders filled with metal flecks, gloves that had more than a hole or finger missing, overalls so coated in grease and grime that one errant spark was enough to set ablaze). While health and safety is a must in ever legislative nightmare, it's definitely something that becomes unhinged in any dystopic wasteland (or Fab yard) Further to that my father was/is one of those that if you give him a hand lifting something, he'll push it when and where he wants without warning you (So when you lose grip and it drops on his big toe, guess who gets the blame.)
confused2 Offline
The OP kind'a taps into the same vein as watching BFR testing but (maybe) without the same positive vibe. In the UK we had a TV program called 'Robot Wars' - of about 20 very expensive robots one would survive to win a small prize. If I'd had the time, the money and a workshop I'd have have gone in for it.