Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Microaggressions explained with movie clips

Syne Offline
No, it's time to grow thicker skin again and stand up for yourself. It's not time to demand others coddle your feeble feelings. Learn to adult.
Magical Realist Online
(Feb 21, 2020 02:47 AM)Syne Wrote: No, it's time to grow thicker skin again and stand up for yourself. It's not time to demand others coddle your feeble feelings. Learn to adult.

No better way to stand up for yourself and for others than by speaking up when we see this sort of thing happening.
Syne Offline
And if you think anyone should care that you're emotionally fragile and oversensitive, you're probably in for a rude awakening....or should I say awokening?
Magical Realist Online
(Feb 21, 2020 03:58 AM)Syne Wrote: And if you think anyone should care that you're emotionally fragile and oversensitive, you're probably in for a rude awakening....or should I say awokening?

Noone mistakes someone who stands up for themselves and for others for being emotionally fragile and oversensitive. In fact it's the precise opposite. It's all about respect and self-respect. It's the ones who keep quiet and laugh along with the microaggressor that are the cowards.
Syne Offline
When it's about things others don't even intend to be insulting or offensive, it is being emotionally fragile and oversensitive. It's looking for ways to be offended, as an excuse for their unhappiness with their life. "laugh along with" unintended insults? That doesn't even make sense. Only intended insults usually draw laughter, and those are just aggression, not microaggression. It's called "micro" because the offense is so small that most people would never notice it, because it might even be wholly imagined.
Magical Realist Online
Microaggressions are always obvious once a response to them is made. Hence the courage of someone to stand up to them and call them out when they're made. If you're too craven to do that then fine, don't do it. But don't presume to tell others it's wrong to stand up for themselves or others when they are being insulted. Again, it's all about respect and self-respect.
Leigha Offline
I dunno, I can see workplace microaggression as being a confidence and team building killer, if left unchecked. A culture of microaggressive behaviors will destroy trust, communication and ultimately, will affect performance. At the same time, I wouldn't want to be a part of a workplace culture where everyone's walking on egg shells, either.
Syne Offline
The only thing obvious about the responses to microaggressions are their unreasoning nature. By all means, if you're intentionally insulted, stand up for yourself. But again, they are called "micro" expressly because it is unclear that any insult taken was intended. And whining about something no one intended is oversensitive, reactionary, and often unhinged. They are just as readily imagined as real, and with no objective way to tell the difference. That makes reactions to them no better than the mentally unstable raving at unseen antagonists.

But if the shoe fits...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article America’s shoplifting problem, explained by retail workers and thieves C C 0 54 Nov 7, 2023 11:34 PM
Last Post: C C