Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quantum dot televisions unveiled

C C Offline
http://phys.org/news/2015-04-quantum-dot...china.html

EXCERPT: At this month's China Information Technology Expo (CITE) event, a headline-maker was the launch of quantum dot televisions, by QD Vision and Konka, the consumer electronics company. [...] Konka picked CITE as the launch venue for its quantum dot TVs, which are based on QD Vision's Color IQ optics. [...] The new TV models are high-end with features that include larger size, higher resolution, smart functionality, a wide color gamut, and very slim design. The new models will be available at Chinese retailers later this year. QD Vision, which is headquartered in Lexington, Massachusetts, describes itself as a nanomaterials product company with advanced display and lighting solutions. [...] Its Color IQ product line harnesses the light-emitting properties of the class of nanomaterials called quantum dots. [...] As for quantum dot technology, Dr. Jennifer Colegrove, CEO and principal analyst at Touch Display Research, said the technology was "one of the biggest breakthroughs for LCD developments in recent years. We are forecasting that, by 2025, 60 percent of TVs will feature quantum dots."...
Mr Doodlebug Offline
I will buy one those new TVs eventually, but my Cathode Ray machine refuses to break down.
C C Offline
(Apr 20, 2015 01:22 AM)Mr Doodlebug Wrote: I will buy one those new TVs eventually, but my Cathode Ray machine refuses to break down.

Yah, we've still got one of those endangered species in the garage. A cheapo sold at Walmart (Asda in the UK) back during the 80s-90s ["Orion"] that has long outlived all the big name-brands. Not surprising therefore that the lone, surviving VCR that still works unstoppably is also an Orion. Apparently somebody forgot to inform Hungary / Singapore electronics about planned obsolescence.
Mr Doodlebug Offline
Mine is a silver Sony Flatscreen. Must weigh a hundredweight.
The picture is marvellous, and I don't need the space for anything else.
It won't stop working, and it seems ungrateful to scrap it for a younger model.
What would be the point of replacing it?

There's exactly the same model selling on ebay at 99p at the moment. Bargain.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Wega-28-T...1c51687877

You still use a VCR?
I'm impressed.
stryder Offline
(Apr 20, 2015 01:22 AM)Mr Doodlebug Wrote: I will buy one those new TVs eventually, but my Cathode Ray machine refuses to break down.

Perhaps it's the nostalgia of the effluence glow as it slowly hypnotises a family into watching a soap opera unfold. I was often warned that sitting too close would result in me having "square eyes". I was never too sure if that meant ending up having to wear glasses or some weird depiction of mesmerising spiral patterns in actual square eye as what semblance of consciousness is vacated and replaced with a TV Zombie.

(Note: Interesting idea for the explanation of how zombies are formed, "watching TV".)

Your CRT will probably keep working for years, at least until it starts being shut down with that long glowing white spot that slowly demises. That's the true signal that it's about to give up the ghost.
Mr Doodlebug Offline
When I was a child, I found that by turning the TV on and off every second or so for about five minutes,
I could make a bright white spot appear in the centre of the screen, and it lasted ages.
Adults didn't seem to appreciate it.

We had a thing then called TV repair men.
If your TV went wrong, you didn't throw it away, you got it what we called "repaired"
The worst thing to go was the "Tube".
Getting it replaced could cost a weeks wages.

My Cathode Ray Machine is ten years old now.
When it does break down, I will replace it with a device with twice the screen size and a quarter of the weight.
C C Offline
(Apr 20, 2015 11:04 AM)Mr Doodlebug Wrote: You still use a VCR? I'm impressed.

Never had a DVD recorder last more than 3 years and harddrive devices are only a year or two better. More recent VCRs from the prior decade would go haywire after only a month from bad dew sensors or something else that causes the cassette to perpetually eject and chew the tape when it doesn't. So it just makes sense to keep the most reliable recorder from the old days around as long as it refuses to die.

The CRT tv in the garage is confined to only receiving free broadcast signals, too, so it's more convenient to have that VCR connected to its digital to analog conversion box since the outputted picture is reduced to standard definition anyway. Hubby's really the only one who watches that setup when he's tinkering around with whatever contraption. Back in the 20th century, I guess those places co-served as a kind of third class man-cave until the proper ones came along or "rec-rooms" and basements inherited the new title. He's also got a horde of ancient video tapes that have somehow escaped mold buildup in them, that he plays on that pension-drawing VCR.
Mr Doodlebug Offline
I once had a VCR that liked to chew tapes from time to time.
So I sometimes had to cut out long stretches of tape from a rented tape and rejoin it with sellotape.
I got quite good at it.
I wonder what subsequent borrowers thought when they were watching the film and it jumped a minute.

I've been checking my TV on ebay, and a couple of the same model have sold for 99p.
One person got £15.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...ld=1&rt=nc
C C Offline
(Apr 22, 2015 12:49 PM)Mr Doodlebug Wrote: Now a Sony TV similar to mine has sold for 1p! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Trinitron...51cb9e1b98

Seems insane at first glance for them to be going at those prices, since it at least has a widescreen, hi-def CRT (not angle and distance dependent for a good picture like LED backlit LCD screens). But if it's circa a decade old -- and bulky and heavy, then I guess that would turn-off people who have been renormalizing to other alternatives over a couple of decades, and expect any electronic device beyond five years to be close to going belly-up these days. Still, a bit outrageous to essentially have to resort to giving them away / get rid of them aside from shipping, etc costs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge step forward in quantum computing was just announced: 1st-ever quantum circuit C C 1 64 Jun 24, 2022 06:05 AM
Last Post: Kornee
  Quantum dot color process to revolutionize HD TV's Magical Realist 1 441 Feb 1, 2018 01:48 AM
Last Post: C C