Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Being and drunkenness: how to party like an existentialist

C C Offline
https://aeon.co/ideas/being-and-drunkenn...entialistI

INTRO: Existentialism has a reputation for being angst-ridden and gloomy mostly because of its emphasis on pondering the meaninglessness of existence, but two of the best-known existentialists knew how to have fun in the face of absurdity. Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre spent a lot of time partying: talking, drinking, dancing, laughing, loving and listening to music with friends, and this was an aspect of their philosophical stance on life. They weren’t just philosophers who happened to enjoy parties, either – the parties were an expression of their philosophy of seizing life, and for them there were authentic and inauthentic ways to do this.

For de Beauvoir in particular, philosophy was to be lived vivaciously, and partying was bound up with her urge to live fully and freely, not to hold herself back from all that life had to offer. She wrote that sometimes she does ‘everything a little too crazily … But that is my way. I have rather not to do the things at all as doing them mildly.’

Sartre loved the imaginative playfulness that alcohol facilitated: ‘I liked having confused, vaguely questioning ideas that then fell apart.’ Too much seriousness hardens the world, pinning it down with rules, they felt, suffocating freedom and creativity. Taking parties too seriously dissipates their effervescence. Seriousness flattens them into institutions, hollow shams of gratuitously flaunted wealth and materialism, pathetic pleas for acknowledgement through the gazes of others, or hedonistic indulgences in sordid ephemeral pleasures that serve only to distract participants from their stagnating lives. A serious party neglects the underlying virtues of playfulness and generosity that make a party authentic. De Beauvoir tried smoking joints but, no matter how hard she inhaled, she remained firmly planted to the ground. She and Sartre self-medicated with amphetamines to remedy hangovers, heartbreaks and writers’ blocks. Sartre tripped on psychedelics for academic purposes: he took mescaline to inform his research on hallucinations. But alcohol would always be their drug of choice for partying.

A party isn’t a party without others, of course, and, although Sartre is renowned for his line ‘Hell is – other people!’ in No Exit (1944), that was far from the whole story for him: both he and de Beauvoir discovered themselves in their relations with other people. ‘In songs, laughter, dances, eroticism, and drunkenness,’ de Beauvoir writes in The Ethics of Ambiguity (1947), ‘one seeks both an exaltation of the moment and a complicity with other men.’ For her, complicity and reciprocity are the foundation of ethical relationships because other people provide the context of our lives. And because our world is infused with the meanings that other people are giving it, our existence can be revealed only in communication with them.

Parties can cultivate our connections to others, bring meaning to one another’s lives, and reveal the world with them. They can also confirm one another’s existences, serving as a reminder to friends that they matter, and that one matters to one’s friends. Moreover, the warmth and laughter that authentic partying sparks can help people cope with the chaos of life... (MORE)
Magical Realist Offline
"I drink, therefore I am."

No more. I gave up drinking 2 weeks ago. I feel great!
C C Offline
(Aug 11, 2019 07:25 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: "I drink, therefore I am."

No more. I gave up drinking 2 weeks ago. I feel great!

There's always the post-apocalypse, when it might come in handy. Of course, it's a shame that a sterile source like the alcoholic beverage dehydrates the body. The homeless wino or town drunk is stereotypically depicted as managing to survive on either fermented wine or distilled booze for weeks or months on end, but that's surely exaggerated. The "fresh" water from wells, cisterns, reservoirs, streams, puddles and rain will ironically become contaminated Death -- boiling might not even purge whatever scourge is in it (depending).

There's all that plastic bottled stuff, of course, but it's got the chemical compounds eroding into it after the expiration dates. Plus, you know all the gun-toting, bands of survivalists, scavengers, and urban hillbillies will raid the abandoned retail stores and hoard it up in their MAGA dens, anyway. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Being in itself" vs "being for itself"..(Sartre) Magical Realist 0 80 Sep 7, 2023 07:43 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  "Being in itself" vs "being for itself"..(Sartre) Magical Realist 0 66 Sep 7, 2023 07:40 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist