Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is midnight, today or tomorrow?

Leigha Offline
I noticed this question on sciforums earlier today, and found it curious. If midnight is considered ''middle of the night,'' wouldn't it be considered, ''today?'' Does tomorrow begin at 12:00:01 AM, then? I've always assumed so, but then some answered that midnight is tomorrow, in actuality. I think midnight is still today, and ''tomorrow'' starts at just one second past midnight. What do you think?

This would really screw up the Cinderella tale. Big Grin
Syne Offline
Midnight is the next day. It's the moment when any digital calendar changes to the next date.

Magic seems to care more about rhyming than the date.
Leigha Offline
I've never noticed, the calendar date changes at precisely midnight.
stryder Offline
In regards to the forum software and computers, 12pm is 00:00 (24hr clock is used by default) so midnight is definitely the next day (as that's when the counter resets)

Time itself is an number of asynchronous instances of potentially infinite re-occurance. When it hits 12pm it's only 12pm for that 1 second (or whatever the smallest measurement is being used) after that point any extra time is additive to a past time occurance. Namely 12:01pm was 12pm and 1 minute, our timing measurements never measure "NOW" they measure how many increments of "THEN" have passed leading to what is presumed to be the present/future time.
Leigha Offline
(Jan 21, 2019 06:28 AM)stryder Wrote: In regards to the forum software and computers, 12pm is 00:00 (24hr clock is used by default) so midnight is definitely the next day (as that's when the counter resets)  

Time itself is an number of asynchronous instances of potentially infinite re-occurance.  When it hits 12pm it's only 12pm for that 1 second (or whatever the smallest measurement is being used) after that point any extra time is additive to a past time occurance.  Namely 12:01pm was 12pm and 1 minute, our timing measurements never measure "NOW" they measure how many increments of "THEN" have passed leading to what is presumed to be the present/future time.

So, midnight begins the next 24 hour cycle of the new day?

Why am I so unaware?  Blush

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Today I Found Out… Secular Sanity 190 24,785 Oct 3, 2023 11:36 PM
Last Post: Secular Sanity
  Tomorrow is Pi-Day 3/14 Yazata 1 391 Mar 13, 2019 10:41 PM
Last Post: Syne
  One thing that made me happy today. confused2 11 2,709 Jun 17, 2018 04:43 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Camille Paglia assesses the parlous state of today’s feminism (interview) C C 0 401 Dec 17, 2015 08:05 PM
Last Post: C C
  Breaking news: Hell froze over today Magical Realist 0 973 Mar 10, 2015 07:39 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist