Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Attack of the Killer Plant!

Yazata Online
Giant Hogweed. It's an invasive species, kind of a weed that's prevalent all over Europe and in parts of North America too. There are lots of invasive weeds, but what makes this one unusual is that if its sap and fluids get on your skin, a photo-reaction with sunlight can result in severe chemical burns.

The story below is about a Virginia teenager who was working a landscaping job. He didn't know about this particular kind of plant and when he cut it down it hit his face. Then he carried it off under his arm, thinking nothing of it. Later his skin started to hurt so he took a shower and his skin started to come off (never a good thing). His mother (a nurse) recognized the cause and drove him to the Virginia Commonwealth University hospital. He was in the ICU for several days with second and third degree chemical burns and is now slowly recovering at home.

https://people.com/human-interest/alex-c...-virginia/

Some photos from a NY State website showing burns on other people:

[Image: ghburn567.jpg]
[Image: ghburn567.jpg]

Ostronomos Offline
Plants are a double edged sword. They can be used for medicinal purposes or they can be deadly.
C C Offline
I vaguely recall some classic '50s film (though maybe not popular with the critics) which partly involved a woody plant that had blistering skin irritants and other toxic properties. The story was set in the swamps or some part of the Deep South, which causes me to feel that it might have been the manchineel tree.

~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge Riot at i-Phone Plant in China Yazata 2 131 Nov 26, 2022 05:44 AM
Last Post: C C
  Teen sentenced to prison for plotting terror attack in Minecraft C C 0 56 Feb 11, 2022 10:39 PM
Last Post: C C
  Cell-Phone Zombies start to Attack Humans Yazata 4 1,061 Aug 1, 2018 07:54 PM
Last Post: Yazata