Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quick (Battle) Field Guide to the New Culture Wars (ideological sports)

C C Offline
https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2018/03/06/a-...ture-wars/

EXCERPT: I am basically a pacifist, inclined to what in India is sometimes derisively referred to as Gandhigiri (loosely “LARPing Gandhi”). If I don’t check the tendency, I naturally retreat from, and go into denial about, unpleasant and violent realities. But it’s time to admit it: the United States is in the middle of the worst culture wars I’ve seen in my life, either in my 20 years in the US, or in the previous 20 years in India (which in the 90s saw equally ferocious, but less digitally mediated, culture wars). And for once, you can’t blame Trump. He’s more consequence than cause.

To endure through a war without either retreating from the fray, or developing crippling PTSD from losing too many poorly picked battles, you need a good map of the battlefield, a sense of the movements of various combatant groups, their objectives, tactics and strategies, awareness of recent battles and their outcomes, current live battles, and emerging flashpoints. Here’s my first draft attempt.

I’ve used the popular politics 2×2 meme (left versus right, authoritarian versus libertarian) as a basic canvas for this map. Let’s start with the numbered key to the conflicts before launching into some commentary....

MORE: https://www.ribbonfarm.com/2018/03/06/a-...ture-wars/
Syne Offline
There is no such thing as a mobilized cultural "libertarian left". The culturally mobile libertarian center is dominated by the small-government right. Nor is identitarianism endemic to politics across the board.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Explaining sports fandom (philosophy of sports) C C 0 5 Apr 12, 2024 04:22 PM
Last Post: C C
  Superbowl LVIII thread (general madness, pre-game outrages, on field heroics, etc) C C 5 202 Feb 12, 2024 11:57 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  New AI technology could change game prep for Super Bowl teams (sports) C C 0 34 Feb 10, 2023 09:21 PM
  Richard Branson won space tourism battle, but his company lost the war (space games) C C 1 79 Jul 13, 2022 05:21 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn
  A new athlete wellness trend just dropped (sports) C C 0 55 Jul 22, 2021 12:00 AM
  GOAT expected to be grazing 10th time on field of a Super Bowl (sightings) C C 0 118 Jan 25, 2021 03:57 AM
  Sportman's guide to hunting free online movies & short films C C 0 374 Dec 22, 2018 10:04 PM
  A Beginner's Guide To Companion Planting (hobbies, gardening) C C 0 357 Jun 5, 2018 03:57 PM
  Garden tips for perennial plants + What to do in April (planting guide) C C 0 371 Apr 6, 2017 06:59 PM
  Sports culture binds us to gender binaries C C 0 283 Mar 4, 2017 08:32 PM