Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Abusive style: Misdeeds of subsidized housing agents, landlords, & property managers

C C Offline
A woman's choice - sexual favours or lose her home
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42404270

EXCERPT: Across the US, sexual harassment at the hands of landlords, property managers and others in the housing industry can drive poor women and their children into homelessness. It is a problem badly understood and virtually unstudied. ... Sellers remembers the first time the agency's inspector, a former North Carolina state police officer named Eric Pender, came to the property with a clipboard in hand. As she continued to clean, she says the conversation quickly turned from the house to Sellers' personal life. "'Where's your boyfriend?' 'Why you don't have a man here cleaning?'" Sellers says he asked her. "And I'm like, 'I don't have time for a man, I just came out of prison, I'm trying to get my life right.'" Undeterred, Sellers says Pender asked her if she...

- - -

Oklahoma landlord to pay $800,000 to resolve sexual harassment complaints
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-landlord-to-p...le/5575485

EXCERPT: A landlord has agreed to pay $800,000 to settle federal lawsuits accusing him of sexually harassing black female tenants for years. Ray Pelfrey, who is white, has more than 100 properties in the Oklahoma City area. He was accused in two lawsuits of routinely asking his tenants for sex as a way to pay off rent and evicting those who refused his advances....

- - -

Harassed at Home -- by Your Landlord (timeless problem, 2007)
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2932852

EXCERPT: For four years Mary lived in fear of her landlord, describing herself as a prisoner in her own home. She went out of her way to avoid him, turning off the lights and TV in her apartment and pretending not to be home every time her doorbell rang, fearing it was him. At first, she said, he was just "creepy." He sometimes would force his way into her room and poke around, or buzz her apartment from outside to see whether she was home, even though he had keys to the building. Mary, who asked that her real name not be used, told ABCNEWS.com that her situation took a turn for the worse in 2005, when she was late with her rent. One night her landlord, Robert Berezin, allegedly made his way into her Brooklyn, N.Y., apartment, pushed her against the door, groped her and forced his tongue into her mouth. When he was leaving, she said, he suggested she could provide sexual favors in lieu of rent....

- - -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Homophobic attacks in UK spur new wave of LGBTQ+ only housing (fashion or need?) C C 6 216 Jan 7, 2024 05:09 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Noam Chomsky style + The Shat's style C C 0 547 Apr 5, 2017 04:11 PM
Last Post: C C
  Lark style versus Owl style: Sex, drugs, late nights, and psychopaths C C 0 796 Jul 21, 2016 05:34 AM
Last Post: C C
  Zombie style: Property dualism (Sean Carroll) C C 1 705 Jun 22, 2016 04:41 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist