Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Have your world views been based on emotions or deep analysis and reason?

Leigha Offline
Time for some self inventory. Most likely, we all succumb to viewpoints based on emotion now and again, but the question is designed to get you to think of how you form opinions and make decisions, primarily. Do you employ reason or do you tend to lean on emotion?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Nov 27, 2017 10:22 PM)Leigha Wrote: Time for some self inventory. Most likely, we all succumb to viewpoints based on emotion now and again, but the question is designed to get you to think of how you form opinions and make decisions, primarily. Do you employ reason or do you tend to lean on emotion?

I'm a skeptic. David Hume (who held that passion rather than reason governs human behavior) is my hero. Emotion has nothing to do with my viewpoint unless incredulous counts. Experience(s) influence my decision making above all else. I'm pretty much unwilling to or simply just can't believe something without hard evidence.
Syne Offline
Is anyone likely to admit, even just to themselves, that their views are largely emotional? Our ability to deceive is no greater than when we deceive ourselves.

Perhaps a more telling question would be, how do you justify your world views. That would more readily demonstrate the rational behind them, without engaging a person's self-reporting bias.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Nov 27, 2017 11:39 PM)Syne Wrote: Is anyone likely to admit, even just to themselves, that their views are largely emotional? Our ability to deceive is no greater than when we deceive ourselves.

Perhaps a more telling question would be, how do you justify your world views. That would more readily demonstrate the rational behind them, without engaging a person's self-reporting bias.

You see, the easiest way to know who's skeptical is to announce your skepticism. Rolleyes
Syne Offline
(Nov 28, 2017 12:03 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: You see, the easiest way to know who's skeptical is to announce your skepticism. Rolleyes

LOL! That was only meant as a response to the OP, but reading it again, I can see how it spoke to your post as well. Wink
Secular Sanity Offline
(Nov 27, 2017 10:38 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I'm a skeptic. David Hume (who held that passion rather than reason governs human behavior) is my hero. Emotion has nothing to do with my viewpoint unless incredulous counts. Experience(s) influence my decision making above all else. I'm pretty much unwilling to or simply just can't believe something without hard evidence.

‘Reason is, and only ought to be, the slave of the passions.’ — David Hume

He thought that reason itself would lack all motivation, all impulse or drive to act, or even to reason.

Is he your hero because he understood that emotions were necessary?
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Nov 28, 2017 12:41 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote:
(Nov 27, 2017 10:38 PM)Zinjanthropos Wrote: I'm a skeptic. David Hume (who held that passion rather than reason governs human behavior) is my hero. Emotion has nothing to do with my viewpoint unless incredulous counts. Experience(s) influence my decision making above all else. I'm pretty much unwilling to or simply just can't believe something without hard evidence.

He thought that reason itself would lack all motivation, all impulse or drive to act, or even to reason.

Philosophy not my thing but I like Hume because of his skepticism. I suppose emotion is everywhere and even if you try to repress it, you end up expressing it.
Syne Offline
The motivation for reason is not its conclusions.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Nov 27, 2017 10:22 PM)Leigha Wrote: Time for some self inventory. Most likely, we all succumb to viewpoints based on emotion now and again, but the question is designed to get you to think of how you form opinions and make decisions, primarily. Do you employ reason or do you tend to lean on emotion?

were i to lean on emotion i should imagine i would fall over.
were i to lean on logic i should imagine i would be called unreasonable.
Falling for unreasonable emotions sometimes is the expectation.

(Nov 28, 2017 01:18 AM)Zinjanthropos Wrote:
(Nov 28, 2017 12:41 AM)Secular Sanity Wrote:

Philosophy not my thing but I like Hume because of his skepticism. I suppose emotion is everywhere and even if you try to repress it, you end up expressing it.

Quote:and even if you try to repress it, you end up expressing it.

indeed.
can one not postualte the very contemplation of an emotion is by its very nature AN emotion ...
thus to repress is to expressly express...
thus premise to happenstance upon a passing ponder... philisophy is the science of emotion, i should wonder.
Zinjanthropos Offline
(Nov 28, 2017 01:20 AM)Syne Wrote: The motivation for reason is not its conclusions.

Man, a lot of excitement re conclusions around here lately. 

Philosophy taking over Wink. Science must be boring as hell.....emotional conclusions but I doubt their truthfulness  Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In the quantum world, the future causes the past (rival ontological views) C C 5 222 Feb 23, 2024 02:46 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Article Faith-based beliefs are inescapable in science (philosophy of science) C C 3 120 Jul 1, 2023 12:44 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  AI succeeds without need of understanding, theory, causation, views about being, etc C C 0 285 Apr 25, 2020 04:18 PM
Last Post: C C
  The problem with the way scientists study reason (philosophy/methods of science) C C 0 259 Mar 15, 2020 07:24 PM
  Consolation philosophy & the struggle of reason in Africa C C 2 636 Oct 4, 2018 05:05 AM
Last Post: Yazata
  The return of Aristotelian views in philosophy & philosophy of science: Goodbye Hume? C C 1 668 Aug 17, 2018 02:01 PM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Do religious views inform philosophical views? and vice versa? C C 0 564 Apr 3, 2018 02:02 AM
  Emotions & emergence: The critical-realist alternative + What is critical realism? C C 7 1,871 Aug 4, 2017 10:55 PM
Last Post: Carol
  Let's call philosophy what it really is + Political legitimacy + P Reason ... Actions C C 2 861 May 22, 2016 06:32 PM
  Busy, distracted, inattentive? All have been since at least 1710 + Putnam's Progress C C 0 509 Apr 10, 2016 06:13 PM