Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does self-marriage challenge romantic ideals or just cave to them? (fads)

C C Offline
https://aeon.co/essays/does-self-marriag...ve-to-them

EXCERPT: [...] ‘Sologamy’ is the latest relationship trend not only in Europe and the United States but also Japan. A budding industry of self-marriages promises to make us happier by celebrating commitment to the only person in this world truly worthy of a relationship investment: our precious self. A variety of coaches worldwide offer self-marriage courses, including guidance through preparatory steps (such as writing love poems and composing vows) and orchestration of the ceremony itself.

While self-marriage has no legal power (you can’t normally do it in a town hall, at least not yet), it is open to anyone regardless of age and gender. I wasn’t – and am not – single, but that doesn’t disqualify me; my coach cheerfully confirmed that anybody, regardless of their situation, was welcome to learn how to ‘cherish’ and ‘love’ themselves. Still, most women (and it is almost always women) whose stories I read in blogs, Facebook pages and media reports were driven into self-marriage by the desire to emancipate themselves from the stigma attached to singledom and by the prospect of self-discovery. Some hoped that self-marriage would ‘heal them from a chain of painful break-ups’; others opted for it as a means of proving the worth of their lifestyles – and all of them were willing to learn how to love themselves ‘unconditionally’. Welcome to the 21st century, where we are no longer only ‘bowling alone’, to use the expression coined back in 1995 by the American sociologist Robert Putnam – we are marrying alone, too. So is this a sign of a radical new kind of independence, or a depressing totem to our self-absorption?

MORE: https://aeon.co/essays/does-self-marriag...ve-to-them

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How your romantic attachment style affects your finances, well-being C C 0 159 Feb 26, 2020 11:01 PM
Last Post: C C
  Sci-fi readers make good romantic partners? + Comeback of brainy books (trends) C C 0 249 Aug 3, 2018 03:24 AM
Last Post: C C