Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What the Rich Won’t Tell You

C C Offline
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opini...l-you.html

“There’s nobody who knows how much we spend. You’re the only person I ever said those numbers to out loud.”

EXCERPTS: [...] The ways these wealthy New Yorkers identify and avoid stigma matter not because we should feel sorry for uncomfortable rich people, but because they tell us something about how economic inequality is hidden, justified and maintained in American life. Keeping silent about social class, a norm that goes far beyond the affluent, can make Americans feel that class doesn’t, or shouldn’t, matter. And judging wealthy people on the basis of their individual behaviors — do they work hard enough, do they consume reasonably enough, do they give back enough — distracts us from other kinds of questions about the morality of vastly unequal distributions of wealth.

[...] Then she made a confession: She took the price tags off her clothes so that her nanny would not see them. “I take the label off our six-dollar bread,” she said. She did this, she explained, because she was uncomfortable with the inequality between herself and her nanny, a Latina immigrant. She had a household income of $250,000 and inherited wealth of several million dollars. Relative to the nanny, she told me, “The choices that I have are obscene. Six-dollar bread is obscene.”

An interior designer I spoke with told me his wealthy clients also hid prices, saying that expensive furniture and other items arrive at their houses “with big price tags on them” that “have to be removed, or Sharpied over, so the housekeepers and staff don’t see them.”

These people agreed to meet with me as part of research I conducted on affluent and wealthy people’s consumption. I interviewed 50 parents with children at home, including 18 stay-at-home mothers. Highly educated, they worked or had worked in finance and related industries, or had inherited assets in the millions of dollars. Nearly all were in the top 1 percent or 2 percent in terms of income or wealth or both. They came from a variety of economic backgrounds, and about 80 percent were white. Reflecting their concern with anonymity and my research protocol, I am using pseudonyms throughout this article....

MORE: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opini...l-you.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research Are rich people really less ethical? (sci does critique itself, but it takes time) C C 0 68 Mar 15, 2023 07:37 PM
Last Post: C C
  Rich people + People are less outraged by gender discrimination caused by algorithms C C 0 74 Jun 28, 2022 07:06 PM
  Hollywood Apocalypse: The rich and famous are fleeing in droves C C 0 118 Aug 17, 2020 12:46 AM
  AI ethics: Maybe robots won’t kill us if they read ‘good’ books C C 0 442 Feb 16, 2016 07:00 PM
  What Science Can't Tell Us C C 0 507 Feb 21, 2015 06:30 AM