Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pigliucci meets scientism 'in the flesh': Neither pejorative nor strawman

C C Offline
Is science all you need? Massimo Pigliucci on a position that might be best forgotten - review of The Atheist’s Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life Without Illusions ... by Alex Rosenberg

(PDF) http://philpapers.org/archive/PIGISA.1.pdf

EXCERPT: “Scientism”, usually, is an insult. It is used in philosophy to connote an attitude of excessive infatuation with science, which leads one to discard other branches of knowledge or human experience and to care only about issues that are amenable to the scientific approach. As a former scientist and now philosopher, I have chastised some of my colleagues for their scientistic attitude, only to be told that “scientism” is simply a label that one attaches to positions one does not like. Just like using “pseudoscience” to dismiss, say, the paranormal; or “crook” to shrug off a politician.

I am therefore glad that Alex Rosenberg has written an entire book to make the case for scientism – the idea, he says, that “the methods of science are the only reliable ways to secure knowledge of anything” – as the only rational ideology one could possibly hold in the face of what science tells us about the way the world is. Thanks to him, I can no longer be accused of fighting a straw man. Rosenberg’s attempt is valiant and will give people much to think about. Except, of course, that according to Rosenberg we cannot really think such things because scientism “says” that chunks of matter cannot possibly produce thoughts about anything at all, on penalty of violating physicalism.

For Rosenberg there are simple, science-driven answers to all of life’s persistent questions, and he gives the short version right at the beginning of his book: Is there a God? No. What is the nature of reality? Whatever physics says it is. What is the meaning of life? Nope. Why am I here? Dumb luck. Is there free will? Not a chance. What is love? The solution to a strategic interaction problem. Does morality exist? No. And so on. In some cases I agree with Rosenberg’s answers, though I think his reasoning relies far too much on what after all are science’s provisional findings (I mean, until 15 years ago we thought the universe was slowing down; turns out it’s accelerating, maybe), while in other cases I think he is either wrong or at least does not come close to providing a satisfactory argument for his positions. Then again, that’s the problem with scientism: it starts with a kernel of truth and in "inflates it into a cosmic nihilism (Rosenberg’s word, which he uses proudly) of increasingly uncertain grounding....

MORE: https://philpapers.org/archive/PIGISA
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Aug 8, 2017 04:14 AM)C C Wrote: Is science all you need? Massimo Pigliucci on a position that might be best forgotten - review of The Atheist’s Guide to Reality: Enjoying Life Without Illusions ... by Alex Rosenberg

(PDF) http://philpapers.org/archive/PIGISA.1.pdf

EXCERPT: “Scientism”, usually, is an insult. It is used in philosophy to connote an attitude of excessive infatuation with science, which leads one to discard other branches of knowledge or human experience and to care only about issues that are amenable to the scientific approach. As a former scientist and now philosopher, I have chastised some of my colleagues for their scientistic attitude, only to be told that “scientism” is simply a label that one attaches to positions one does not like. Just like using “pseudoscience” to dismiss, say, the paranormal; or “crook” to shrug off a politician.

I am therefore glad that Alex Rosenberg has written an entire book to make the case for scientism – the idea, he says, that “the methods of science are the only reliable ways to secure knowledge of anything” – as the only rational ideology one could possibly hold in the face of what science tells us about the way the world is. Thanks to him, I can no longer be accused of fighting a straw man. Rosenberg’s attempt is valiant and will give people much to think about. Except, of course, that according to Rosenberg we cannot really think such things because scientism “says” that chunks of matter cannot possibly produce thoughts about anything at all, on penalty of violating physicalism.

For Rosenberg there are simple, science-driven answers to all of life’s persistent questions, and he gives the short version right at the beginning of his book: Is there a God? No. What is the nature of reality? Whatever physics says it is. What is the meaning of life? Nope. Why am I here? Dumb luck. Is there free will? Not a chance. What is love? The solution to a strategic interaction problem. Does morality exist? No. And so on. In some cases I agree with Rosenberg’s answers, though I think his reasoning relies far too much on what after all are science’s provisional findings (I mean, until 15 years ago we thought the universe was slowing down; turns out it’s accelerating, maybe), while in other cases I think he is either wrong or at least does not come close to providing a satisfactory argument for his positions. Then again, that’s the problem with scientism: it starts with a kernel of truth and in "inflates it into a cosmic nihilism (Rosenberg’s word, which he uses proudly) of increasingly uncertain grounding....

MORE: https://philpapers.org/archive/PIGISA

Quote:I am therefore glad that Alex Rosenberg has written an entire book to make the case for scientism

& there are an almost inumerable quantity of books written on jesus, yet not a single 1 of them clearly define any physical proof for the reader to go and touch, feel & look at.

Quote: (I mean, until 15 years ago we thought the universe was slowing down; turns out it’s accelerating, maybe),

which leads me to ask(ponder), can mathamatics prove Gods existance past a probability statistic ?

Quote:chunks of matter cannot possibly produce thoughts about anything at all, on penalty of violating physicalism.

is a brain a lump of matter ?
Magical Realist Online
"In the end, Rosenberg’s scientistic nihilism
is analogous to radical scepticism about reality
(you know, the sort that suggests the disturbing
possibility that you may be a brain in a vat). It’s
thought provoking, there is no scientific evidence
that can possibly rule in its favour or against it,
and it is best promptly forgotten so that you can
get back to thinking about the things that really
matter to you."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insults, Slurs, and Other Pejorative Speech (Indian philosophy) C C 0 403 May 11, 2018 03:08 PM
Last Post: C C
  Scientism and origin Syne 32 4,166 Oct 4, 2017 08:49 AM
Last Post: RainbowUnicorn