Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The effects of extreme isolation

Magical Realist Offline
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140514...arps-minds

"Sarah Shourd’s mind began to slip after about two months into her incarceration. She heard phantom footsteps and flashing lights, and spent most of her day crouched on all fours, listening through a gap in the door.

That summer, the 32-year-old had been hiking with two friends in the mountains of Iraqi Kurdistan when they were arrested by Iranian troops after straying onto the border with Iran. Accused of spying, they were kept in solitary confinement in Evin prison in Tehran, each in their own tiny cell. She endured almost 10,000 hours with little human contact before she was freed. One of the most disturbing effects was the hallucinations.

“In the periphery of my vision, I began to see flashing lights, only to jerk my head around to find that nothing was there,” she wrote in the New York Times in 2011. “At one point, I heard someone screaming, and it wasn’t until I felt the hands of one of the friendlier guards on my face, trying to revive me, that I realised the screams were my own.”

We all want to be alone from time to time, to escape the demands of our colleagues or the hassle of crowds. But not alone alone. For most people, prolonged social isolation is all bad, particularly mentally. We know this not only from reports by people like Shourd who have experienced it first-hand, but also from psychological experiments on the effects of isolation and sensory deprivation, some of which had to be called off due to the extreme and bizarre reactions of those involved. Why does the mind unravel so spectacularly when we’re truly on our own, and is there any way to stop it?...."
C C Offline
In prison, violent offenders are still consigned to solitary confinement to protect the regular inmate population. Which just makes the former more mentally unstable, paranoid, and dangerous than ever when returning to that institution's regular environment (or physics forbid) the outside world.

Even this experimental new approach of finally giving them mental health care attention and slowly orienting them back to socializing with people can go for nought in the end.

Locked Up In America: Reducing Solitary Confinement, One Cell At A Time
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/articl...at-a-time/

Because once they're released and acquire a living space, a job, and even a girlfriend -- they lose it all by virtue of violating their probation with the slightest bit of trouble. Sent right back to the same penal establishment merry-go-round, including solitary confinement again if they punch or poke a shank into somebody. Still, far better than the former neglect of the situation.

Citizens tax-paying to keep a significant percentage of their population sardine-packed into correctional housing, with enhanced monsters eventually being cranked-out from the process as much as successful rehabilitations. Minimal interest or focus at the politically self-conscious top level of management for exploring supposed more fruitful strategies elsewhere in the world. What with the tribal narcissism and the momentum of cultural customs dominating. None of us can resist the handiness of sloppy, time-worn entertainment tropes sporting the equally accumulated baggage of deprecating caricatures within them: "By gawd, aw been living in this community here for forty-five years, and its traditional interpretations of what-za going on and response-approaches are good enough for me!"

- - -
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Aug 4, 2017 12:14 AM)Magical Realist Wrote: Why does the mind unravel so spectacularly when we’re truly on our own, and is there any way to stop it?...."

like all things that survive, humans are drawn together to survive.
thus any mental illness, virus or genetic aboration/anomaly that drives humans to be together is going to survive.

the very thing that as you say"drives people crazy during isolationism" could well be mental illness.

it would take some very spectacular long term studys to draw any conclusion past psychosis.
i.e do you include teenagers who have raised themselves by themselves and been alone all their lifes ?

the ability to define a base range for the psyche to be normalised against is quite a thing.
C C Offline
Been busy the last month, RU? Seems like you're down to one post a week or that neighborhood. EDIT: Nix that, more applicable to last week, I guess.

As if I of all people should be getting inquisitive about the vanishing spells of others. Wink

EDIT: And to think I once wondered what purpose the *strike* attribute could possibly have in being included in the BBcode of forums.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
(Aug 5, 2017 04:41 PM)C C Wrote: Been busy the last month, RU? Seems like you're down to one post a week or that neighborhood. EDIT: Nix that, more applicable to last week, I guess.

As if I of all people should be getting inquisitive about the vanishing spells of others. Wink

EDIT: And to think I once wondered what purpose the *strike* attribute could possibly have in being included in the BBcode of forums.

Big Grin  indeed ive been somewhat busy. with travel time, = close to 70 hour weeks for the last month or soo leaving not much time for anything outside the normal massive consumption of coffee & chocolate  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can now speak to dead relatives. Are we ready? (ethics, psychological effects) C C 0 142 Nov 7, 2022 09:32 PM
Last Post: C C
  Long term psychological effects of continued work from home Leigha 4 161 Aug 9, 2021 12:04 AM
Last Post: C C
  What babies see you no longer can + Opposite parenting effects + Antidepressant myths C C 1 536 Feb 3, 2016 08:38 PM
Last Post: Magical Realist