Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Northwest Heat Wave

Yazata Offline
They say that Portland could hit 109 tomorrow. My online weather map says that it's 89 in Portland right now (8:30 PM). 109 is awfully hot, like Phoenix and Vegas. Drink plenty of fluids, MR. (And vanilla chocolate chip ice cream is good.)

http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/index...._expe.html

The Canadians in Vancouver are complaining about the heat reaching the "high 30's" there. What? The ice might melt?

(C and not F? ... Never mind.) That sounds like Vancouver could even hit 100F. They are complaining of smoke haze in the air too, from forest fires.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/...fire-smoke
Zinjanthropos Offline
Just back from Ottawa. The past weekend was their first since March without any precipitation. As of the end of the month they were 1 mm short of a new rainfall record for July. In fact it has been extremely wet in most of Ontario since March. Last year we roasted.
Magical Realist Offline
"What dreadful hot weather we have!
It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance."
- Jane Austen

I'm surviving. My chiller unit yesterday kept it 74 degrees in my meager dwelling while outside roasted at 98. Today though will be the true test. 107 or higher. I have a high velocity fan as well that circulates my cooled air dutifully. I bask in this breath of hell to create in myself an appetite for the cold rains of winter. Bring it on I say that I may savor my state in the grey drenching heart of January.

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
Magical Realist Offline
We never made it to 107 due to a mass of fire smoke polluting our normally pristine air that descended from wildfires in BC Canada. The smoke has shrouded the entire Pacific Northwest, blocking the sunshine enough to drop the temps a little. But hell it's still hot. Upper 90's today as I sequester myself off inside my wooden cubicle.
C C Offline
(Aug 4, 2017 07:00 PM)Magical Realist Wrote: [...] The smoke has shrouded the entire Pacific Northwest, blocking the sunshine enough to drop the temps a little. [...]

"And profane words scrawled black across the sun." --Doom Of Exiles

- - -
Carol Offline
Yup, open my windows and use fans to suck the cooler air in at night, then close my windows and drapes in the day. So far this method has worked pretty well and cost less than air conditioning. However, isn't getting very cool at night and I may end up turning the air condition on for a couple of hours. I am sleeping with wet a towel in the night.

I remember southern California without air conditioning. My Dad would hose down the house and we slept with wet towels. I am not so afraid of the heat with that California experience.

We have our own fires contributing to the smoky skies. Now that does worry me. We are surrounded by mountains and timber. One fire was set by a camper and I hope that person doesn't get caught because I am sure it was unintended and that the camper doesn't have money. A normal camp fire doesn't seem like a big deal, but nature can surprise us! I am so thankful for the Smoky the Bear commercials that informed me of the danger many years ago. My young family had gone camping and no one thought to poke the fire pit as we packed to leave. Because I remembered Smoky the Bear talking about being sure the fire is out and poking the ground, I did and cinders flew into the air like a volcano! That stopped the guys and got them hauling water. It is just luck I remembered Smoky the Bear or my family could have been responsible for a major fire near Lake Tahoe. A very bad place to have a fire.

In Eugene, at least one church and Egan volunteers are passing out water and giving the homeless a cool place to stay during the day. The community has several cooling stations with water and air conditioning. We are all reminding each other to drink plenty of water. It is kind of fun having a mild survival challenge.

Quote:http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...rn_in.html
As several wildfires burned across the state Tuesday, the Oregon Department of Forestry declared a high fire danger for rural areas in Douglas and Lane counties.

Northern Douglas County and western Lane County west of Interstate 5 to the coast range are at a higher risk of fires, the department said. Areas of Lane County west of the coast range are at moderate fire danger level.

Residents are required to stop the personal use of gas powered or spark- emitting equipment between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. each day, the department said.

No spark emitting equipment?! What isn't timber land is farm land and the farmers are not going to like parking their equipment.
RainbowUnicorn Offline
the USA people voted to deny climate change.
It appears that the climate may be ignoring their voting preference.
how terribly inconvenient

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article Uncharted territory: Climate models can’t explain 2023’s huge heat anomaly C C 0 34 Mar 21, 2024 06:19 PM
Last Post: C C
  Article Scientists divided over whether record heat is acceleration of climate crisis C C 0 27 Mar 18, 2024 07:12 PM
  Article Research reveals extreme heat likely to wipe out humans & mammals in distant future C C 1 99 Sep 26, 2023 02:20 AM
Last Post: Zinjanthropos
  Drones and rockets bring rainfall to China + Worst heat wave on record C C 0 102 Aug 28, 2022 04:03 AM
  How heat waves are messing up your sleep C C 1 96 Jul 20, 2022 12:12 AM
Last Post: Magical Realist
  Heat kills thousands of cows in Kansas (next year big for food shortages) C C 0 68 Jun 18, 2022 05:11 PM
  Asia heat wave + Activists sabotage petrol pumps + Europe gas crisis + Next pandemic C C 0 115 Apr 29, 2022 07:16 PM
  Half of US faces apocalyptic summer + Unexpected: desert plants struggle in high heat C C 0 104 Jun 25, 2021 07:53 PM
  Record heat waves bake West + Energy imbalance: Earth trapping alarming sum of heat C C 0 102 Jun 18, 2021 05:15 PM
  Heat release from stagnant deep sea helped end last Ice Age C C 0 589 Aug 14, 2015 06:56 PM