Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Predatory Journals Hit By 'Star Wars' Sting

C C Offline
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuros...XVlZoqQyi4

EXCERPT: A number of so-called scientific journals have accepted a Star Wars-themed spoof paper. The manuscript is an absurd mess of factual errors, plagiarism and movie quotes. I know because I wrote it. Inspired by previous publishing “stings”, I wanted to test whether ‘predatory‘ journals would publish an obviously absurd paper. So I created a spoof manuscript about “midi-chlorians” – the fictional entities which live inside cells and give Jedi their powers in Star Wars. I filled it with other references to the galaxy far, far away, and submitted it to nine journals under the names of Dr Lucas McGeorge and Dr Annette Kin.

Four journals fell for the sting. 'The American Journal of Medical and Biological Research' (SciEP) accepted the paper, but asked for a $360 fee, which I didn’t pay. Amazingly, three other journals not only accepted but actually published the spoof. I hadn’t expected this, as all those journals charge publication fees, but I never paid them a penny. So what did they publish? A travesty, which they should have rejected within about 5 minutes – or 2 minutes if the reviewer was familiar with Star Wars. Some highlights....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How journals & academic enablers are corrupting reporting on crop biotechnology C C 0 97 Feb 2, 2024 04:33 AM
Last Post: C C
  A counter to the American Academy of Pediatrics hit piece on GMOs C C 0 107 Jan 27, 2024 08:25 AM
  Article WHO promotes quackery again + AI use seeps into academic journals C C 1 90 Aug 26, 2023 11:39 PM
Last Post: confused2
  Article An easy way to solve the problem of garbage in scientific journals C C 0 58 Jul 13, 2023 09:21 PM
  Article Why science & its journals should remain free of ideology: an example from "Nature" C C 0 70 Mar 23, 2023 02:50 PM
  The alarming rise of predatory conferences in science (not just predatory publishers) C C 0 222 Sep 20, 2022 02:21 AM
  'Woke' Scientific American goes anti-GMO + SciAm's hit job on E.O. Wilson C C 1 88 Jan 1, 2022 02:18 AM
Last Post: Syne
  Fashionable nonsense of med journals + Phthalates over-hype + Gibberish book chapter C C 0 65 Oct 24, 2021 10:52 PM
  Scientists move to strip offensive names from journals, prizes, and more C C 5 264 Jul 8, 2020 09:49 PM
Last Post: Yazata
  Social scientists revisit anthropology’s science wars C C 0 266 Oct 15, 2019 07:55 PM